iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting crotch wood

Started by brdmkr, February 06, 2006, 11:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I have my eye on a cherry tree with a pretty substantial crotch.  I have been looking at photos of crotch wood that others have posted, and it seems that some appear to cut with the crotch laying down while others cut them on edge.  It seems to be a matter of personal preference.   Is this correct?  Any suggestions?  Thanks much.

Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

BBTom

If you want a streak of flame in lots of boards, you cut it laying down. OO

If you want a couple boards with wide arc of flame, you cut it on its side.  8
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

woodbowl

I cut some poplar the other day at the position of " oo ". Within a few boards I realized that the " Y " was going to give me a split in every board. I turned the cant and cut them all in the " 8 " position. The " Y " then gave me only a couple of boards that fell apart. I don't know which position would have been the prettiest. You only get one shot to find out. I've got nice grain on both positions but I'm not sure which position and which species would yeild the best on the average.

This is a different piece of Poplar on the " oo ".

This is pecan on the " 8 ". .....I think.  ::) ....... Hey Dang, which way did we cut that pecan?

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

DanG

Man, it was hard to tell after all that flipping and turning you bandmill types do.  I got dizzy and lost track of it. ::) ???

Looking at those 2 boards on the right, it looks like you split the pith right down the middle in the "00" position.  You can see the original crotch right there in the pith.  I got those babies buried in the middle of a stack and I'm trying to resist the temptation to dig in there and check on them.

Mike, is that the same cherry tree you've been drooling over the fence at ever since you got the mill? ::) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Gilman

That's a good point woodbowl.  
So if you have what appears to be a clean U shaped crotch you'd cut it with it laying down, or from a view looking down on the mill, the log would form a Y (I think this is the 00 position?).

If the crotch is a V which probably has more inclusions you might be better to go with the crotch on edge and create boards with flame in them.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

iain

jpgreen

Perdy wood.. smiley_bounce

Is there a standard thickness y'all cut these crotches at? If so what is it, and why?.. smiley_beertoast
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

brdmkr

Dan,

You got it 8).  I have a fellow says he'll bring it down for me.  I'm thinking it will make some pretty wood.  Of course with a swing mill, I suppose I could change my mind once I get in it.  I do like to make bigger vertical cuts though. 

Of course if I make vertical cuts, then 8=00 and 00=8, relative to band mills :o.

You did get some very pretty boards 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

rebocardo

Woodbowl, I love those pictures. It is sooooo pretty it almost does not seem real.

Tom

What pretty Pecan!

I always approach a crotch with it laying on the mill such that it looks like a pair of pants.  My boards utilize the "Y" even if there is a bark inclusion that causes a crack.  The figure is so great in this position that I feel it is worth it for someone to glean the good wood from around the crack.  I've never been happy with the figure of a crotch cut in, what y'all are calling " the 8 position.  One or two board might have figure but it is mostly just endgrain.  The flame image can be obtained from a regular log that is propped up on one end and cut at an angle.   If I cut a crotch in the 8 position, it is only to get the thing narrow enough to fit the mill when laid back down.  :)

Raphael

I'll second that, flat (oo) and to the maximum capacity of the saw.

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SPIKER

boy thats some pretty pecan wood!  8)

one BBTOM cut tuesday was some pretty stuff but the dang theng kept making a mess of it's self.  it was tanding UP 8 shaped on the mill (band mill woodmizer) and the lower butt section was 1/2 rotted too which left some really nice paterns but in a log which had too many cracks, rotted spots & general problems.  one section would have made a really rustic wall hanging  ;)   I'f I'd a had my truck I might have loaded it up but we tossed it into the fire pile :(

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!