iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Remove the powerhead!

Started by TexasTimbers, March 20, 2007, 01:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Don't forget this basic precaution when things start to go awry. Had I not acted quickly, and without hesitation, I would have watched my 395XP get squashed to bits. Seconds after I removed the powerhead the big oak spun, fell, and drove the 36" bar which had been pinched into the ground. Had the powerhead been on the end of it, it would have probably been a total loss.
As it was, no damage to Helga.  8)

There is quite a bit to this story but it's too late to tell. Bottom line I knew it wasn't going to go where I wanted but proceeded anyway. Another lesson learned.

Hilda (the 372) is sitting there on the stump for perspective just ignore her.

It was not easy to get Helga off the bar with that external clutch. I worked frantically and got it done while the big "CRACK" and "POP" were telling me I had little time. Next time I approach a tricky cut, I might use Hilda even though she is smaller just because she is easier to get off the bar.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ironwood

I have left a few bars liek that one. Bars are CHEAP!!! ;D Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bitternut

Glad you got the powerhead off safely for it and you. ;)

Thats a strange looking stump though. I don't see any hinge there. That must be another story I guess. ???

bull

Did you forget something.... I don't see any hindge wood ????????????

stump and log butt look flush and clean ???????   Wedge looks way to small.....

As Adam Sandler said in Billy Madison " Back to School, Back to School " !!!

TexasTimbers

Can't slip nothing past yuou fellers. It was a farce from the get-go. The wedge is too small but it IS bigger than it looks in the pic. Still too small and when I flipped it out I say "I ought to cut a bigger wedge" but didn't do it.
Then, the wind was in the exact wrong direction and gusting, not steady. But the limbs were sufficiently weighted on one side that I figured it would overcome that. I figured I would cut into the pie a little, which I had placed on the heavy side of the tree, and just come in from the backside. I did all of this to save as much of the trunk as possible in case you are still scratching your head. This big spalted red oak is gonna join the slab pile, and for me to get the piece out of it I wanted with the lenght I wanted AND both branches at the split I could not be fooling around with doing it right. ::)
Anyway, the weight of the tree had a battle with the wind while my blade was buried and at work. When it pinched not only was I NOT suprised but almost relieved to know that justice had been served. I did not deserve to get away with going against proper felling techiniques and this reinforced what I already knew . . . . . quit pushing the limits! I did not endanger myself although it may seem to some I had simply by not following protocol.
In the end, I got lucky and it was a success. I got the trunk intact and the exact length I wanted with no splits. 8) Just a bruised ego and Helga nearly had a heart attack. :)

OneWithWood

The one lesson that took way to long for me to learn was that everytime I cut corners or went against what I knew to be true something got broken.  Glad it was just the bar.
Be careful out there! :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

isawlogs

OWW , we must be related ...  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

D Martin

I must be blind I dont even see a wedge. glad to see the powerhead made it

bull

look at the butt of the log bottom right hand corner of picture 2 inches to the right of the Bar tip

sawguy21

Quote from: isawlogs on March 20, 2007, 05:02:23 PM

OWW , we must be related ...  ;) :)
:D :D :D :D Isn't that the truth.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ironwood

I like to cable them to a winch, Cut a wedge and stand WAY WAY back and crank her till you hear cracking and popping (If your far enough away you don't even hear that).

That's safe cutting IMHO! Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TexasTimbers

Can't argue with that. I have a 150' 3/4" rope I have used in the past but I didn't bring it. I was planning on cutting pine only. Then stumbled across the big Red Oak with the terminal illness. Couldn't let 'er go to waste.
Still I could have avoided the mishap with a little more thought. I should have lopped off the two heavy branches and put the wedge on the other side, then the wind would have been my friend. I just didn't want to work from the bucket and take all that time.
From now on I will treat my rope like my American Express card.

Burlkraft

What was da number and expiration date on dat card.... ??? ??? ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Kevin

We have a problem with the wood freezing up here in the winter.
The wood just fractures in the cold and there is no fiber pull.
When a tree is unbalanced due to weight or lean it really needs a good hinge and wedging.
Wind can send a tree just about anywhere when there's no hinge.
Thanks for the pictures and letting others know what can happen.

OneWithWood

Marcel and sawguy,

It is entirely possible.  My mother's side of the family are French speaking folk north of the border.  Many migrated over to the BC area.
I am certain I get the bulk of my brilliant move genes from her side  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

D Martin

Thats why I didnt see a wedge, I was looking for the hard plastic wedge you pound in withe a sledge or ax not your face notch. Since the first time I had a tree set back on me I dont even think about not using one even on a nice day. Scary stuff ,glad your ok

LT40HDD51

I heard of a trick one time for this type of case. Take the powerhead off, bend down a small sapling and tie it off to the bar and chain. Then as soon as the weight is lifted off the bar it will pop right out (so goes the story). Anyone ever try this?
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Ironwood

LT40,

Isn't that how the Saturn 5 mission over came the intial gravitational pull of the earth?  Sounds good to me, at least in theory.

Reid

snowman

Over the years I've learned the hard way to always tap a  safety wedge into the back cut unless the tree has a very heavy lean and theres no wind. If however you don't have a wedge in and the tree starts to sit back, don't try to back the bar out the same way you put it in. Push the powerhead and pivot the bar out, it's way faster.Sometimes when you do this the only thing stuck in the tree is your chain right by the powerhead.If theres time you can usually chop it out,if theres not you can chop the chain where its stretched out from the bar, pops like a rubberband and chains are cheap in comparison to saws and bars.

Thank You Sponsors!