iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wife wants these 4x4 perfect

Started by fivedogs, April 19, 2009, 08:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivedogs

my wife wants to spend all day making a rough 4x4 perfect isn't  it acceptable  to have it a little heavy or  light i'm talking  1/4in  n to a 1/8in off  little help  before we go to bed  arguing.

maple flats

just cut what she wants. You will NEVER win an argument with any woman. ;D
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

tyb525

Your bandmill should have a scale accurate enough to get within 1/8th at least. If you plan on surfacing these, then 1/8th or more over what you want the final thickness to be is almost mandatory.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ErikC

You should be able to cut within an 1/8, most mills when kept right will be more accurate than that unless the logs are under tension. I wouldn't waste my time arguing about it, you'll lose.  :D  Spend your time running the mill, "What? I can't hear you over this engine!"
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Chico

Take her to a pro store give her a tape and tell her find one it won't happen varience is a fact of life it's keeping it to a minimum that counts
Chico
Then Run ;D
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Kevin

I had a problem milling 5x5's one day and spent most of the day trying to figure out why the lumber wasn't square.
It was 5x5 but wasn't square and everything on the mill appeared set up properly.
Ended up being the dogs, they were square as they sat but when pressure was applied by the clamping the log against them they would go out of square.
The posts are now cutting perfectly square.

Meadows Miller

Quote from: Chico on April 20, 2009, 02:15:13 AM
Take her to a pro store give her a tape and tell her find one it won't happen varience is a fact of life it's keeping it to a minimum that counts
Chico
Then Run ;D

Ahmen Brother  ;) :D ;D 8) 8)  i target about +-1/12 if im in a rush but if im taking my time i can get about +-1/24th On the target size  ;) ;D ;D but im known as a Fussy Barstard with my sizing ;) :D ;D ;D 8) 8) Ill add just before you start running  :D :D :D Ask for a Planer while your at it  ;) :D  :D ;D and tell her thats how the big boys Do it  ;) :D :D :D ;D ;)

Reguards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

old joe

Practice 'til you get it right.  When momma's happy everyones happy!!!
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

ARKANSAWYER

Send her over and I will cut her some on the scragg mill and then she will think yours are really good.   ;D   By now you should know to give her what she wants before she changes her mind.
ARKANSAWYER

ely

be happy and content that you have a wife that even knows whats a 4x4 is..... let alone ;D knows it is not perfect.

Modat22

if its a little under soak em in water. if its a little over toss it in a cool fire for a little bit and tell her its the rustic look  :D
remember man that thy are dust.

JimMartin9999

Uh, maybe I ´m missing the point here
If you want perfect 4x4´s, cut them big and plane them.
Jim

bandmiller2

Five doggies,ask her to come out to the mill and show you how.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!