iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 hr

Started by Peter Drouin, July 16, 2019, 05:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

To change the blades.

The thing works great, but to change the blades got to be a better way. :D :D ;) not. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

DanG!!  So, they are not split blades?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Peter
Can you get split blades made up ?
What size are they ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

nativewolf

Just learned something new, stay away from that edger.
Liking Walnut

moodnacreek

Being from the stone age I thought edgers had insert tooth saws.

Bruno of NH

I have a new one with split blades
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Yup, the easier way is to buy a riehl edger.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brucer

The new split blades wouldn't fit on my old style WM edger.

I thought about replacing the blades, as they were certainly losing their edge. Then I mentally went through the procedure and figured out what was involved (as illustrated here by Peter).

My solution -- sell the edger ;D ;D. I told the new owner about the age of the blades and offered him a break on the price to pay for new blades. He was OK with that so we both came out ahead :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

ellmoe

It does take about two hours to change the blades on our 10+ year old woodmizer edger . It goes quicker when my guys remember the " anti- seize ". However , we only change blades , as needed , about every 4-6 months , and it runs every day . The only maintenance ever needed , besides the blades , was replacing the handle for the width adjustment . Counting that , and the blades , we spend about 6 hours a year on maintenance , plus a little greasing . I wish all my equipment was so tolerant!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Peter Drouin

It's 2 hrs but the 14" blades cut well and a 26 horse cat turns them well, I try not to run the blade in the bark. They stay sharper longer that way. I'll send out the old ones to get sharpened, $ 24.00 for the pair. I do the job 2 times a year.
The cat has enuff power to run the hydro pump I fab in to run the lift table'

The thing works great.  A 2 man rig to a 1 man rig.  8) 8)  
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I don't find it a bad job to change my blades. Same edger. Blades are not cheap, but having another set ready to swap in would make the job better. Cheap to sharpen, too. I think it was about $30, and that included three new carbide tips.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customsawyer

I bought the same edger in Dec. last year, only electric, and it has the one piece blades. Took a while to change my blades too. I'm used to it taking about 10 min. Needless to say I made a phone call that evening and ordered split blades from another source as I'm not going to spend that kind of time just to change edger blades.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

Will you pm me where to get them??
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Resonator

If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer monkey wrench.  ;D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

customsawyer

I ordered them from Sharp tool. Ph. # 978-568-9292
They had to order in new material for them so it is still going to be a few weeks before I get them in. When I get them and a part number I'll post it here.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

PAmizerman

@Peter Drouin does the oil in your edger drain really slow? I just changed mine yesterday and it took forever to drain
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Peter Drouin

No, If you take off the filler cap.  Thanks for the blade info too customsawyer.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Needs air to drain.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

PAmizerman

I did pull the filler cap it still wasn't draining right. I ran a wire into the drain hose but I couldn't get it past the elbow. I'll have to dig a little deeper next time I change the oil.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

customsawyer

Run the edger for a bit until it's warmed up.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!