iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice/Snow Sailing Sled

Started by SwampDonkey, October 15, 2010, 07:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Ok, Ok!! I have another project, pipe dream, I'm researching. Mostly, I haven't a clue about how the sail should be constructed (well an idea maybe). I know it has to be sufficient to move the weight of the sled and passenger (me) in the wind. But, it's going to be a stab in the dark as to the size and correct shape and the proper rigging. I have to be able to steer the sled, and reduce speed as I'm not comfortable going at high speeds on hard ground. :D :D

I have a cool Michigan site on ice sailing sleds with some plans. It's a Yahoo site so you have to be signed up with a Yahoo account to access the plans and pictures.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/J14

The sled I want will be lighter and smaller.

Oh boy, what have I talked myself into now.  ::)

Anyone been involved with ice/snow sailing? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

That should keep you out of trouble for awhile  ;D

I've sailed an iceboat a couple of times. It was a real thrill ! 
Quite a bit faster and scarier than sailing a small boat on unfrozen water ( I've done a ton of dingy sailing )

Having the lines (ropes) run freely thru the blocks is important to be able to control the amount of wind in the sail. Don't skimp on the rigging for the sail or the blocks/hardware/lines.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Burlkraft

You better get started soon if yer gonna set sail before spring!  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

So, you fellas would make good crash test dummies instructors . I'll definitely keep you all in mind.  ;D

I've already got the killing ground test site picked out. It's a 150 acre field that is relatively flat. Usually no lack of wind. :) They say you can get up to 3 times the speed of the wind. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

QuoteThey say you can get up to 3 times the speed of the wind
I assume that would be going uphill with a lot of weight. :-\ ;D ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Patty

One of my brothers does quite a bit of ice sailing. He builds his own sleds as well. In the summer he takes to the dessert and scoots across the sands, sometimes reaching speeds of 60 mph across the dessert flats in Utah. I will ask him to send some pictures for me to post for you Donk.  ;)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

I've sourced the sail here.

http://www.na.northsails.com/Lofts/NortheastLofts/NewJersey/tabid/12563/Default.aspx

I think I can get it through a rep in Maine or Nova Scotia.

It's the J14 Cross Cut Dacron.

For this year, I'm just hoping to put together the boat itself and the hardware that will be boxed in. Sails ain't cheap items. A quote from 2008 is close to $800. ;D I have access to quite a few construction photos along with the plans. Wish I had broadband. :) :D

D Hagens

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 16, 2010, 04:05:53 PM
I've sourced the sail here.

Sails ain't cheap items. A quote from 2008 is close to $800. ;D I have access to quite a few construction photos along with the plans. Wish I had broadband. :) :D

Yup they aint cheap but if you shop around there's sail makers out there that will cut you a break if you have them made on their time. Mine were $3500.00 but they were made for $2800.00, just had to wait for him to cut a bunch of sails.

Patty

Hey Donk!

Here are some pics for you:

Work in progress. I need a way to tilt the front board as it turns, to catch an edge.

Modified for sand

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Patty

My brother said to go to this site for lots of pictures and information:

Yahoo Iceflyer site  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iceflyer/photos/album/2134556660/pic/list.  

He said, "Mine were prefabricated, but people are still building them.  A daunting prospect!"

The chocks are mild steel, the beams hickory, The suit is Mustang. With rose colored goggles, it feels like the tropics.

Good luck with your project Donk!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

Tell your bro that is the site (or the J14 one) I'm spending a lot of time on.

Tell'm his sleds are awesome. This project will probably be at least a couple years for me.  :)

I'm going to use ash on my beams for springiness, and comfort on rough terrain. Whee! :)

Patty

He went through several different woods over the years and found that hickory would bend the most before it would snap and break. The terrain puts loads of stress on the sled. I think you will find a tutorial at the link I sent, plus a blog describing all the different sleds he has tried.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

SwampDonkey

Yes, I have a lot of researching/reading ahead and photos to cruise through. :)

Lud

Since you are bending wood and all to make this thing...................how about designing a roll cage while you are at it!! :o :o
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

;D That ain't no fun.

Actually, I think some sled designs have been proven to run safer than others. The J14 seems to be pretty stable. Although, I do believe it's continually being improved. But,  a roll cage might be a good idea for the next mod. ;)

A lot of the bending is not from steaming, but weighted on the tip of the spring boards and laminated as I understand. You have to use a long flat surface and weight down the end on the over hang I think. I think some of the pictures that look like an upset sled was to show the ski/snow boards.

I will be making another steam bent sled this winter hopefully. Still not any time yet to dedicate to my projects as we may be brush cutting another 3 weeks or so.

Jeff

I built a website for a guy back about 1999 that built Norwegian kick sleds. I was looking for an example to show swampdonkey and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8w476L94Jw
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Tried to load it here, but it kept resetting the video download when I tried using the slider.  :-\

Dan_Shade

I wouldn't play around with steam like those guys do in that video.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

Time to revive this old thread. I have decided on the "Renegade" class iceboat. I have the plans. I will be working on the boat and plank for this round.  ;D

Here is the renegade website.

http://www.iceboat.org/renegade.html

Lud

Since you're not big on re-reading, Bill,..................I'll say it again like I said it two years ago........if you build an ice boat......add a ROLL CAGE! :D :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!