iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outdoor Wood Furnaces

Started by Corley5, November 02, 2002, 03:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

Hi Wiam

I forgot about dissimilar metals. I used brass fittings between iron and copper and that works pretty well. I am not familiar with the di-thermal couplers but that sounds even better. Galvanized fittings can cause problems if in contact with copper, and in fact even iron in direct contact with copper causes corrosion. You don't want to have metals in contact with each other that are too far apart in a galvanic series (voltage wise) otherwise galvanic corrosion will be a problem. DanG cooling/heating systems that use water and inhibitors (an electrolyte) will conduct electricity and cause all kinds of problems you wouldn't think of.

Mark

Minnesota_boy

My outdoor stove came from Central Boiler, but I wasn't told anything about using specially treated water when I bought it.  I really can't complain too much, as I have gotten quite a few years out of my investment.  Having my own welder to patch the leaks has helped a great deal too.  I'd question whether the initial outlay for special treatments for the water and the extra care would pay back over time.  Maybe the cost is low enough to justify it, I just dunno. ???
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

wiam

I think the  bottle of treatment was about $15 when I bought the unit.  I tested the other day and I need to put in another.
William

OneWithWood

$15 sounds about right.  The only time we had to add any additional was when we broke a line and drained the unit.  That was after four years of use.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!