iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canoe trailer

Started by metalspinner, May 19, 2013, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Our boy scout troop floated ( ::)) the idea that they would like a canoe trailer. So me and a buddy decided to build one.  This is the same friend that partnered up with me to build the trebuchet a few years ago.

We got started with a craigslist find of an old boat trailer. I payed $100 bucks for it.

We had to torch on it for a while to get rid of the boat stuff.

A couple of hundred feet of 2" pipe was donated to us that we used to build the canoe frame...

The ends of all the pipe were coped on the end mill so they had a nice snug fit for welding.

We had to extend the tongue of the boat trailer because we needed clearance for the long canoes.  Here I am drilling a few holes for the new receiver on the extension.

We had to take a break every now and then.

Checking out the progress of the build.  This was the end of a long day one.

Do you notice the nice new axels and tires?  This was donated, too. 8)

We had a work night with some Assistant Scout Masters to do some heavy paint and rust removal.

And finished up with a coat of primer...

The following scout meeting the boys hit the 2" pipe hard with sand paper. :)  They looked like a bunch of monkeys climbing around on it. :D

Still on the "To Do" list are fenders, steps, decking, paint, lights, and a few truck tool boxes for gear. 

Oh, and a bunch of canoes. We don't have the money for canoes, though. 

"Build it and they will come." :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ken

Great job.  Looks like you have lots of toys to work with to make it happen.  Those boys will remember activities like that for the rest of their lives.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Dave Shepard

Looks great! I bet having that nice, clean, well-lit facility didn't slow you down much either. :D What was that big drill? Looks like a Morris "Mor-speed". A friend of mine has one, but it's only about half that size.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

metalspinner

Yeah, there is  no shortage of space or tools in that shop. That area was just a little room off to the side, too. I'm not sure of the maker of the drill press. I just wanted my picture taken with it.  ;D

thecfarm

See what happens when you get promoted?  :D Looks good and a good lesson for the scouts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 19, 2013, 08:36:48 PM
Looks great! I bet having that nice, clean, well-lit facility didn't slow you down much either. :D What was that big drill? Looks like a Morris "Mor-speed". A friend of mine has one, but it's only about half that size.

I thought same with that column drill-press was quite a machine!  used some 8 and 12" sized ones the last place I worked had a 16" with power side (milling) capabilities on a 8' arm!   

Nice Canoe Trailer too!  There is a ROLL BAR WRAP (Think heavier duty floatation/ pool noodles) that you can Zip Tie or Glue onto the rails.  Those will help the paint and canoes stay damage free.   Perhaps adding a quick ratchet strap to each one of the support arms so they STAY ATTACHED instead of being lost 1st or 2nd trip out.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

gspren

The big drill press is what is known as a "radial arm drill press", very handy drills. I have used many ranging from much smaller to slightly larger.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

That is quite the shop and than some. WOW!!!!!!  That radial arm drill press is a machine and than some.  ;D  Who place is that? And it looks HUGE!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

metalspinner

thecfarm,
That shop is Hurst Tool and Stamping in Maryville, TN. It's a tool and die shop and a press shop. It's pretty cool to be in there with the huge presses operating. They can make anything. :) Mostly stamping tools but also injection molding dies, etc.

Like I said the pics show just a small part of the building. 1/3 of the building is leased out to Boatmate Trailers (remember the donated axel :)) In the first pic looking through the yellow door waaaay in the distance is a wall where the trailer place starts. In the distance to the left through the same door is a tall white shape... that is one of the stamping presses.

Chuck White

What a great Troop project!   smiley_thumbsup_grin
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!