iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing sawdust.

Started by Joe Hillmann, August 01, 2014, 01:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

I build "Rustic" items out the lumber I mill.  For now I use a wire brush to remove the sawdust that stick to the lumber.  It doesn't do the best job, it leaves quite a bit behind and is slow.

I was thinking of building something like a planer but with a round wire brush where the blades would go.  I am just wondering if such a thing already exists or if anyone here has a better method of removing the sawdust.

Magicman

Have you tried using a ~12" sheetrock taping knife? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Philbert

Have you tried compressed air?

I blow off boards after sanding, and it clears the dust out of the pores before finishing.  Should work on rough sawn too.

Philbert

dboyt

Wire brush could leave an interesting surface on the wood for a rustic effect.  How about a vacuum cleaner with a rug sweeper attachment?  It would catch the dust.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Wisconsintimber

I've heard of board dedusters before but never seen one in use.

Joe Hillmann

I just did a search for boar deduster (never would have stumbled across that term on my own).  It looks like they are actually a common tool in resaw mills and pallet mills.   It looks as though most of them use nylon brushes rather than wire.

red oaks lumber

if you have the right set and the right pitch blade there should be very little saw dust left behind. also your feed speed might be to slow making finer dust.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Knute

In warm weather, I just use a broom while stacking. When frozen, use a scraper with a wood handle (old baseball bat in my case).

drobertson

de-dusters  are the way to go, nylon brushes, but I have to ask, are you feeding through the log fast enough?
this will leave an abundance of dust when it's not necessary'  just asking.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I have my off-bearer just give the boards a gentle tunk at the end of the mill when he pulls them off, then on jobs where we sticker the lumber, we use a leaf blower!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

backwoods sawyer

chuck has about the easiest method and the one we used in the production mill, by the time the lumber made it to the stacker it had been banged around at every step of the way. Garden hose with a good spray nozzels works good as well.
seems like Baker made a nylon sweeper, but an unscrambler will do the same thing.
Guess the question is, How much wood do you plan to clean? and How much time do you want to spend cleaning wood?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodyone.john

I seem to be more lazy than most then. I don't do anything just sticker it then let the wind clean it up over the next weeks and months.When I retrieve from stickered stacks its pretty dust free.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Brucer

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on August 01, 2014, 01:53:59 PM
I was thinking of building something like a planer but with a round wire brush where the blades would go.  I am just wondering if such a thing already exists or if anyone here has a better method of removing the sawdust.

It's called a "wheel brush sander" and Makita makes them. The timber framer I used to saw for used them to clean up the surface of timbers that were to be used "rough sawn". They used the steel wire brush option because it would remove any surface stain, sawdust, and dirt that had got on the surface. The brush would still leave some dust sitting on the surface but it was easy to blow or brush off.

The things were pretty expensive as I recall.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!