iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Went to Lumber Drying School in Alabama

Started by WDH, September 14, 2013, 08:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I take it that the M stands for Milton  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Hey Yellowhammer, How many BF do you have on hand at any given time?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

YellowHammer

Quote from: pineywoods on May 13, 2015, 10:31:22 AM
I like your barn  :)
Thanks, I bet I spend more time in the barn than our house.

Quote from: WDH on May 13, 2015, 08:14:30 PM
I take it that the M stand for Milton  ;D.
Yes, its not very imaginative of us, it but was pretty easy to make.   ;D

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 13, 2015, 10:21:18 PM
Hey Yellowhammer, How many BF do you have on hand at any given time?

We try to produce a continuous amount of wood, but keep our static inventory very low, trying to closely match it to anticipated sales figures.  So a couple thousand Bdft of some species, maybe as high as six MBF of others.  We keep very close tabs on inventory because it ties up money and takes up space.  It is valueless as lumber only earns money when it gets sold.  We use historical monthly and seasonal sales figures to predict and anticipate how much we will need, and since processing from log to finished product takes awhile, it's importatnt not to have a glut of inventory, or run out of product, either.   We can't sell something we don't have.  So we look at trends, and try to saw and buy accordingly.

For example, in the spring, cedar sells like crazy, everybody wants it because it's an outdoor wood and is used for everything from patio chairs to flower beds.  So about December, we start ramping up on cedar, get lots of it in the pipeline, in anticipation of the surge.  About mid summer, cedar sales drop off drastically and hopefully we have anticipated things correctly and have about sold out of inventory, maybe only having a couple MBF in reserve.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

gww

What does mbf stand for, million board foot?
Thanks
gww

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

Quote from: gww on May 13, 2015, 11:36:39 PM
What does mbf stand for, million board foot?
Thanks
gww
Quote from: WDH on May 13, 2015, 08:14:30 PM
I take it that the M stand for Milton  ;D.

Milton board feet   ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

MBF = 1000 BF
MMBF = 1 million BF
The reason for M = 1000 is because it is a Roman numeral.

The confusion comes because the abbreviation for kilo is K or k and also means 1000.   So, with money $30K means $30,000, and $30M means $30 million.

Adding to the confusion is that BF (BD FT or bf) is sometimes FBM, or foot board measure.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

A milton board foot is a board foot that is flat, straight, planed, and dried just right  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gww

Yes, it is hard to use this sites tool box if you don't know what the abreviations are.
Thanks all for answering my question.
gww

SwampDonkey

I've used FBM before on here as it's how we do it up north here. I thought that the sight had turned inside out because of 3 letters rearranged. ;) Well it wasn't that bad, but required an explanation and probably an eye roll, a raised brow, or maybe even a nose curl was required to get past it.  :D ;)

Don't get me started on meter and Meter. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on May 14, 2015, 07:24:19 AM
A milton board foot is a board foot that is flat, straight, planed, and dried just right  ;D.

I wish they all turned out that way.   :D
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

YellowHammer

We had a wonderful visit yesterday with a fellow Forum member and his wife, Jeanne.  @Glenn1 made a very long drive to visit, talk lumber, sawing and drying, and we showed him all the steps in our operation, from judging and buying logs to putting finished wood in the sales racks, and everything in between.  They are great people and have a very diverse experience base that will surely make them successful in drying and selling lumber.  It's just another example of how this Forum will bring folks together so they can learn from each other, and I picked up some good tips from them, too.  So everybody wins. 
We got the mill fired up, broke down a nice cherry log from start to finish, discussed sawing techniques, pith and all sorts of fun stuff, and then we spent a good deal of time talking about kilns, and he was able to see the Yellowhammer Railway.  Since he has a Nyle kiln also, we had a lot common ground and information to exchange.  He also got to hear a lot of my mistakes and lessons learned so hopefully we will be able to avoid many of them.
Anyway, I heard from them that they made it back home safe and we are happy their trip was a good one.
Here's both of us hamming it up in front of the barn.  He and his wife are good people and we are really glad they made the trip.

YellowHammerisms:

Glenn1

Thank you Robert for your very kind words.  We drove 1000 miles in 3 days and it was a very worthwhile trip.  My wife Jeanne is a very good sport and she is up for any type of road trip.  Yellow Hammer spent much of a day covering everything that I could have asked for and much much more.  His wife Martha got home at noon and made a wonderful lunch for Jeanne and myself.  I was really impressed with Martha's ability to be the offbearer.  It sure looked like hard work to me, but did not seem to phase her.  I was very impressed.

We were both extremely impressed with the Yellow Hammer Railroad.  I only wished that I was there when they loaded it with beautiful cherry. 

Thanks again Robert for a fantastic education that you have shared with me.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

Cazzhrdwd

I tell you we have the best jobs anyone could have!!!
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

greglwood

We need pics of the Yellow Hammer Railroad.  8)

woodweasel

I am just about to dry my first load in my new kiln, using the KD150.  My head is spinning. I wired the controller last week. Will be connecting the power at the end of the month. I already have a stack of erc air drying in the kiln. My set up is very similar to yours. I will steal your ideal with the Styrofoam. Im sure I will have Questions.  Thanks D

YellowHammer

Congratulations on the kiln.  ERC will be a great first load. 
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!