iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: thecfarm on January 22, 2019, 02:17:27 PM
@Skeans1 ,don't see much of that type of logging around here. Grapple on that "thing" that rides on that cable?  How can operator see what it's doing,camera??
That's what's called a grapple carriage with a camera on it, the main reason most of the guys have gone to that style of carriage is to get guys off the ground.

Skeans1

Quote from: nativewolf on January 22, 2019, 08:39:08 AM
@Skeans1 it sure is impressive.  How the heck do they manage to get that cable anchored over there?  Fly it in a helicopter or use a skidder or excavator?
Helicopter or with hay wire just like a main skyline.

mike_belben

Guys are still cheap in appalachia. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

It's not the labor that kills it's the insurance, if you take the same sized yarder or tower with the big carriage Grapple carriage would out produce some choker setters. With a standard carriage or butt rigging you need two guys in the brush most of the time three, one guy chasing on the landing, then a guy running yarder how much labor is that?

mike_belben

Where i live?

$30/hr cash for all 3. 
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on January 22, 2019, 04:58:24 PM
Where i live?

$30/hr cash for all 3.
guys with that sized operation re doing it by books , so osha regs met, workmans comp is 100% of salary, etc.  3 guys gets to over $100/hr fast.  
Liking Walnut

Ianab

Not sure if it's the same machine as Skeans Posted, but this is a local manufacturer of that sort of gear, with some specs. The remote unit has a little 7.5 hp diesel for hydraulic power, and electrical for the cameras, lights and radio link. Cameras appear to be standard wireless security cameras that transmit back to the operator via wifi.

Hawkeye - EMS

And a BIG safety advantage of not having boots on the ground setting chokers as logs are being yarded around them. So if a log hangs up and flicks around, or drops from a grapple, it's only a nuisance, not clobbering someone working nearby. 

Latest work is a remote operated feller buncher that they can send down those hills on a cable, and operate from a nice remote cab up on the hill. If something goes wrong on the business end up the rope, no one gets hurt. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

Quote from: nativewolf on January 22, 2019, 05:05:52 PM
Where i live?

$30/hr cash for all 3.
guys with that sized operation re doing it by books , so osha regs met, workmans comp is 100% of salary, etc.  3 guys gets to over $100/hr fast.  
I know.  But there has nothing to do with here, and my initial comment was guys here are cheap. And im stickin to it.  
No license no insurance no problem!
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Mike pretty soon you are going to be a business magnate there.  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on January 22, 2019, 07:35:50 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on January 22, 2019, 05:05:52 PM
Where i live?

$30/hr cash for all 3.
guys with that sized operation re doing it by books , so osha regs met, workmans comp is 100% of salary, etc.  3 guys gets to over $100/hr fast.  
I know.  But there has nothing to do with here, and my initial comment was guys here are cheap. And im stickin to it.  
No license no insurance no problem!
That's great till you get a visit from the state at a job or you're doing company work, most of the guys doing this stuff are doing are working for one or the other.

Riwaka

Quote from: nativewolf on January 22, 2019, 08:39:08 AM
@Skeans1 it sure is impressive.  How the heck do they manage to get that cable anchored over there?  Fly it in a helicopter or use a skidder or excavator?
Looked like the Valmet? was the mobile tailhold
Use an industrial drone (dji matrice 600 and others) to tow out a thin dyneema rope then haul out the haywire, then cable. 
Prototype Winch and Drone for Yarder Setup April 17, 2016 - YouTube

nativewolf

That was great @Riwaka .  Drone service, Amazon has nothing on that logging crew.
Liking Walnut

quilbilly

Quote from: Skeans1 on January 21, 2019, 11:13:16 PM
This is sure impressive how far they are hanging out.
https://youtu.be/gGLnFeVsroE

We were on a job that was hanging out just a bit further and steeper. Had to be a mile+ and steep ground. They logged with a little tiny madill 071. Wish I had some video of the old stuff our local guys did with the big skagits.
a man is strongest on his knees

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

olcowhand

Quote from: nativewolf on January 22, 2019, 07:46:57 PM
From what I've read about Mike, he'd like that. I don't know if there's a special distinction between a "Business Magnate" and a regular one- but if the Business kind attracts Iron and Steel like a regular one, Mike would be very successful with all that extra material to work with. I heard that Magnates stick to Iron and Steel.....
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

nativewolf

Quote from: olcowhand on January 23, 2019, 05:33:19 PM
Quote from: nativewolf on January 22, 2019, 07:46:57 PM
From what I've read about Mike, he'd like that. I don't know if there's a special distinction between a "Business Magnate" and a regular one- but if the Business kind attracts Iron and Steel like a regular one, Mike would be very successful with all that extra material to work with. I heard that Magnates stick to Iron and Steel.....
:D
Liking Walnut

Resonator

For more info on mountain logging, check Youtube: "West Coast Logging Alex Esgate". He has good videos showing how skyline logging works, and the equipment they use.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Skeans1

Quote from: quilbilly on January 23, 2019, 10:14:18 AM
Quote from: Skeans1 on January 21, 2019, 11:13:16 PM
This is sure impressive how far they are hanging out.
https://youtu.be/gGLnFeVsroE

We were on a job that was hanging out just a bit further and steeper. Had to be a mile+ and steep ground. They logged with a little tiny madill 071. Wish I had some video of the old stuff our local guys did with the big skagits.
A buddy's dad use to run a big old skagit he's told us and showed us the pictures of flying out the older D8's a mile they were impressive machines for their day. Or seeing pictures from the mountain doing the salvage of the old growth having to use the line shovels and the yarders to load the timber.

dustyjay

I'll never keep up with you guys but I enjoy harvesting with this set up.

Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

doc henderson

I bet they start up easy, maybe put out a little methane gas.  run on hay and grass.  A little attitude now and then.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

dustyjay

Quote from: doc henderson on January 27, 2019, 07:49:56 PM
I bet they start up easy, maybe put out a little methane gas.  run on hay and grass.  A little attitude now and then.
The mare was sure giving attitude today. We harvest our own hay in the summer. SLow, but efficient.
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

thecfarm

The best part is,if you need to go forward a foot you don't have to get back on and wonder if that was enough.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upnut

dustyjay- I'm reminded of an old cartoon comparing horse farming with monstrous agribusiness..."That poor guy has to quit when the sun goes down!"... The money quote...KJV Ecclesiastes 4:6 "Better is an handful with quietness, than both the hands full with travail and vexation of spirit."

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

JLeBouton

Hey FabTek / Cat guys, check this out.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!