iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need help!

Started by dickhayhurst, June 26, 2003, 12:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dickhayhurst

I would appreciate some good old American knowhow!....I use my Husky frequently and it serves me very well but for one recurring fault....First thing in the morning it won't start....I have to take the top cover off....remove the plastic fuel line from the carb....blow down it (plastic fuel line).....fuel spurts out of it......push it back onto carb......full choke and it starts first time and then stops and starts real good all day! .....The filter on the end of the fuel line in the tank has got some sort of weight inside (can't take it apart) and it seems to get sucked against the fuel line entry (blowing down the line  pushes it back) but I'll be damned if I can figure out why it only happens when it's not used for a few hours.

Rob

Well first I would like to welcome you to the forestry forum.. ;Dand second from what it sounds like to me is you should go and get yourself a new fuel filter and try that first especially if you say it has some weight to it,it's probably getting plugged up.Try that and let us know if it still does it,also what model Husky is it?

Rob.

Oregon_Rob

What he said. Take your old one, or the saw, with you when you go to the saw shop, there are many different hose sizes. Mine cost me a whole $3.25.
Chainsaw Nerd

dickhayhurst

Thanks Rob & Oregon Rob....The model is 340....I'd already changed the filter.......there is a `weight' inside the filter if you turn it end to end you can hear it sliding up and down.........`Oregon Rob,   the size of the hose can't be changed as the O.D. has to be a snug fit in the exit-hole thru the top of the tank, from which it goes to the carb.We are somewhat isolated here and generally have to look after ourselves.

Rob

Well if that did'nt work I would have to say get yourself a rebuild kit for the carburetor and go too town on it,it's possible that it could have a air leak from a torn gasket,bad diaphram etc..worth a try they usually only run about $5-8,you should also check the feuel line itself..keep us posted

Rob.

Oregon_Rob

I didn't mean to change the fuel line, just to take your filter with you so you could match the new one up to the old one, but sounds like you are ahead of us.
Chainsaw Nerd

Tillaway

Check the tank vent too.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

ladylake

I'd vote for the vent being plugged. Just try taking the fuel cap off and on befor you try starting it.
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dickhayhurst

Thanks for the suggestion re; Vent...it makes sense (all I have to do is find it) it's not mentioned in the manual. Next time I finish for the day I'll lay it on it's side with the cap loose and  let you know if it does the trick.

Kevin

Quotefull choke and it starts first time and then stops and starts real good all day!

This leads me to believe it isn't a venting problem, it should die out while the saw is running.

A crankcase pressure test might be in order.

dickhayhurst

Hello to you all....after laying it on it's side with the fuel cap loose it started OK .....I think there must be an air leak (as Rob suggested) allowing primed fuel to run back into the tank from the carb. I took the small plate off the top of the carb but there were no tears or holes in the rubber diaphram. The manual I got with this saw is just about useless from a repair point of view, they must think we're all within spitting distance of an agent.    

KiwiCharlie

G'day dick,
Check out ebay.  You may be able to find workshop and troubleshooting manuals for sale, for your model.  Or a friendly email to Husky Australia might get you one, given your remoteness.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Minnesota_boy

A carburator on a chainsaw has two removeable sides, one with a rubber diaphram with a metal plate attached to the center.  This one controls the amount of fuel in the carburator.  on the other side is a second diaphram, either rubber or plastic that is the pump and valves for pumping the fuel.  A leak here will give you those symptoms.  A streched diaphram will not pump enough fuel for startup.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

dickhayhurst

Thanks to you all for the help, I've eyeballed everything I can but to no avail. If I lay it on it's side 5mins before use it starts fine so I aim to just keep doing that (got to get on with the work) I hope you all had a great Fourth of July.

Neil_B

After you fill up the saw, rock it side to side a bit. You will notice that the fuel level drops down in the tank letting an air pocket out.

Might help. ???

Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

dickhayhurst

Thanks for that New sawyer, I'll give it a go, I didn't think Canadians would know much about chainsaws (only joking!)........  

Kevin

We don't, we're experimenting with yours!

dickhayhurst

Thank You Sponsors!