iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut

Started by GeorgeK, January 15, 2013, 12:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeorgeK

I have someone who wants me to saw walnut all day long. Any health issues to worry about and precautions to take?
Using Woodmizer LT 40 and twin blade edger. Thanks!( I know horses do not like it so wondered about humans)
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey George,

Quick answer, yes and yes.  ;)  Some folks are highly reactive to black walnut.  Also note that if there is any children or people with known nut allergies, they must be extra careful.  Respiratory onset anaphylaxis has occurred when milling Walnut and some rather severe dermal psoriasis can take place as well, from both immediate and prolong exposure to the dust

Proper respirators and protective clothing is the primary precaution, depending on your individual sensitivities.  Some of use don't even get poison ivy, so you have to find out what your sensitivity to it is going to be.

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Ianab

The problem for horses is that Walnut can cause Laminitis, which affects the bond between the bone and the hoof. Obviously this is a bad thing in a horse, if you expect it to be able to walk....

Luckily we don't have hooves, so you wont get Laminitis. But like Jay C says, some people can have an allergic reaction to the same chemicals that affect the horses. In that case, respirator mask and overalls to keep the sawdust off you.

But most people can roll around in the sawdust and not suffer an effects.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Gary_C

Quote from: Ianab on January 15, 2013, 01:03:30 AM
But most people can roll around in the sawdust and not suffer an effects.

I'm not so sure about that. I would say if you have that much direct contact, most people will have some type of reaction like dermatitus, runny nose, and possibly asthma.

And if you have constant exposure to the sawdust, your chances of having a reaction will be quite high. Perhaps almost certain even with protective gear. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

ohsoloco

My dog is sensitive to walnut sawdust.  The first time I sawed it with her around she was playing in the fresh sawdust from the sawmill (one of her favorite things to do).  I think she even took a lick for some reason.  A little later she was acting quite ill, and walked very tenderly for a few days.

The dust from the mill doesn't seem to bother me, but working with it in the shop I tend to get sores inside my nose  :(

Magicman

Yes, take precaution to prevent breathing the sawdust.  Personally, I wear a dust mask when sawing everything.  It is just part of my safety gear.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SLawyer Dave

A good friend of my father's had to quit cabinet making because of scar tissue that developed in his lungs.  The doctors pretty much said that enough exposure to almost any airborne particles can and will cause lung damage, (with the smaller the particle the more damage is done).  I never wear a mask when I am cutting with my chainsaws, (with a sharp chain you should not have powder), but when sanding or otherwise exposed to any kind of sustained airborne particles/dust, I wear one, and certainly would recommend others to do so.

GeorgeK

Thanks everyone. We will take soem precautions starting a job cutting Walnut in the morning.
George Kalbfleisch
Woodmizer LT40, twin blade edger, Bobcat A300, Kubota L48 and yes several logrites!

Slab Slicer

Quote from: Magicman on January 15, 2013, 08:29:50 AM
Yes, take precaution to prevent breathing the sawdust.  Personally, I wear a dust mask when sawing everything.  It is just part of my safety gear.

Ditto here MM. Dust from a dead oak going through a chipper put me in the hospital a few years back. My epiglotis (the flap that seals your lungs when you swallow) became severely inflammed, and when I swallowed, it would not seal, and in turn, would go into my lungs, as well as my stomach. IV steroids, and antibiotics for a couple of days, and I was better. The docs didn't really know why it happened though. I've had issues since then, so a dust mask is part of my safety gear as well.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

GeorgeK

A semi load of Walnut trees arrived today we shall see how long it takes to cut them. They have some odd requirements.
George Kalbfleisch

learner

Quote from: GeorgeK on January 23, 2013, 06:46:24 PM
A semi load of Walnut trees arrived today we shall see how long it takes to cut them. They have some odd requirements.
May I ask what you mean by Odd requirements George?  You have me curious!  ;D
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

Thank You Sponsors!