iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My New Setter

Started by Fla._Deadheader, February 18, 2003, 05:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Thought maybe ya'll might like to see some pics. I used Suffolk Machine's unit for a pattern. They claim they can set a blade in 2 minutes, once the unit is set up. I figger I should be able to do it in 4 minutes then??  I am waiting for the dial indicator, so I can make the tool to check the set.

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Noble_Ma

Hey Harold,

I got that video for the setter and profile sharpener from Suffolk too.  Looked like they make a nice product but the prices really shocked me.  It looks like you did a good job on the setter and would be really interested in seeing how it does for you.  I have a cousin who is a machinist by trade and he says tell him what I want and he can make it.  I just need to know what to tell him ???

D._Frederick

Fla_,
Nice work! Did you mill the thick pieces or torch them? Lot cheaper than a grand.

Tagerts_crossing

WOW!  You could build them and market those in your spare time and make a good side line business.  I bet you have alot of spare time Ha! :D    But if you do let us know.  Looks good  John
John Schoolcraft

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks guys. Actually, I cut all the parts with a bandsaw (that I re-designed a few years back).  :D    Guess ya'll can tell, I Don't like off the shelf stuff ??  :D :D :D

What I did was run the video about 10 times, to familiarize myself with how it worked, and then ran it 1 more time, stopping at key positions, and used the ole digital camera. Then I printed out what I wanted and headed to the shop.

This thing took about 30-40 hours of cuttin, head scratchin, and other stuff, to actually build. Now that I made this one, I could chop off, probably, 10 hours.

I had everything on hand but the channel base and the flat bar that squeezes the blade. The heavy stuff was left over from the large Ironworker type punch press we built, several years ago, to punch our Stainless scoop buckets and bend STUFF. It REALLY bends stuff. I use that to bend the shanks for our cant hooks.

Actual cost of material, if I bought it all at one time,would be about $75.00 or so.
   First, it is ridiculed;

dan-l-b

Nice work Mr Deadheader. 8) 8)

Fla._Deadheader

Noble_Ma, just give yer cousin the video. If he's any good, he should be able to whip one out in a few hours. ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Noble_Ma

Every time I talk with my cousing about building something, his wife gives me a dirty look. :-/  I guess he's not getting his chores done at home too ;D  I have done some milling for him and he did say he would help so I just might do that.  Good idea Harold.

Fla._Deadheader

It's really a simple design. It just takes looking at it from different angles, to figger out the way it functions, by squeezing the exact same way, every time.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ron Scott

Harold,

There doesn't seem to be anything that you can't build or invent yourself. Ouite a problem solver and engineer!
~Ron

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Ron. I'm not as smart as a lot of folks. I just have the knack of being able to get things to work, especially if someone tells me "I can't do that". :D :D Whenever anyone says "you can make anything", I tell them, yep, I can make anything but money ?? :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Naw..........   You can't make money, Harold. :)

ADfields

Yea Harold you cant make money!   You aint got enough schooling to know how to make money. :P

;D ;D ;D

Bro. Noble

Dear Harold,

I don't see why your metal punch couldn't be adapted.  I'd use the plates you messed up and cut the psi down to 5 or 10 psi to test it incase it messes up the plates. (I never dreamed when I told you I thought it was Teddy on the hunnard that you would have thought I meant that knucklehead)

I think you have a good idea on the 75 for a nitch market.  How many times have you heard a clerk tell the person in front of you "nope, can't cash your 100-----all's I gots is 75".  I also agree that he would look DanG good on the 75 with that s**teatin hat and all them whiskers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance------I know you can do it.  You'll show them guys.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

johnjbc

Well You have been told you can't !!  
Now I'm waiting to see samples  20's will do 8) 8)

dont let the
  get you

hope you look good in BARS

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Fla._Deadheader

Sorry guys, I Don'T frequent bars!! :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

I've been thinkin. Several guys have contacted me about how to do this or that. I Don'T mind a bit sharing info, as long as it is proven to be good info. I feel there are people out there that would like to build a mill, for economic reasons (that's why I did it ) and I might be interested in building a few sawheads and setters, at a reasonable price, and offering them to the public. I copied 2 well engineered designs, although I did do some things differently. I Don'T want to get into a Pi**in contest with any manufacturers. As far as the setters, I could provide the parts and the buyer would supply the bolts and drill holes, maybe, or whatever?? Let me know what ya'll think??  If anyone is interested, let me know, and we can discuss it.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!