iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husqvarna starters

Started by arojay, February 06, 2008, 12:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arojay

40 below this morning so I'm mucking about the house and shop.  I have an ongoing peeve with the recoils on the 365,372 and 385.  When the outdoor temperature is cool, say -10 C, about 15 F, the spring loaded dogs on the flywheel that engage  the recoil will stick so that the recoil doesn't disengage.  What happens then is that the cord won't retract so you can't pull another cycle to turn over.  If the saw is warmed up by a fire or some other source the dogs will spring back and you can start up ok.  This is a real nuisance because of course as the saw runs the flywheel fan is cooling even with the winter kit in place or duct tape over the intake.  I've been putting up with this since I went to Huskies in '95.  I should say that my 394 and 570 have different recoil arrangements that don't have the problem.  Each morning I blow out the saw with compressed air and clean up the dogs.  I've tried all kind of lubes and no lube, cleaning with wire brushes, brake cleaner etc..  The best thing I have found is squirting a little WD-40 on the dogs but that only lasts for a couple of starts.  Anyone else have trouble with this?  Got any solutions?  By the way 40 below and calm looks fine compared to the tornado tragedy on the news.  My sympathy to all those on the bad side of that weather. 
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Kevin

Do you need a stronger pawl spring?

arojay

The sticking happens with brand new saws, within a few hours of use.  I have thought that a stronger spring may help, if a guy could find the right thing.  When the stud and pawl are really clean and dry there is little or no trouble.  This is just one of things that is a nuisance, that would be nice to avoid, that I think of trying to solve when it's 40 below.  I've tried some different lubes, like a spot of low temp lubriplate, graphite etc., but the same thing happens within a short time.  Like I said, having a small fire in an out of the way spot of the felling area seems to be the best solution so far, other than never shutting the saw down.  I just now thought of trying a small teflon washer in between pawl and stud.  I'll get back.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Kevin

One of those instant heat packs in a baggie and secured with double face tape might work and last most of the day.

letsgetitracing

My 365's won't grab the dawgs so it just goes in and out with no action.  I keep them in the house and keep them by the heater in the pick-up until i fire them up and then they seem to be ok. it is alot easier on the cylinder and piston when it's at least 50 and not 10 degrees.
Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

Thank You Sponsors!