iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I am new to this site

Started by Coon, March 25, 2005, 12:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Hello everyone. 
   I am new to this site but not to the wood industry.   I have been reading posts here and watching this site for a few days now and WOW what a motherload of information on this site.
  I am from east central Saskatchewan, Canada and have been in love with the woods trades all my life.   I have worked at some aspect of the trade all my working life.  I have even bought myself a Wood-mizer LT40HDG25 just over three years ago and love the machine.   Just over a year ago I converted the mill over to a 33 hp Kubota deisel and WOW what a difference that made to the sawing in the early spring and late fall when the logs are half frozen.  The mill cuts 6 and 7 days/week right now as I have two guys hired custom sawying.   Presently I am in the process of buying another  Wood-mizer  (LT40HDG24) used with a bad engine to allow myself to be able to cut my own logs that I got out this winter as well as to be able to do some more custom cutting locally as my other mill is cutting about 4 hours away from here.
  The species that I commonly cut are: white spruce, black spruce, tammarack, Manitoba Maple, white birch, white poplar, several species of willow, apple, and jack pine.   I have cut other woods such as plum, elm, Scotch pine, ceadr, and fir.
I have not yet built myself a solar kiln but I plan on building a couple of smaller ones to dry boards up to 16 foot lengths.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Percy

Yock-She Myish Brad
Welcome......nother Canadain....cant have too many of them(us). I didnt know Saskatchewan had trees :D :D :D :D Just kidding.....
Two mills, very neat. Take some pics of your stuff and postem up here.... ;D ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ARKANSAWYER

I went to Saskatoon (?) one time and it was the blizzard Capital of the world or something like that.  All I saw was wheat fields and a town about every 10 miles.  There were some small trees in what was called creeks.  Good to know something is there besides wheat.   Glad to hear from you and hope you post more.
ARKANSAWYER

Coon

I am about 2 and1/2 hours east and north of Saskatoon and live near the town of Kelvington.   And yes, we do have trees here.    While logging this winter  off of our own land I cut down a huge spruce that ended up measuring  57 inches across the but and was about 130 feet tall.   Where we live we are just south of the Porcupine Provincial Forest Reserve to say the least.   We are along the northern edge of the grain belt and from there north is the forestry.

tnlogger

Brad welcome to the forum  8) 8)
gene

Gord From Emsdale ON

I'm fairly new too, so welcome!

I'm in Emsdale,  Ontario. Right now I have  a Norwood Lumbermate, but someday, I hope to have a Woodmizer. I've been cutting 18-26 inch pine  for a few weeks now, so far I have over 3000 lineal feet of 1x6 pine boards for the inside of my house, plus numerous 1x4 & 1x5 pine for trim.

Ernie

Welcome Brad, you'll love it here.

Keep it up Gord ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

iain

how many Canuckies we got on here now?   must be near enouch the whole population :D
any one from the   PRQ  (peoples republic of Quebecistan)?  (that last remark should mean no entry to vancouver this summer) :D

welcome in coon the posts are warm

iain

Tom Sawyer

Welcome Brad.  I think there must still be 2 or 3 of us Canadians who haven't signed up yet.  I bet they are lurking though ;D ;D ;D

dutchman

Welcome Brad.
What convinced you to join?

smwwoody

Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Coon

"What convinced me to join?"  Well that's a pretty easy question.  I LOVE ALL ASPECTS OF THE WOOD TRADES. n  People on this site seem to be very friendly  not like on Woodweb.   Glad to meet you people.  Happy Easter everyone.

Tom

Glad to meet you too, Coon. :)

OneWithWood

Hello, Coon.  Glad to make your acquaintance.  One of the people who had a profound affect on me in my formative days hailed from Saskatoon.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Welcome to the forum coon. I'm way out east, that means someplace beyond Ontario. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

OnewithWood  who may that be from Saskatoon?  I do know alot of people there and if not I may have heard the name.

OneWithWood

Quentin Johnson.  He left Saskatoon in the mid sixties to become a priest.  I met him at a camp for boys run by his order.  The camp was located outside of Orillia, Ontario on Lake Simco.  Everyone called him 'Q'.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Coon

Sorry, not a clue of him but just the same anyways.  Nice to meet some people here with the disease--- "Wood on the Brain"

Thank You Sponsors!