iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing the lipstick from the pig

Started by Ruffneck, May 07, 2015, 11:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffneck

I finally removed the skim-coat on the retaining wall of my old house.
I had the engineer out to look at the wall and column before I made the purchase, but if you really want to know the extent of the ugly, you need to remove the lipstick first: https://youtu.be/Lc_ilccX5I4

After my findings I made the decision to take a big leap and bring in the team from Pace Engineering:

They have been out for one site visit so far. The biggest concern for them is the concrete column and header in the one garage:

The extent of the problem is pretty apparent after exposing it. The engineers didn't seem to be as concerned about the retaining wall as I was. They say if they could see some movement in it, then it would be concerning.

After their visit, they recommended a "suspender and belt" approach to the column issue. :D
I put a couple of strong-backs over it and tied it back to the wall with some ratchet straps.

I have a temporary shoring plan from the engineers, they are calling for a 6x12 header beam with two 6x6 posts connected by Simpson brackets. Seems a little overkill to me for supporting an 8 inch slab, but if you ask an engineer a question, they're going to give you an engineers' answer.

The reason there has been so much deterioration at these locations is the water drainage. It has been going on since the house was built. They will be designing a drainage plan too.

Old houses sure are full of surprises.  ;D

Holmes

And to think you have only just begun.. :)
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

That is quite the wall. Good luck to ya.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

PNW is an earthquake zone isn't it?

Hence things get over-engineered. Dodgy concrete walls + shaking = things (and people) getting squashed.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

zopi

looks like a good place for some gravel pit/French drains...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Looks like you were at a point that you had to either fix it or loose it.  The video makes me tired.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I thought here in WV was the only place people built on hillsides like that.

Good luck on your project.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Howdy

Great video, gives the rest of the world a view of the quality of work and the speed that folks here in Oregon work every day!

Ruffneck

An update on the wall project. They drew up the temporary shoring plan in pretty short order. The plan calls for a 6x12 header with two 6x6 posts attached with the right Simpson brackets. If I were to build shoring at work, a 6x6 header would be sufficient  :-\ I get it though, it is their name on it  :)

Went to pick up the material I had on special order at the local Home Depot yesterday morning. They had had everything but the Simpson brackets ::) Somehow they're missing, they'll order them again, could take up to seven days. So much for being able to con my brother into helping out real quick, at least I didn't have to transport the timbers in my Honda ;D

They have a number 2 stamped on them, but I think to myself, they must be joking. Not a #2 or better in my book. Pith running the length on a corner, big old knot on another. Guess I'll change my grading rules from here on out... ;D 

beenthere

Your 6x6 with no big knots and their spec for a 6x12 #2 with big knot and a pith may equal out. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ruffneck

I should have refused the whole deal. They are all stamped #2... It will be field verified. I'll take some pics and post them. I'd hate to go to the work and have the engineers reuse my work.... I should make my own timbers...
:laugh:

Ruffneck

Here are some pictures of the timbers and temporary shoring plan:

This is the 6x12 beam:

Here are some pics of the 6x6 posts:

If that's what goes for number 2, I have been over-thinking the milling of my Ponderosa Pine.
I was sure hoping to be progressing a bit faster on this project. Home Depot couldn't find the Simpson brackets and I'm still waiting for their reorder to come in. The engineers are still working on their plans. They should have something for me soon they said... :)

beenthere

No. 2 is not an "appearance" grade, but is a structural grade, and am sure you can count on it to do the job you have. Put the most knots on the upper side of the beam. The strength of this No. 2 is already taken into consideration and the consultant doing the calculations figures that No. 2 will work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brucer

Grading rules for a 12" wide, No. 2 Structural Beams allow "well spaced" knots up to 6-7/8" diameter (rule 130 c). "Well spaced" means that in any 6" length, the sum of all the knot diameters cannot exceed twice the maximum diameter; also, there cannot be more than one knot of maximum diameter in any 6" length (rule 718 v).

Grading rules for a 6 x 6 No. 2 Structural Posts allow "well spaced" knots up to 3" in diameter (rule 131 c).

There are specific rules about how you measure the knots -- for beams you draw imaginary lines on either side of the knot that are parallel to the edges, then measure the distance between the lines. Basically you're measuring the width of the fibres that are interrupted by the knot.

The rules allow quite a bit of wane (1/3 the width of any face for a #2). The other big issues with structural members are shake (which you don't have) and slope of grain (which I can't tell without seeing the timber in person).

The rules say nothing about the pith, which has always mystified me. Not that I'm complaining -- I either box the heart or saw it out completely, and that impresses my customers.

If the pictures you posted show the biggest knots, then it looks like it all meets the grade.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

greenforestyy

wait i dont see a vid anywere maybe im to slow ahh or i skipped it.. I see pictures though !

Ruffneck

Quote from: greenforestyy on May 22, 2015, 04:26:37 PM
wait i dont see a vid anywere maybe im to slow ahh or i skipped it.. I see pictures though !
:
https://youtu.be/Lc_ilccX5I4?list=PL4041w-KMR6I1L47So6vi-q3bHiMAtYnD

It's a long story with many twists and turns. This is from 9/28/2015. I will give a full report at the completion of this phase :)

beenthere

Ruffneck
You sure can stick to a tough project. Kudo's to you for the progress you have made so far.
Substantial improvement under difficult circumstances. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Congrats on your well earned progress.  I still say that you make me tired.   smiley_sweat_drop  smiley_whip
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

Magicman

Looking good.  I only know that you have long range plans and that you know what you are doing.   8)

Sixacresand

That makes my back hurt, watching that.   Glad you are able to do it. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ruffneck

October 9,2015
Water is back on, I used 25 feet of PEX.

Moving along:

Ruffneck

Ruffneck

I participated in "The Great Shakeout of '15" today...
Did you and your family?

Magicman

No shakeout here, but hopefully if you ever get a shake, you will have the lipstick removed and the "pig" ready.   ;D

Ianab

We had a "shakeout" drill here in NZ too.

As it was a pretend earthquake, I pretended to get under my desk.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ruffneck

The ground was shakin' around here, ads may appear, but there should be music 8):

https://youtu.be/1DQd9ZbxySc

Ruffneck

I am now calling it "The Man Cave".
I've been working under engineered plans from a different company than the original engineering firm on this project. The new firm developed this plan and I got the the rubber stamp from the city:

After exposing the true condition or the slab, I knew there is no way it would work. The anchors would never pass the inspection. They developed new plans in no time:

Pure luck:

Magicman

Ah Ha, laying down on the job.   :D

Roxie

Pure luck?  Egads!  This sure is an interesting thread to follow. 
Say when

Banjo picker

Hang in there and keep on keeping on.  You'll get it done.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ruffneck

I asked my engineer if I had to do a footing full length like their plans indicated or if I can stop 16 inches beyond the walls... He hadn't thought of that :)
I just received revised plans. That's less digging at least...

It was pure luck I could bust through that rock with my digging pick and my shoring was 18" back.
I'm cheesing the shoring a bit there with another 6x6 #2 fir post you can't see. It beats the alternatives. I had to move the post you can see to get it where it is

Got our first rain of the season yesterday. Threw money at more tarps... I have my waterfall feature I've wanted for this house in my front yard now...  I'm done.

When a rock is in your way, bust through it... 

:)
Quote from: Magicman on October 25, 2015, 07:39:23 AM
Ah Ha, laying down on the job.   :D

Get caught laying around the job one time and you'll be remembered as a slacker forever :D
Quote from: Banjo picker on October 25, 2015, 04:12:22 PM

Hang in there and keep on keeping on.  You'll get it done.  Banjo
Thanks Banjo! I'll do that like a madman.

Quote from: Roxie on October 25, 2015, 09:07:02 AM

Pure luck?  Egads!  This sure is an interesting thread to follow. 

My first thought was heavy equipment with rock breakers  :o Busted that critical rock out old school.

Ruffneck

These are the revised plans:

I completed the two critical footings today old school style.
These are the rocks and the tools used to do it:

I'll be getting ready for the sewer inspection tomorrow.

thecfarm

That one bar looks bent. You are Ruff on tools.  ;D That looks like ALOT of work the way you have to do it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ruffneck

When they gave me the new plans to put in footing, the worst case running through my mind was a very complex shoring operation with a big excavator with a rock buster. That would have put me in the poorhouse. I was hellbent to get this done. I couldn't be any closer to my shoring.
I'll take luck over being good any day ;D
https://youtu.be/Su1UWyVcYkY

Banjo picker

You sure are a hard worker.  I enjoy your videos as well and good selection of music to go with them .   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ruffneck

I believe I have removed the last of the cancer from the concrete. This job has turned out to be as involved as it could possibly be. The Engineers are working on the last revision to the plans so I can get approval from the Building Department. Nickle and diming me to the end :)

I need to continue my search for a walk behind concrete cutting saw that will cut an 8 inch slab, or a ring saw. They aren't easy to find. At least I can move forward with the footing and wall pour now. I have to finish that before my retaining wall guy continues. https://youtu.be/n2BYdm3NoT0

My retaining wall guy is working with the gas company on the repairs needed for the gas line he took out. The gas company ran their line through the concrete of the old wall. He's not happy about it, and I don't blame him, but none of that is on me. I think he my try to get me to pay, we'll see. :D

Ruffneck

I am tired of working with public works and the building department. It is obvious that they only care about the money. They sure aren't there to help me in anyway...
https://youtu.be/nhsjv0D43hs it has been a dirty job. Concrete is going to be poured in the cold, that means extra work for me  :D

beenthere

Your tolerance and perseverance is over and above... commend you for sticking to this. Someday you will be very proud of all the hard work, but may never take on another project like it again.
Big accomplishment and thanks for taking the time to make and share the video's.
south central Wisconsin

Ruffneck

If I were asked if I'd be working on this project in December I would have said no way and had a good laugh :D
Then the change of plans... Gotta roll with the punches. Concrete soon.
I need to hire a third party inspector for placement of rebar into the old concrete, I'll be using Simpson Set XP. The inspector will also observe the placement of the concrete anchors.
The first trip will be $300 and each trip after that is $280. There will be a minimum of two visits. Hope I can keep it at that.
I just keep reminding myself about the money I'm saving doing this myself. I would have broke the bank by now if I hired this out.

Just got word that my siding is ready. Jim said there is 2,300 lineal feet. It's a mix of pine and cedar. Can't wait to see how it turned out.

Magicman

You keep on ticking and it will happen.   smiley_thumbsup

Ruffneck

Thanks Magician, will do. I think I turned the corner today. The Inspector approved the footings.

mesquite buckeye

Cool.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

Now the fixin' begins. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ruffneck

January is the best time of year to pour concrete, said no man ever  :D

sprucebunny

I bet you are happier to be pouring it than drilling and jackhammering it  :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ruffneck

Serving hard time on Lockup: OC

12 epoxy dowels placed with the inpector watching every step. Murphy was there too  ::)

My neighbor dropped of a care package for me:

Next, learn about snap ties, forms and concrete placement for a nine foot tall wall.  :P

Ruffneck

mad murdock

that really is a man "cave", literally.  I bet it will be nice and cool in the summer.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ruffneck

Finally!

Wanted to go to the woods and get some saw time in, forecast was for 40 mph gusts. I figured out a way to do my time:

https://youtu.be/6fHm6oxAIDc

Quote from: mad murdock on February 02, 2016, 01:29:05 PM
that really is a man "cave", literally.  I bet it will be nice and cool in the summer.

It sure is mad murdock, that was a big selling point for me. The woodlot lacks any serious northern slope. The cave I'm working on is on the north side. I'll get my root cellar one way or another..

beenthere

You sure made quick time on that concrete removal.. just a few minutes and it was all done.. smiley_thumbsup    ;D
south central Wisconsin

sprucebunny

I'll bet you can't wait to be done with cement for a while !!

Ruffneck

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 19, 2016, 06:28:28 AM
I'll bet you can't wait to be done with cement for a while !!
You're absolutely right Sprucebunny!

Quote from: beenthere on February 18, 2016, 11:26:06 PM
You sure made quick time on that concrete removal.. just a few minutes and it was all done.. smiley_thumbsup    ;D

I'm getting to much practice with concrete cutting Beenthere!  :D

Concrete cutting on this project is now complete:
https://youtu.be/MFkpY-BdpZM

mesquite buckeye

At that speed you will be all done in no time. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Ruffneck

Seismic upgrade complete. 8)

"Good to hear things are moving along. You can remove the shoring to install your wood framed wall if all of the concrete work is completed. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Anthony Boudon
Structural Designer"

Miller Consulting Engineers, Inc.

sprucebunny

Looks great ! I'll bet you're glad that's done  8) 8)

So... umm... what's next ???

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I hope the hard part is behind you now.

Magicman

Take a deep breath, hold it, and let it out slowly.  Now breath easily.   :)

Maybe now your videos will not tire me out.   smiley_sweat_drop   smiley_thumbsup

Ruffneck

A quick update on the mess going on. The one part I hired out is turning out to be the biggest pain on this job.

I was ready for my contractor to come in and install the retaining wall in April... Many excuses and lies later the wall is still not complete. The Director of Public Works and the head building dude is all up in my grill now.

My time has been spent with attorneys, renewing right of way permits and waiting...

I have sent a certified letter to give my contractor my intent to file a complaint with the contractors' board. This will give him 30 days to remedy the situation...

The contractor stopped by a couple of weeks age to put a gravel footing in. He was going to start stacking blocks without an inspection, so I ordered the inspection. They gave an OK to stack, but I questioned the inspector about the compaction that seems to be lacking. We'll see what they say on the next inspection about that... My contract specifically states compacted 3/4 inch minus, with at least one inch of 1/4 minus screeded on top of that... There is no 1/4 minus...
Are contract also states he will take care of all required permits. I've had to renew the ROW permit twice since I've been ready for him...

He was going to pour concrete last week, without an inspection, I ordered one. It was denied. They would have had him take it all down if he had poured without it...

My attorney advises me to just let him finish and hash it out in the end... Contractor says he'll get the first pour of concrete in next week. I'm sure something will come up ::)

On a bright side, I have logs to mill ;D

Magicman

Oh my.  The contract as I see it is between you and the contractor.  If he fails to abide by/with the permits/inspections you are the one in a pickle.  All that he has to do is walk.  Surely his license has some stipulations about permits, etc. but you are still the one in a mess.  You have worked too hard and long to have a botched job now.

Savannahdan

Are you "pounding" the parapet off?  If so, are you replacing it?  The last "pound" in the video seems to show the chunks being very loose.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Ruffneck

Anything but easy:

https://youtu.be/EQKztvZdtYs?list=PL4041w-KMR6LKrDzHo6Pn8O5Lkhflhw_

Quote from: Savannahdan on October 30, 2016, 07:59:22 AM
Are you "pounding" the parapet off?  If so, are you replacing it?  The last "pound" in the video seems to show the chunks being very loose.

I was just starting the nightmare, chunks were very loose :D

Ruffneck

Today is the day he'll be finished he says. He'll take the remainder of the balance for $4,100 at the end of the day today.
I hired this portion of the project out for two reasons, I didn't want the liability involved with demolition next to my neighbor's wall and wanted a license and bonded contractor because of the risk involved with the retaining wall missing as I made the repairs to the garage.

The contractor started with all the confidence he wouldn't damage the wall: 

At the end of that day this is what it looked like:

He told me that day he would repair that portion of their wall.

I discussed the issue with my brand new neighbors and got them to agree that replacing that portion of their wall with a completely new coat would look nicer and blend in good. My contractor sent them an estimate of $850 to do that and they were agreeable to it.

My contractor told me in our last communication that he doesn't have time to do that job and they're going to have to find another mason.

Oh, and this is what the wall looks like where our walls meet:

Unless he is able to perform some sort of  miracle by the end of today we are going to have a problem with this.

Thanks for listening, it's good for me to write this stuff out before confronting the contractor.  :)

Ruffneck

It took eight months of waiting for this retaining wall and the inspector passed the final today. I can finally move forward with this project. So many lessons learned, especially about working with contractors and contracts.

I fulfilled my part of our contractual agreement today by making payment for the remainder due within one day of project completion. My inspection doesn't count. I need to file a complaint with the CCB now because he is in a breech of contact, in my opinion.

Anyway, it is a huge milestone, I do think the wall will hold. So,  8)

Ruffneck

Hello Friends,

It has be quit some time since I've checked in on this particular project. Lots of irons going in the fire.

Sent my complaint off to the CCB today. Fourteen days before the deadline to file.
Just like any term paper, wait until the very last minute.

Win, lose or draw?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ruffneck

I just couldn't let him skate by...

Mediation was last week. The contractor showed up and we shook hands. I stated "Thanks for showing up, this is the process available to me and what my legal counsel advised me to do. Our communication was starting to get a little heated and you have the list of my concerns." He appeared to take it in a understanding way.

The mediator showed and I read down my list:

My closing statement was "I feel like I paid a Street of Dreams price and received a slum wall."

That's when the negotiation started. I started at half the cost ($6,000) and he countered with $1,500 and we settled at $2,500 to be paid over the next few months.
Both of us walking away a little bit unsatisfied.

There were many lessons learned on both sides. He owned up to some mistakes that were made and even said he was "sorry I am unhappy with the job."
That made me think there could be hope for him in the future.

At the end of the day, I have an engineered retaining wall with new gas, water and sewer lines installed. Everything else should be downhill from here. :D 

sandhills

Thanks for the update Ruffneck, I have no idea what made me think of this thread earlier today but was going to bump it to see how things were going  :new_year:

Ruffneck

Magicman

Your project has always been fun (for me) to watch.  Your "chick" may need some exercise to help her stiff back.  ;D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

lxskllr

That was interesting watching you break rocks. I never really thought about how it was done, but I've seen the holes left from historic quarrying, and pondered over them a bit before moving on.

Banjo picker

I have enjoyed your thread.  Sorry you had to go through so much trouble with the contractor to achieve the results you wanted.  It looks like you have prevailed in the end.  Banjo  

Ruffneck

What a road it has been, feel good about the part I had in saving this old house. Sorry for the long delay in updating you all. It has been a heck of a year.

The Completed Oregon City Duplex - YouTube

On to the next one, my forever home "The Love Shack"  ;D

Magicman

Keep us updated but I will admit that I napped since your last post.  smiley_sleeping

Thank You Sponsors!