iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prequel to the Barn Raising

Started by Brian_Weekley, December 31, 2013, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

Had so much fun making my barn raising slideshow, I had to make another one highlighting the construction.  Guess I have too much free time on my hands--I need to start working on another building for 2014!   :P

http://youtu.be/q_BwaKN2rko
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Very nice thanks for sharing.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

dukndog

Thanks a bunch!! This helps light a fire under me to get my project going again!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

samandothers

Really nice!

Glad you did this really is neat to see particularly after seeing the construction of the barn. Thanks for doing this.

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: dukndog on December 31, 2013, 10:38:59 AM
This helps light a fire under me to get my project going again!!

Sounds like a great New Year's resolution to me!   8)
e aho laula

purple otter

Really nice video and frame! It sure makes me want to cut another one too! Happy New Year!
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

Stinny

Some very nice joinery Brian. Does the auger jig have a special name or brand? I've only seen lots of old bits with T handles. That hand operated and portable "drill press" was very cool. 
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Stinny on December 31, 2013, 08:55:39 PMDoes the auger jig have a special name or brand? I've only seen lots of old bits with T handles. That hand operated and portable "drill press" was very cool. 
If you search for "Timber frame boring machine" or "Timber frame barn drill" you'll find lots of photos.  There were many different manufacturers such as Millers Falls, Ajax, Snell, Boss, etc.  Back in the day, there were probably over 100 patents for these types of machines.  They can still be found in flea markets, antique stores, ebay, etc.
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

QuoteThey can still be found in flea markets, antique stores, ebay, etc.
And in the for sale section of the forestry forum.
They are called boring machines and they are similar to a drill press but they don't have any down pressure. The bit has a lead screw tip and it pulls the bit into the wood.

I have done a lot of demo videos on youtube showing the different kinds of machines that are still available. Check out my channel if you want to see some demo videos.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stinny

Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

canopy

At what stage will the peg holes go in?

WmFritz

You've done a great job on your slide shows and even better job on your frame. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: canopy on January 01, 2014, 07:54:58 PM
At what stage will the peg holes go in?

Since many of the timbers were cut a year in advance to the raising, I waited to bore the peg holes in case the timbers shrunk.  The holes were offset for draw-boring.  I bored most of the holes just a day or two before the raising.  Some were drilled the day of the raising and this turned out to be a disruption since it sometimes takes longer to drill through those 8 and 10 inch timbers than you might think--especially when you have a lot to do.  A few were drilled and pegged in place after assembly also.
e aho laula

grweldon

Awesome work Brian.  Care to share your plans?  ;)
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: grweldon on January 07, 2014, 04:15:16 PM
Care to share your plans?  ;)

Sure.  I posted my sketchup file in the TF plan depository above.
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!