iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New year tradition ?

Started by bama20a, December 28, 2012, 05:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

Was talking around here,About the New Year tradition.About eating Black eye peas& hog jowl,& collards on year day, Something about good heath & money :D
Does anyone know?  :new_year:,Mark,,,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

clww

Sure thing! We've done it in our family since before I was on the scene. :new_year:
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

My favorite New Year's tradition is to gather at the home of one of the 6-7 friends / couples that see each other often during the year.  When you arrive with your dinner dish to add to the supper, it's about 7 pm.  However, by tradition, the clocks are set forward 2 hours so that they read 9 PM.  You have a cocktail hour, eat dinner, and enjoy the company until midnight (really 10PM).  Everybody does the usual stuff at midnight, and most couples are gone within the hour.  We get home early and are in bed with our wives / significant others by midnight, which is the very best place to celebrate New Year's Eve, IMO.  Most people think it's crazy, but it's fun, it's easy, you are not out driving after midnight, you're probably gonna get lucky, and you get a decent night's sleep to boot.  What's not to like? :D :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

chain

Always...

black eye peas
cheese grits casserole
fried smoked hog jowl
slaw
griddle cornmeal cakes
spun honey

football games

:new_year:

red oaks lumber

i like the way you think doctorb :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: chain on December 28, 2012, 06:08:05 PM
Always...

black eye peas
cheese grits casserole
fried smoked hog jowl
slaw
griddle cornmeal cakes
spun honey

football games

:new_year:

We are starting a new tradition this year......my family and friends are going to CHAIN's house.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Autocar

Doctorb has the right idea, thumbs up  :new_year:
Bill

samandothers

x 3 on Doctorb!   I like it.

My mother always prepared hog jowl, black eyed peas, and greens.  My wife always mentions it and we think about it and usually have the jowl or some pork and greens.  She does NOT like black eyed peas so that is out.

drobertson

Our tradition, since married with kids have been the usual black eyed peas, greens and pork. However, since the kids are about gone and as far as the big dinner goes they are gone.(most of the time)  Doc has the answer! an outstanding tradition we will try to employ,  I kinda like the idea of just me and Christy at new years! :new_year:
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mrcaptainbob

The black eye peas are for good luck. Wife also throws in beets, hominy and corn bread. YUMMY STUFF! No football here, though.

doctorb

Obviously, the only way to improve my New Year's tradition is to take these black eyed peas, hog jowls, greens, pork concoctions to the party!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Norm

That's a great idea Bobby, thanks for the idea!

bama20a

went yesterday, & cut some collards out of the field. Last night got some Blackeye peas & Hog jowl from the store.
  Got a nice iron skillet out to make Corn Bread,
Let the COOKING begin.  digin_2  food3
HAPPY NEW YEAR, Everyone & God be with each & everyone of you,Mark,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Texas Ranger

In my miss spent youth it was trying to sober up day, that is long behind me.  Now a day of reflection and family, if they call.  No special food, wife is a yankee and blackeye peas, fat back and greens, is NOT on the menu.  Have a good friend that makes blackeye peas so good makes ya wanna smack your momma, looking forward to a visit.  Peas, a touch of pork and corn bread, and I have myself a day.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

Lindy doesn't eat black eyes either, or at least not like most of us. She does however make a concoction called Texas Caviar consisting of canned jalapeno blackeyes, onion, bell pepper, avocato, cilantro, and italian dressing. Eat it with Frito scoops. Sounds weird but it's really good stuff. I may make a pot anyway and I have some poke salad frozen from last spring.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Roger2561

Well my SIL felt we as a family need to do something different this year.  Mind you, most of my siblings and I are in our fifties or darned near it.  She wants to start a new tradition by holding a sledding party! (Me thinks she fell on her head sometime ago and didn't tell anyone) I haven't been sledding since I was in my early teens!  I don't know if my back would be able to hold up due to degenerative disc disease!  If you don't see me on this forum for a bit, it's either I'll be layed up in a hospital somewhere trying to get my back, back together or my back has compacted leaving me 3 feet tall.  Wish me luck!  Roger   
Roger

beenthere

QuoteWish me luck! 
I only wish you good sense before you do something you regret.  :snowball: ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Den Socling

Sledding? When I was a kid, my dad decided to buy a toboggan. "You can't get hurt. You're sitting on the ground." Well he went with my mother and another couple and pulled it up a hillside. His friend that he worked with was sitting on the back end. They came down the hill and flew over the hump made by a fence row that was now open. His friend was bucked high into the air and came down on his back. Lost a week of work. That was the last time they used the toboggan. So watch out for your new family tradition, Roger.

Roger2561

Quote from: beenthere on January 01, 2013, 11:07:21 AM
QuoteWish me luck! 
I only wish you good sense before you do something you regret.  :snowball: ;D

beenthere - The sledding field is at the local High School which sets on side of a hill.  At the bottom of the hill is the soccer/football field.  Thankfully no obstacles in the way.  Before going down the hill I'll see what the conditions are first.  If it's too fast or rough, no way heck in am I going down.  Oh, Happy New Year! 
Roger

Roger2561

Well, other than having my older brother put his feet on my shoulders and pull upward on my head so I could see where I was driving, I have no incidents to report :)  Honestly, I did not attempt the sledding down that steep hill.  Some kids arrived before we did and they built a bunch of jumps.  A couple of my brothers jumped them as did a bunch of kids but I sat back and watched the mayhem from the top of the hill.  There was no way I was going to injury myself, even when my 8 year nephew called me chicken.  I prefer to call it caution.  Have a good week everyone.  Roger
Roger

BBTom

Being of Switzer-Dutsch decent makes my New Year's Dinner just a little different.  It is pork ribs and kraut for me on the first.  Hope you all enjoyed your jowls, I certainly did enjoy my ribs. Happy, Healthy and Wealthy New Year is wished for each and every one of you.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

gspren

My area of PA is also a pork and saurkraut tradition spot. if you eat saurkraut on Jan 1st you'll have money all year. I always eat the kraut and I aint broke!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Den Socling

Yep a pork roast in a slow cooker with sauerkraut and hot dogs makes January 1 my favorite day of the year.

Thank You Sponsors!