iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of wood is it?

Started by magic, March 04, 2006, 09:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magic

A friend of mine had an olive tree fall in his yard a couple days ago.  He asked me if I could cut it up for him.   He says it is about 30' tall and not sure about the diameter of the trunk.  I don't think it is too big.  I know my modded 066 with a 24" bar will handle it with no problem (probably too big for the job) but my question is, is olive wood hard or soft?  I have never cut up an olive tree before.  Just wondering what to expect.  Thanks guys.  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

victorytea

The wood, of a yellow or light greenish-brown hue, is often finely veined with a darker tint, and, being very hard and close-grained, is valued by the cabinetmaker and ornament turner.         Paul

Alta

Olivewood: (Oleo europa) Yellowish brown with dark brown streaks. Hard & heavy. Grain is straight to wavy, very fine texture. This is an expensive but very beautiful wood. Machines well and takes a fine finish.  It is a smooth, close-grained yellow wood, the color of which links it to Islaar (Mercury) and operations of Yellow Magick: that is, the pursuit of hidden knowledge, insight, inspiration, and spells of communication. Wow man....

SwampDonkey

Member 'kilndry' was looking for some olive a while back. If your client or yourself weren't going to use it, maybe someone could notify him.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=15689.0
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!