iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decision On Logging Winch vs Dozer

Started by dmartin, March 28, 2010, 11:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmartin

I need some input to help me decide on keeping my Tajfun logging winch or selling it and buying a small dozer to skid logs with. The winch is rated at 9000 lbs and does well pulling big logs up steep hills attached to my little 790 John Deere tractor. The problem is that after I get the log to the tractor the tractor is too small to pull it. The winch weighs about 750 lbs and the 3 pt hitch is rated at about 850 lbs so if I try to lift the winch with the log attached it is too heavy to do so. I built a log arch that works well but with a large log (32" butt 60' long) the tractor with loaded R4 tires just spins when starting an uphill pull. I like the little tractor and with the front end loader it is very versatile around the mill and for many other uses. I was thinking of getting another, bigger tractor but it would only be used for the winch and it is hard to justify the cost for just one use. My neighbor has an older John Deere 440 track loader that is in very good condition that he would sell me for about $1000 more than I think I could get for the winch if I sold it. So I am trying to decide if I should sell the winch and use the dozer for skidding or just cut the logs to shorter lengths and make several trips. I like to keep the logs whole so I can cut them to length as I need them as I don't always know what length lumber I'll be needing next. The logging and milling that I do is a hobby on my own land mostly for a shed and a barn that I am building this year. I am leaning toward selling the winch and getting the dozer as there are several other projects that I could do with it. Any info is appreciated thank you.

timberjackrob

does the trackloader have a winch? i have a 455 case track loader but no winch ise it to load logs and some roadbuilding. if it has a winch they do a good job a lot of guys around here still pull logs with a track loader,sure is a rough ride though.if you can find one with a log arch on the winch it would lift the tree off the ground and pull a lot easier
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

4genlgr

first off that size log is going to be a tough pull for most anything except a good size piece of equipment i'd look to increase the size ofthe tractor to a 50 hp one with chains for the tires
useed crawlers in the woods a long time but would really want a winch on it  too

rick f

What is the longest log you can mill?  No since in moving longer then you can mill.

I'd stay with the tractor and winch and buy the track loader if at all possible.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

bill m

Keep the winch and get a bigger tractor. The tractor is more versatile. Anything on tracks will be slower and a rougher ride but they will pull. The other problem you have are the r4 tires. That tread is almost useless in the woods and even worse in snow.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Burlkraft

A dozer is always nice to have around  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

justintimemoto

x2 on the dozer that way you got the tractor do do tight places inand you got the dozer you can do heavy stuff with, but how long are your pulls out of the woods?   what type of terrain you in? how big are the logs you usually skid?
ms660 372xp 455 rancher

2006 suzuki rm 125 for sale

stonebroke

Do you have chains all the way around? That would help on the traction front.

Stonebroke

treefarmer87

i have a 450 JD i have pulled 2 trees @ a time, topped of course i would go with the dozer or look for a skidder in your budget
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JDeere

One very important thing to keep in mind is the cost of operation of each machine. I understand this may only be a hobby and you may not be in it to make money but you are also probably not in it to spend tons of money. Your cost on the tractor is relatively small. The dozer is a whole different animal. If you use that dozer to skid logs (or anything else) you are wearing the tracks, sprockets, rolls, etc. You may go a long time without doing any repairs, but if you are buying a used machine you could easily be looking at $10,000.00 to do the undercarriage very soon. In other words, no matter how you do it, your cost to run that track loader is much, much higher. I would suggest a bigger tractor, 50hp+ with loaded tires, chains, etc.
By the way, I have both a tractor with a Tajfun winch and a Cat D-3CII dozer and I would never use the dozer in the woods, especially without a winch.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

celliott

If this is a hobby, or you arent looking for high production, you could consider just bucking the logs up in the woods, skidding them in 16ft, 12ft, etc lengths.  Thats probably your cheapest option.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

dmartin

Thanks for all the replies, there is some good information in them. I thought alot about what JDeere said about the maintenance and realize that I have enough equipment to maintain now. The cost and very importantly the time involved would be a big investment. It would be nice to have a track loader around but I can borrow my brother in laws skid loader for the other projects that I was thinking of for the track loader. Also my wife would have a hard time understanding why I need the winch and the little dozer. I guess the worst thing that could happen if I buck the logs before skidding them is I'll waste a little bit of lumber if I need 12' boards and I have 16' logs. If I plan ahead a little more that probably won't happen too often. I've decided to keep the winch and pass on the dozer for now and maybe I'll get a set of chains for it. Thanks for the input.   

Ed_K

Steel on the ground cost money. I run a 9000# tajfun on a 60hp 4x4 landini,not big enough.BIL has 12000# on a 90hp McCormick,not big enough. He also ran a JD350b w/winch tracks were corked and it worked to pull 4 12" hardwoods.
I use the landini to bunch then go get the taylor skidder to pull hitchs to landing.Sometimes I buck trees to logs just to make it easier to skid.
I also have a Baker band mill,lot of time I have log lenghts that don't have a home,so I saw them into cants.When I need that lenght I put the cant back on and resaw it.It's hassle to put them back on but their drying some while they wait.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!