iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good opening morning for firearms deer season

Started by Woodcutter_Mo, November 12, 2017, 04:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

Well yesterday was opening morning for firearms deer season here in Missouri. I didn't bring home the buck I was after but it was a good hunt none the less.

I got out to the property to hunt around 5:30, parked at the entrance and walked down the logging trail to a spot where I usually have good luck. Just before the sun came up there was a fair size buck that walked up to to about 20 yards away and stopped for a short bit and trotted off back down the trail, it wasn't light out enough to see what he was but I could make out a decent set of antlers.
About 7:30 I heared some leaves crunching and for bit I assumed it was squirrels because there were several running around but I heared an unmistakable heavy deer foot step to my left and slightly behind me and sure enough, there he was... The same large very tall 6 point that ironically did the exact same thing for the past 2 previous years. Walked up behind me between me and my truck and of course found my trail where I had walked down. We had a good several minute stare down at about 15 yards like always. He eventually left and I could never get the shot. But its nice to know he was still around surprisingly.

A little later a group of turkeys walked up pretty close and so I watched them until they made their way down into the woods.

At about 8:00 I was starting to get uncomfortable and decided I needed to get up and stretch my legs, and seen a smaller but still nice looking 6 point (actually 5 point with a 6th small nub) walking up towards me. I figured if he gave me too good of a shot I would go ahead and take him home with me. Well after about 15-20 minutes he did just that.

Over all, it was a good hunt even though I didn't get that larger 6 point. Hopefully I'll see him again during archery season. I still got to see several deer and turkeys and brought home some meat to put in the freezer.

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Magicman

Congrats on an exciting morning and a successful hunt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodcutter_Mo

Thanks, it was one of those hunts to where if I had went home empty handed I still would have been happy at the end of the day just getting to see so much that morning. Always better when you get to bring something home though.  :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Weekend_Sawyer

Congratulations, that is a W I D E  6 point!!!
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on November 15, 2017, 04:30:48 PM
Congratulations, that is a W I D E  6 point!!!

Thanks, yea by the shape he looks like he should have been a little 8 point
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Thank You Sponsors!