iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hughes net

Started by coxy, January 30, 2018, 07:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

does anyone have it if so how do you like it

Tom the Sawyer

Had it years ago.  It is OK only if you can't get anything else.  If anything other than dial-up is available - avoid Hughes.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

coxy

I have not had internet In 5 days at my house its DSL and they tell me they cant get there till next Monday  every day it goes out for a few hours  I was told hughes don't go out  they have 4 different plans but I'm not shur of the one to get need to do some more reading

DDW_OR

I have had Frontier Phone line DSL, then Excede and now have hughes net.
Frontier - I am the last one on the line, so longest run = slow
Excede - good and reliable
Hughes Net - good and reliable and cheaper than Excede.

i have the 20 Gig plan. there are two computers.
Hughes has a "free" time from 2 to 8 AM, local time.
"let the machines do the work"

uler3161

Satellite is only one step better than dialup imo.

Been a WildBlue (ViaSat) customer since 2006. At the time, that was better than what Hughes offered, but it isn't now. To counter that, ViaSat came out with Exede which is supposed to be comparable. It kind of depends on where you live. Where I'm at, I get 17GB download, 5GB upload and 3MBit speed. For the same price, Exede would raise speed up to only 5MBit and would be a 15GB plan in total (upload + download). There is a late night free zone, but I have access to other connections while at work, so I may as well just find a way to download at work and bring home with me. Since my WB has a higher cap, I've chosen to stay with it. But, if you're in the right place there are better plans. Some places have an unlimited plan. It's not truly unlimited, but I think it's 150GB before you get slowed down. Plus, ViaSat is almost ready to release new plans since they just put up a new Satellite.

Can't comment on how well Hughes does in bad weather. WildBlue has actually been pretty decent. Takes some pretty bad weather to cut out.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

coxy

I know nothing about computers so the more GB the faster the computer runs  ??? what is the diff between GB and  mbit  ???   

Corley5

Hughes Net doesn't go out?  Ya right >:(  It's unreliable here >:( >:( >:(  It SUXS!!!  But it's currently our only option.  Cable DSL is unheard of in this neighborhood, cell service is spotty.  Satellite is our best option and better than dial up.  If you've got DSL be patient for it to be repaired because Hughes Net is not DSL.  It goes out if it rains too hard.  Sometimes it just doesn't work maybe for a few minutes, maybe a couple hours.  The plans are limited.  It's expensive for what you get.  I don't have anything good to say about it.  It's better than dial up.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

TKehl

We have Exede/ViaSat.  Pretty reliable & reasonably fast. 

Goats yanked the cable out as the installation tech didn't but it in conduit.  One dead modem and one realignment of the dish in 4 years.  Weather doesn't bother it unless it's heavy enough to check for tornados.  Then when you REALLY need it, it don't work.   ;)

However, if I could get cable or DSL I would.  Satellite has data caps on any monetarily comparable plan. You still get internet after the cap, but it's only a little over dialup speed for the rest of the month.

Set your computer for manual updates.  Our new computer did a Windows updated on the 4th or 5th day of the cycle and we were at dialup speeds the rest of the month.   :'(

We had issues with DSL at our old house too.  There was a intermittent short under the street somewhere and we would loose i-net for a few hours every few nights.  Started having the cops show up wanting to look at the house as they said they got a call from 911.  I told them that was impossible as we were running dry loop and didn't have a phone, only cell phones.   :)  Turns out if a phone line is cut, 911 is automatically called, at least where we live.  After the 3rd time in a week I told ATT they needed to get a tech out ASAP as the cops and I were getting on first name basis.   :D  Once that was fixed, no issues til we moved.

One last note, we recently got a letter stating that Exede was changing it's name back to ViaSat as it translated better for overseas marketing or something.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Runningalucas

My only choice where I'm at was Verizon Home Fusion, or Hughes gen5.  I had the Verizon for 6 years; the jerks out sold their towers limits, and my area, whether Cellphones, or Home Fusion, both are horrible through Verizon.  Before Verizon outsold their capacity, speeds were 10 down, and 3 up.  I ended up filing FCC, and FTC complaints against them.  In turn, I got 2 months for free, and/or out of my contract with them.

We switched to Hughes net less than a month ago.  So far, We get 15 to 25 down, and 5 up.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Sixacresand

If you are rural,  there are generally no good options except satellite internet.  Cable and phone companies will not invest or maintain good DSL infastructure in rural areas. We could not even get a reliable landline telephone.  The cell company internet service is limited to distance/obstacles from a tower.  My experience with Hughesnet has been great, compared to the rural watered down DSL light we had for years until it finally quit.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Don P

Ditto. The phone here has been singing for about 2 weeks since the freeze/rain. I'm not going to make Frog and Dawg walk the mountain in this weather to apply some electric tape to an ancient line. Dialup was 3kbps on that line, really  ::) Got Exede/ViaSat now, it throttles at 10 gigs which is short of a month in winter but usually holds up in summer if we stay off you tubes. It goes out in heavy weather. No cell here. Less than third world service, we should do better.

cbay

All we can get here is satellite internet.   Had service since 2008, went from Wildblue to exede/viasat.   
The only thing i wish we could do is watch a lot of youtube to learn things.   Unfortunately 10 gb per month doesn't allow a whole lot of video.
I usually run out the remaining bandwidth the last couple days before it resets and dowload some videos related to things i want to learn about.
As far as reliability exede has been pretty good.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Don P on January 30, 2018, 10:27:58 PM
Ditto. The phone here has been singing for about 2 weeks since the freeze/rain. I'm not going to make Frog and Dawg walk the mountain in this weather to apply some electric tape to an ancient line. Dialup was 3kbps on that line, really  ::) Got Exede/ViaSat now, it throttles at 10 gigs which is short of a month in winter but usually holds up in summer if we stay off you tubes. It goes out in heavy weather. No cell here. Less than third world service, we should do better.

Sounds familiar. Let it rain and you may or may not have landline service. Call for service on a Verizon landline and here you have to go thru the wireless side. Set on hold till you finally get wireless tech only to be told they have to transfer you. Back in the que you go. Then you may get an out of country person. They just can't understand when they ask you what's wrong with it when you tell them " the dam thing isn't working"'
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Southside

As a HOLE Hughes Net is GREAT for forecasting pending storms, about 5 minutes before it rains the thing would go out, always knew it was gonna storm.  Like I said, as a HOLE it's great. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

loggah

We have had hughsnet for over 10 years ,and it has continually gotten better. We have Gen 4 right now ,and haven't upgraded yet to gen5. We would get cable if it was available here ,but Hughesnet is fine for now. Yes if a total snowstorm or absolute downpour happens you will momentarily loose your service.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

coxy

thanks for the info I think I'm going to try it

Corley5

Good luck with it.  One thing you can count on with Hughes Net is that it will fail when there is something that NEEDS to be done online.  You Tube won't always work even at the beginning of the month when the account is full.  Skype won't work.  Forget Netflix :)
  You can get a bundle deal now with Direct TV, AT&T, and Hughes Net.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

TKehl

FYI, there is a button on the bottom of youtube videos where you can downgrade the quality to save data (it looks like a gear).  I always have it set at 144 (lowest setting) unless there is a reason to move it. 

It's 50/50 if we make it or run out with a few days left.  Funny thing is after we hit the cap, I have no reservations about using Youtube for music or instruction.  That's when I binge.    ;D

Kids are so used to it that if something doesn't happen right away (the car won't start), they ask if it's loading.  :D  :D  :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

uler3161

Are there no wireless internet providers nearby? Here in rural Idaho, we have a number of them and the connections are pretty good. Unfortunately I live down in a canyon so I can't get signal or else I wouldn't think twice about getting rid of my satellite connection.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

TKehl

We have one that my parents use.  Were able to detect a signal at their house, but had to cut down 7 trees to get it strong enough to use.   :D

We are next door.  Tenth of a mile.  Way too many trees as the land lays different.  Same company had just put in a new tower 2 miles away in a different direction.  Land lays wrong.  Won't transmit through a hill.  Can actually get signal from a little rural town South of us, but was 15 miles and too much latency.  Told us they could hook us up if we built a 50' climbable tower.   ::)  It's been a few years now, I need to check with them again...

coxy

I have dsl and its horrible if and when its working it will go out most of the time I only get a few hours a day  they tell you to be home one day and they come a day early or a day late leave you a note saying sorry we missed you you need to make another appointment or we will be there between 8am and 4pm you sit home and no one shows up but they want there 45$ every month  >:( >:(   I don't go on Netflix  and once in a blue moon ill go on you tube

Dave Shepard

Parents have Hughes, but only because that's all that's available. The fiber has been run down the street, just waiting to find out when its going live.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

luvmexfood

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 31, 2018, 07:34:49 PM
Parents have Hughes, but only because that's all that's available. The fiber has been run down the street, just waiting to find out when its going live.
Down here they have actually ran fiber and hung it on poles in peoples yard to serve a business near by but a regulation prevented them from serving residential customers. Hopefully that is changing. It was a municipal government agency that got gov grants to run the lines but they finally had to sell it off to a private company. But not before the Feds put the CEO, CFO, and a vice president in jail as well as a board member and some contractors. Oh and the CFO's husband was a state judge and he went to. They ran 7 miles of fiber to serve one business. A rock quarry.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Dave Shepard

Fiber was run down my road to a single house a couple of years ago by Verizon. Personal friend of a Verizon executive. This time it is by the town. Should be hooked up by spring is the last I heard.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chuck White

I've been getting a few Hughes Net flyers in the mail lately!

There will probably be some good sales on internet providers in the not to distant future!

Spectrum, who bought out Time Warner Cable is going house to house and we were told that the powers-to-be here in NY have forced them to go house to house and figure out cable routes because they have to provide cable (coaxial) to every household in NY!

Absolutely True, it's anybody's guess, but that's what we were told by the tech that came by my brothers house, by the way, the tech is/was from Tennessee!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!