iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer doesn't cut with grain very well

Started by flatrock58, December 27, 2017, 08:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

My brother in law got a hold of some black walnut yard trees and wanted them cut.  After he finished digging out all the metal we started cutting.  The small and crooked pieces took a while, but we finally got them cut.  He had a couple of 26" diameter pieces that were only 12-18" long, from the butt of the tree.  I told him we could make cookies, but he wanted to just turn it sideways between the clamp and backstop and cut short boards.
I soon found out that when you crosscut cutting with the grain you don't get nice little sawdust chips, but large noodle like strings that quickly clog up everything.  There were noodles packed tight all around both wheels and blade guides and blocking the sawdust port. After several boards we stopped and cleaned the mill out and turned the log back to the standard orientation. Another lesson learned.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH sawed a good many Walnut cookies on his WM.
If he got Noodles he didn't say anything about it.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

That's not crosscutting, that's cutting parallel to the grain.
Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

I've done that on a chainsaw many times, they call it noodling, that makes some good tinder for starting a fire.
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

You get in the south and talk about noodlin and it involves catfish, muddy water, swimming, telling the other guy to "hold my beer", and all too often a snapping turtle or nasty snake!!! 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

I don't have any issues like that when cutting cookies.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Do I understand that you had a short log crosswise on the mill, not standing on end?  That would certainly cause noodles, but as mentioned, that would not be called crosscutting.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

flatrock58

I guess you are right.  It would not be cross cutting.  Cutting with the grain sure does make a mess though.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

pineywoods

X2 on the mess. Been there done that, especially using a good sharp 10 deg blade.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

Yep, any type saw will cut those long strips like that in most woods when you cut lengthways. I used to sell a neighbor Norway spruce blocks to make wedges to be used in the coal mines and he said they were one of the worst about making long strips when cut lengthways. Sometimes I get  a nasty crotch that won't split with a maul or wedges and I split them with my chainsaw and I get them then too. Just the nature of wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

A vertical edger on a circle mill cuts like that as well, however the blade exits the log in it's rotation clearing the gullets, but the chip is long, unlike any other sawdust. The deeper the cut, the longer the string. Our vertical edger had a maximum depth of 3.75 inches.

terrifictimbersllc

I've "noodled" may times with a chain saw,  know it well.  Have to clear the sprocket cover and kick the noodles aside on the ground when splitting a log.  Great for hamster bedding if I needed hamster bedding.

But never thought of holding a log like that in 17 yrs on my mill I must say.  To be honest it seems easier than arranging a board and fence to hold it the normal way, at least as far as the clamping goes.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jeff

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. If the low will fit between the clamp and the fence, much easier to hold it, but looks like there is a major setback to that. :)

That got me thinking, I wonder if you took a hand full of sawdust from most bandsaw mills, and then a handful of sawdust from a mill like the E.Z. boardwalk, that enters the log on an angle, it you could perceive a difference in the dust. (actually chips). Would they be slightly elongated? 

paul case

When I switched from the EZ Boardwalk  to the WM LT40 I couldn't tell any difference at all in the sawdust.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jeff

Yea, but did ya have a handful of each and really examine It? CSI

Jeff

terrifictimbersllc

I'm waiting for that episode of Forensic Files!😀
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodmills1

The few times I have done parallel cutting I thought the noodles looked like the stuff that used to be called excelsior.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_wool

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

paul case

Probably not.

I do notice that since the blower picks up most of the dust from the mill, the only time I really care about the sawdust is when the blower stops working. :-\ :'(

That results in ss. Sawmill sadness that is.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

JB Griffin

Quote from: paul case on December 28, 2017, 06:56:55 PM

That results in ss. Sawmill sadness that is.

PC

That is a great video on youtube, search sawmill sadness. One of if not the fastest mills I've seen.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Southside

Did you notice at 4:00 when he raises his arm - you can see the IV line coming from the Mt Dew can... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

With my old lt30 the discharge was wide open and the noodles exited pretty well. But the new mill has finger sticking down in the discharge, so I don't think it'll get rid of the noodles as well.
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Thank You Sponsors!