iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old barn/new doors

Started by giant splinter, June 12, 2012, 09:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giant splinter

I recently built a couple doors for my old barn out of red fir and would like to find a way to accelerate the process that creates the weathered look on the fresh wood. The barn has never been painted and has a nice sun burt natural texture and appearance. I am sure there are many others just as impatient as I am about this kinda thing and I bet someone has a secret formula that they have used to obtain the weathered finish that will match the rest of the barn. Thanks for any help or suggestions on this subject.
roll with it

Rooster

Step #1... Make list of things to do that will keep you busy for 5 years.

Step #2... Finish everything on your list.

Step #3... Check to see that the new doors have aged.

For better results, repeat steps 1-3 as needed.

Good luck,

Rooster   ;)
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

shinnlinger

Vinegar and steel wool will darken and burning and then rubing with a wire brush is another technique    Try them on scrap first!!!!!!!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Banjo picker

I second the vinigar and steel wool....I have seen it done to red oak that I sawed for a customer and it looks awsome...I don't know about your red fir...Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

shelbycharger400

sandblast   , but dont go ape on it

Thank You Sponsors!