iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue pine flooring supplier/sawmill

Started by pigsticker, October 06, 2018, 04:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigsticker

Hello all,

I have done some research and resolved that this is a great place to come to for advice. I want to install blue pine floors and started another thread about installation, but I want to know if anybody is aware of close suppliers that sell T&G of blue pine for flooring that would be the closest to my location, as I will have to go pick it up. I live in Minot, ND and have found places in Colorado and western Montana but most seem to be about 12+ hours away. Any closer places that sell the material at a reasonable price that I can get to quicker? Billings, Sheridan, Black Hills? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Also, what is a fair price to pay for this type of product. And should a person be looking for a certain type of specie of wood that is better for this type of installation? So many questions I know...but I sure would appreciate any help and advice!

47sawdust

You might be able to have it shipped cheaper than a 12 hour,or more drive.The reason I say that,I had a tractor forestry winch delivered to me by Land Air freight and there was a skid of pine on the truck.Minnesota,Wisconsin and Michigan would be worth a look.Lots of blue denim pine around.I've sawed more than I wanted from logs that sat too long.

Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, pigsticker!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

Before I bought my sawmill 
I had a very large skid of soft curly and wormy maple flooring shipped to NH.
I did pick it up at the trucking depot.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

goose63

Welcome to Forestry Forum pigsticker you make 4 of us here in N.D. I'm 65 Miles south of Fargo
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

The beauty of blue stained lumber would be in the eyes of the beholder and whether a supplier would stock it might be iffy and possible very expensive.  My thoughts would be to buy the rough sawn lumber and then have it dried and milled which still could be expensive.

I used blue stain lumber for both wall paneling and flooring here:  Cabin Addition in General Woodworking
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

It's around commercially. There is an outlet about 100 miles from me that sells blue pine paneling, they get it from out west somewhere. A decent lumberyard should be able to track some down. You will likely have a harder time finding it milled into flooring though. I love the look, but pine is too soft for flooring, IMO. Maybe in a loft or something, but in a main living area it will get chewed up pretty quick.
Too many irons in the fire

pigsticker

Hello all, thank you for the warm welcome. Barbender, where are you located that its available in the general area? That is also a concern of mine, that pine is soft. We are putting this into a summer cabin so the plus is that it wouldnt see year round use, but still, gouges and things can lead to splinters I'm sure. I just think it would be such an interstingly beautiful floor.

LeeB

Not all pine is the same. Southern Yellow is actually quite hard.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

I sell a lot of it, but it is blue LobloLLy pine, not lodgepole pine like out west.  SYP in the South has been used for floors since wood floors were invented.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

I make some and sell it. Mine runs $2.15/sf. It's difficult to keep in inventory as you only get the blue when the tree gives it to you. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

Pigsticker, I'm in northern MN. These southern guys are right, southern yellow pine is much harder than any northern or western pine species.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

I have installed many SYP floors
They are hard
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

henry-sawer

I've got lots of great info of this site, thank you all.I have lodge pole pine flooring thru out 3/4 of my house. It holds up good with poly varnish and not to much dirt on shoes. Its been in 20 years and getting ready to replace some in dinning/living room.

pigsticker

So can one find Blue Pine in the Southern Yellow Pine species? If so, anybody have any connections?

ljmathias

Actually, the hard part is to NOT get blue stain down here. Let it stand dead a while or lay on the ground a week after you cut it down, and it often will be stained. I've had better luck trying to figure out the best combination of harvesting and storage methods to get clear, non-stained hard pine. Made some doors for my daughter and SIL's stables and they turned out fantastic- log was from a tree knocked down by Katrina way back when, then I managed to trim off the bark on the sawmill and store the 12X12 cant till this year- dry as a desert and lots of sap inside to give it a range of brown and yellow colors. Anyway, good luck on your quest.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Quote from: pigsticker on October 08, 2018, 03:43:22 PMIf so, anybody have any connections?
It appears that you have assumed that Blue Pine is something that is readily commercially available.  Not so.  Most Blue Pine is beetle killed and commercial sawmills (here anyway) will not accept logs from dead trees.  Reason, they have no way of determining how long it has been dead and it's quality hence it is refused.  With large timberland holders such as  Weyerhaeuser, etc. it is simpler for them to lay a few acres on the ground and push it into a pile to try to isolate/contain the beetles.  Same with National Forest situations.  

Yes, there are some specialty lumber sellers that might get a handful and market it as "Denim Pine" with a huge markup.  I would recommend Googling "denim pine", etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Sorry to tell you this but the time to get blue Southern Yellow Pine was this past summer, the heat and humidity we had down here was making lumber stain fast.  Just yesterday I ran the last denim pine I had through my moulder into ship lap for a customer.  He was going to paint it so the stain was not a negative issue.   It left this morning.  If you have the luxury of time you could probably get a decent deal next summer if you were to place a standing order with a producer ahead of time. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!