iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much do some of you guys get for cutting and skidding?

Started by Nemologger, February 01, 2014, 07:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

Just curious, How much would cutting , skidding and bucking up be worth? Stump to landing with the logs ready for the trucks.
Clean and Sober

JDeere

On the job I am on now, I am paying $17.50/ton for hardwood pulp and $22.00/ton for softwood logs. We average about 32 tons per load or 6000 feet. Hardwood logs pay more depending on the grade.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Nemologger

What I mean...say a mill has timber bought and wants it logged. What would a logger charge to cut, skid and buck up the timber? Logger supplies his skidder , saws, all fuel, oil etc.... mill supplies the timber.
Clean and Sober

BargeMonkey

Between 150-170 a thousand is the going rate around here. A lot of guys work a deal with the mill and keep the firewood.Thats everything from the low grade to veneer, one flat rate per thousand.

saxon0364

Around here some mills pay by the 1000 BF. Some by the load.    By the load for tri axle goes from $300 on the low end to $350 on the high side.  Tree length logs trucked on semi's get up to $450 a load.   Some jobs its better to be paid by the board foot, some jobs its better to be paid by the load.     Most mills can and will sweeten it a little if the skid is long or its a side hill job or anything else that slows the logger down or runs his costs up..   Some mills wont.    The bad thing about contracting with one mill from job to job is that you have to take the bad jobs along with the good.  The good part is the steady work.     

Nothing wrong with quiet.

lynde37avery

i have friends that get 110 per thousand and grade logs something like 130 or 140 per thousand ft. + some firewood.

i get a whole slew of different pay scales. 13/hr  + firewood when im not running my skidder. or the regular mill price on logs delivered in. i supply all my own fuels etc.
Detroit WHAT?

shawn55

Here in MN we get $125 per thousand on easy flat ground. $150 in the hills and $175 when we have to pull pulp with cable skidder.

Rick Alger

My last cut and skid contract was in softwood. 140/mbf for logs and 18/ton for pulp.

David-L

I try to get $125 to $150 m/bf for saw logs and get the pulp for free and split that with the trucker. pulp gets me around $12 ton once it is trucked. I pay $5 to $10 for good cordwood on the stump.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Ed_K

Do any of you figure in extra if you have to drive an hour or more to get to the job? I'm done with long commute's,it works on my mind driving long ways  :( .
Ed K

barbender

Shawn55, where in MN are you at? To the OP, I don't know what guys are getting contract rate to put wood on the landing, especially chainsaw/cable skidder guys, because there aren't many of those guys left. CTL contract cutters I know are getting $20-$30/cord for the processing (depends on species), company takes care of the forwarding. It would be around $40/cord for processing and forwarding. Understand that our logging basically consists of mass removal of pulpwood, a lot of sales are in the 1000-5000 cord range, so it's not even really comparable to what you are talking about, Nemo logger. We are working with low value high volume wood, many of you are working with high value low volume.
Too many irons in the fire

cutter88

32 a tun for logs cut skid and slash 25 a tun for pulp cut skid and slash
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

smwwoody

Wow I would love to see those prices.  around here it is $90/ MBF for logs and $14/ton for pulp wood to cut and skid.  if you add in trucking you get around 135/MBF and 20/ton
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

duckslayingpro

I wont work for someone else around here. They want to pay $55 a thousand for cut, skid, bucked, and decked ready to load on a truck.

ehp

around here the mills want to pay you any where from $100 to $120 per thousand for sawlogs , You can live on that put you donot make much money , most loggers by the timber standing and sell to whatever mill they feel is giving the best deal

midwestlogger

Hey nemo down here in semo we are getting 125 per thousand on big easy cutting jobs and 150 per thousand on smaller timber. That is cut, drag, buck, seperate and stack logs. West of the mississppi river they scale with international and east of river they use doyle stick. That makes big difference on tie size timber.
2-JD 440's, 2-W14 Case Wheel Loaders, 518 CAT cable skidder, JD 540D cable skidder 2-390XP, 2-660, 1130 gear drive homelite

Thank You Sponsors!