iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When can I remove Stickers

Started by Baron, April 08, 2019, 09:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron

8)I have a barn full of lumber and slabs that is dry having been previously dried out of doors for two+ years. When can I feel safe in removing the stickers in order to consolidate these stacks and make more room? :o
Baron

jimparamedic

How long ha it been inside? I usually drop to 3/8 driers after about 6 months in side just to be safe.

Brad_bb

When the wood is down to ambient moisture (12-15%).  Do you have a moisture meter? If you flat stack the wood, you cannot keep it outside where it can get rained on or condensation can occur.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

pine

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 08, 2019, 11:29:39 PM
When the wood is down to ambient moisture (12-15%).  Do you have a moisture meter? If you flat stack the wood, you cannot keep it outside where it can get rained on or condensation can occur.
12% I can see.  I would be a bit nervous at 15%.  Is it really ok at 15%?

Ianab

Quote from: pine on April 09, 2019, 01:41:50 AM12% I can see.  I would be a bit nervous at 15%.  Is it really ok at 15%?

Fungus won't grow if the MC is below about 20%. EMC where I live is about 14%, so I wouldn't have any worries about flat stacking at 15%. If your climate is a bit drier, then leave it a bit longer to be safe and complete the drying. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!