iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blue/black pine sapstain

Started by 1938farmall, March 07, 2009, 12:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1938farmall

I'm working on a new pine project and have dark gray stain that oxalic acid won't touch.  Thought if anyone had a way to bleach it out, this would be the place to ask.  Anyone ever have any luck ?  Thanks, al
aka oldnorskie

isawlogs

The blue stain will not come out , it is a permanent no matter what you do . I just finished an aquarium stand thatwas made with blue stained  white pine , I wanted to varathan it as is , but someone used a veto and I had to stain it  ::)   :-\   I findit will give caracter to a none caracter wood .  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dodgy Loner

I just wanted to clarify what isawlogs said.  The gray stain on your pine is caused by a fungus and is called "blue stain" because it often is blue.  It's often gray, like yours, though.  I don't know of any way to get rid of it.  It penetrates the whole piece of lumber and will often get worse the more you plane off.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

woodmills1

as stated that is a blue stain from fungus.  The stain happens when the temperature is above 70 degrees.  Logs more than a week old will stain in the sap wood in hotter weather.  Cut boards that are not stickered will stain overnight in the summer.  Boards will even stain in the piles during hot weather.  The stain is impossible to remove, though it does not effect the strength of the lumber

I have marketed some stained pine as a specialty product......"denim pine"
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dodgy Loner

I've found that blue stain will affect pine even during the winter if the weather is humid.  We cut over 3000 bd.ft. of SYP between October and February, and every inch of it has blue stain.  Most of the logs were sawn into lumber the same day they were felled.  Fortunately, the lumber was just for a pole barn.  I would have been pretty disappointed if I had cut it for interior paneling or furniture.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!