iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What about Choke Cherry?

Started by Mark M, May 01, 2003, 01:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

What can you tell me about Choke Cherry for sawing? I got a call from a tree service guy who said he had a big tree for me. The only choke cherry I am familiar with is about 4-6 inches in diameter. Is it similar to Black Cherry?

Thanks
Mark

Jason_WI

Usually they get as big as 6" in dia and die off. I would say go for it and see what happens.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Ron Wenrich

I think you'll find that all cherry is lumped together.  Seems that you can't be too choosey for logs there in ND.   :D

There is the possibility that choke cherry is just another name for cherry in your area.  I hear jack pine thrown around alot in PA, but there isn't any native jack pine.  

I have a couple of choke cherrys in my field.  They don't get that big and there will be a lot of sapwood.  Color seems a bit more orange than red.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Larry

If it is free and fits on the mill I saw it.  Sometimes you get pleasant surprizes!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

I'd call the guy back and ask him how big a trailer I needed to haul it home?? ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Mark M

I hope it isn't just a Nodak name for cottonwood. :o

Frank_Pender

Mark, out here we have what many of us call "Wild Cherry". It often does not get very large before it rots or is outgrown by the Fir or Maple.  I had two of my students who are cutters bring in four Wild Cherry logs a couple of days ago that were 8 and 10' long, with the smallest diam. on the fourth log being 14".  It was all from a single tree.   8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!