iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Broken Band Saw Blades......?

Started by ElectricAl, July 15, 2002, 08:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

Broken blades are a real disposal problem!
We tried to take them to the metal recycler, and they complained about the danger of them uncoiling and killing someone.
So we started to landfill them.
Recently our brother-inlaw started to mess around in the Blacksmith "thang".  We gave him 20 or more blades. One day he called and asked what the difference was in the blades. He said one metal is better than the other.
We run WM  1 1/4  .042  7/8TS and
Simonds Red Streak  1 1/4  .042  3/4TS
Apparently, the Double Hard blades work better for making knives. The Brother-inlaw does some type of heat treatment to the blade then grinds and hones to perfection.
Then he dips one end in a liquid rubber stuff for the handle. We'll have to drop off some wood for different handles.
We got one to demo, though about trying to cut a metal band then a tomato. Works on TV!!!

Anyone else got this much gumption?

After sawing 6 days a week, the last thing I want to do is fiddle with a broken blade.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

I have gone through periods of boredom or exuberance or something that caused me to play around with making knives out of my broken bands. They were rather rough being made from the band directly by only grinding, shaping and sharpening.  Handles were scraps of wood riveted to the blade.  

My wife has used them in the kitchen and my customers who butcher hogs took a likening to them because they could control the size of the handle and the blade.  They like large handles and short, strong blades.

I go through spurts where they will ask for a broken blade for knife stock.  I quit making them because I think I suffer from "Attention Deficit Disorder"  :D

ElectricAl

Tom,

I don't have what it takes to sit down and hone for an hour.

If I'm not sawing, I'm sorting logs or checking the kiln or cleaning under the saw, or pulling maintaince. You know, all the things that just cant wait!  It needs to be done right away!

I have a real problem with braking away.

Bought a camper a few year back, ( to relax ).  Went twice in three years. Good investment.

ElectricAl

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

I've got a cousin that makes custom knives and is a member of BAM.  I gave him a blade and he made some simple kitchen and fillet knives out of them.  He thought he could use them in some of his Damascus designs.  He said he'd take some more so I gave him a good armload the next time.  That's been a couple of years ago and I've asked him if he's ready for more and he said he had enough to last a life time.

Here is an example of his work.  His knives range from a couple hundred on up and take 6 months to a year to get him in the mood to make one.  Many go to Japan.

The designs you see on the blade are not etched in.  They are formed by hammer welding and folding two or more types of steel.  The deer for example, started out as a 4" square block of steel.  The silhouette of the deer was cut out of two blocks by some computer-guided laser or plasma cutter and the inside deer shapes swapped. (One dark on light background and one light inside dark.) Each block was hammered into a long bar.  Sections of the bar were cut and hammered to even smaller sizes - note the yet smaller deer pictures near the point.  Then cross section slices were hammer-welded edge to edge to make the total pattern.  You may be able to make out eagles and elks, dogwood blossoms, and some geometric shapes.  There is even an RW - his initials.

The wood grain look at the edge and tip are formed by taking two types of steel and hammering welding them together then folding the result and hammering welding them together.  The process continues until there are a couple hundred layers.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ARKANSAWYER

ElectricAl,
  I send my bands to Re-sharp as well as the broken ones.  They take the broken ones out and put in a new band and send back a full box.  I do not know what Will does with all of them old bands.
  If I could get that much for a knife I think I would buy an anvil.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Arkansawyer,
Cousin has an anvil but he also has a hydraulic press and an old drop hammer forge that he does most of the forging on.  He uses a gas furnace to heat his steel.  He got a milling machine and a basement full of other tools.  He can talk about metallurgy until your eyes glaze over.  :o

He may charge $400 or more for the simple knife pictured here but would probably have more than 100 hours into making it.  I'll stick with my Wood-Mizer. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!