iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan

Started by xlogger, July 20, 2017, 05:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Got a tree cutter that wants to bring me a pecan log. He said its about 18-20" and I think about 8 ft long. I ask him what he wanted for the log and he's not sure. I've never cut pecan or hickory. I've heard several of you talk too bad about them. I was thinking about getting it and complaining about it later but not sure. I've got some 4° blades to cut with.
I understand pecan moves a lot while drying. Do you think it worth messing with to cutting slabs? It suppose to have a crotch at the end of the log.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

123maxbars

I quarter sawed one recently with success, appears to be drying pretty flat,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

scsmith42

Flat sawn, the slabs tend to move a bit during drying.  This is mainly a problem on wider slabs, but for a 20" slab it should not be too bad.  I would suggest milling 3/8" thicker than normal to allow room for clean up.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

Beautiful wood.  Very hard.  If you air dry it before kiln drying, you should be OK.  You can't get in hurray.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scsmith42

Powderpost beetles love it too...
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

As pecan and hickory logs get drier and drier, it becomes much much harder to saw.  Blades dull quickly.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

woodweasel

I saw quite a bit of it. Beautiful wood , as all of the above say its moves a little if rushed to dry. I've got 8 o 10 big logs , that need to be sawed. I made sure I sealed the ends shortly after they we bulldozed down. Got some 9/4 air drying. Gonna put it in the kiln soon. Will be the first time for the kiln and me :P :P

xlogger

Well that deal failed threw, but I went yesterday to look at another one and came back with 23 pecan logs from 10 to 16 ft long. One of the logs was near 40" and a few others also that are too big to cut on mill. I'll have to use my slabber. I think I'll live edge slab everything that's at least 16" wide and cut the others into lumber. After this I might not ever want to see another pecan. I called Richard yesterday and had a bad connection to order a new wheel for my sharpener for 4° Kasco blades I'll try to call him again today. I talk to a guy in Tx the other day that cuts only Pecan. He said to cut 3" thick to try to get 2" thick slabs and apply weigh. I try to post pictures but each time it said failed, not sure about what going on with that. Sometimes I don't have any trouble and next time it will not work.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

fishfighter

A guy just down the street not 500' felled over 10 pecan trees just two days ago. He was clearing a line for power lines. Asked if I wanted them. DanG things are WAY to big for my mill and told him no thanks. :D

nativewolf

Hickory prices are actually pretty strong right now.  I'd think a mess of pecan logs would be worth some $, wonder if yellowhammer sells any of that?
Liking Walnut

xlogger

Finally got Pecan under mill. My big case had a hard time with it.

For drying would I be better putting pecan under fans, in solar kiln or just air drying for awhile before I put in DH kiln?

YellowHammer

We sell pecan when we can get it, but it's rare for us.  Most are yard trees with nails, so we don't buy them. 
We do sell a decent amount of hickory, and it's a pain.  Saw them green, and it's not too bad.  Wait until they dry out, and it's blade smoking time.  4°, .055 and oil based blade lube will get it done ok.  It's a log, and logs get sawn, one way or the other.   

Pecan log value is not high because it's not commercially logged in quantity and would probably bring hickory prices. 

I don't put hickory under fans, it won't like it.  Basic air drying with lots of weight on top will work.  When I'm sticker stacking hickory, if a board is an obvious bad actor off the mill, it won't get stickered because a board that jacks up the pile will mess up its neighbors.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I sell a good bit of pecan.  I also cut 9/4 live edge slabs, and I have had very good luck with them.  I air dry at least 9 months, kiln dry them to less than 10%, then put any slabs that are not flat back on the mill before planing and skim cut the top face to get it flat, then plane the slab.  Extra work, but the slabs come out of the planer dead flat and perfect.  I sell them for $7.50 to $8.50 per board foot.   

This is 9/4 square edge stock that shows off the pretty heartwood.  The turkey call makers like it, too.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

Danny in the past I've been stickering at 24" but notice on some poplar slabs with a limb or knot was at they move down more there. So in the future I'm going to make sure I have stickers under them and hope that helps. But I was thinking about sticker every 12". What has work best for you?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

We do know that 12" spacing assures the flattest lumber possible.  As a good compromise, use 12' space for the ends of the pile and 24" after the first three stickers. 

I also see quite a few people use two stickers at the end of a pile, spaced an inch apart.  This helps stop end checks when end coating is not used, and also allows for last sticker to move or fall out without creating a disaster.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

All my pallets are standard at 16" sticker spacing. 

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on September 17, 2017, 07:10:59 PM
All my pallets are standard at 16" sticker spacing. 
Mine too.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

nativewolf

Quote from: WDH on September 17, 2017, 07:53:13 AM
I sell a good bit of pecan.  I also cut 9/4 live edge slabs, and I have had very good luck with them.  I air dry at least 9 months, kiln dry them to less than 10%, then put any slabs that are not flat back on the mill before planing and skim cut the top face to get it flat, then plane the slab.  Extra work, but the slabs come out of the planer dead flat and perfect.  I sell them for $7.50 to $8.50 per board foot.   

This is 9/4 square edge stock that shows off the pretty heartwood.  The turkey call makers like it, too.

VERY NICE!
Liking Walnut

xlogger

Sometimes in the past someone put some rocks in the tree. I found them. Would like to send them a bill for my chain. >:(

WDH

YellowHammer

Well, those rocks will take the fun right out of it.
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

Pecan and fun are not two words allowable in the same sentence  :)

Magicman

Rocks in a tree crotch will also ruin a bandsaw blade.

And it doesn't have to be large.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

If my rocks was in a tree,you would see them.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scleigh

I cut these pecan slabs about 3 months ago, some are 28"

So far they are staying flat

Thank You Sponsors!