iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice Storm!

Started by CCC4, December 05, 2013, 01:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

Well, we're in for a bad one it looks like! I cut this morning through mostly rain then it went to bouncing off my helmet. Cut 2 loads and it started coming down and nasty! Got a Southern front that is going to screw us royally. Power companies are already calling homes and saying 6 days w/o power! Dangit! All I have is electric heat...but I have generator so maybe we won't freeze. Weather guessers are saying now that we could get up to an inch of ice and 10 inches of snow by Monday night. Ice is already forming on the trees.

Hope evyone stays safe and warm while alot of States deal with this Winter blast. Have a good day!

terry f

Looks to be almost country wide, cold here.

CX3

Snowing like crazy here in south missouri. Schools closing like crazy and I'm getting my hunting stuff together lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CCC4

Yeh man, I'm near the Missouri line dead center in Arkansas, the weather map shows the State line being the seperation point between ice and snow. Ours have changed to sleet...come on sleet! Sleet won't tear limbs out and maybe our power will stay on...fingers crossed!

CX3, where are you located in S. Missouri? About as far North as we log is Gainsville. I used to do a bunch of riding up at Chadwick, do you know of Chadwick? Stay safe man!

shortlogger

Ice is building on the trees here in Scott county , I'm staring out the window dreading getting on that cold wet icy tractor to go put out hay .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

shortlogger

The lights are starting to flicker may not have power long !
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

CCC4

Yeh, I heard Fayetteville was loosing power at noon today. Our roads were icing when I got out of the woods today. Dang I hope this doesn't get like '09! I have my fingers crossed for ya shortlogger! Hope yer power stays on!

duckslayingpro

Trees were starting to ice over pretty good here at around 130. Just came home and roads were getting slick here in Ripley co. Hope everyone's power stays on and this craps blows out of here.

CX3

Then you know where sparta is lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

CCC4

Ripley, Missouri or Indiana?

CCC4

Quote from: CX3 on December 05, 2013, 05:00:58 PM
Then you know where sparta is lol

Yup! Is that where you are? Man they have a really nice TT track up there! I think they were talking about opening it up for 2014 and have races again.

treeslayer2003

I feel for you guys. last I heard we spossed get mostly rain. you guys stay safe. stay home.

CCC4

Hey CX3, do you know "Hedgerow" from the other sites? He has that GTG "Hedgefest"?? I think I'm gonna hit that this coming Spring...April I think it will be.

CCC4

Hey there slayer Mike! You better believe I'm gonna sit at home! LOL! I haven't had a day off in like 3 weeks! I can't remember though! LOL!

thecfarm

The poor trees. We went through one years ago. I will take 2 feet of snow any day. Which we don't get 2 feet of snow at one time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

duckslayingpro

Ripley county Missouri around Doniphan, MO

CCC4

Quote from: thecfarm on December 05, 2013, 05:45:07 PM
The poor trees. We went through one years ago. I will take 2 feet of snow any day. Which we don't get 2 feet of snow at one time.

The '09 ice storm was devistating to the timber here. NFS claimed a loss of 32% of their timber. The best I remember we got 1/2 to 3/4 of ice on the trees! I cut stands of pine after that storm, I would say 65% of the pine lost their tops down to the first set of ring knots and 20% of the broken timber had broke 20 ft. up...snapped off clean. This timber was very nice, mostly 3 ft on stump. I lost ALOT of pine futers on my own property. That Spring I went hog hunting in my secret little knook of the NF, and what used to take a 1 1/2 hr hike ended up taking 2 1/2 hours. The steep slopes were mostly fine but the lower hollows had fell in on top of themselves. After that ice storm the wild hog population exploded and will be here for a long time to come!

CCC4

Quote from: duckslayingpro on December 05, 2013, 07:21:53 PM
Ripley county Missouri around Doniphan, MO

Heck man, your not far from me at all! I'm between Mtn. Home and Calico Rock.

ScottAR

Still rain here but small amounts of ice are building on the cars in the drive... The 09 storm hit us really hard as well.  Demolished the power grid and ruined a lot of timber too.  At least the power grid is new?  Fingers crossed. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

CCC4

Other than being absolutely bored out of my mind....the power is still on ! YEAH! Snow came in sometime around 3 am and put nearly 6" of snow and it is coming down in masses! We are now expected to get 12"  by tonight. Snw and ice isn't going anywhere for a while..gonna be -2 tonight!

That's just ridiculous...70* to -2 in 48 hours! So this years extreme temps for Arkansas are 105* to -2! That's impressive really.

How's everyone holding up today?

RPowers

We avoided much ice here in central Madison Co. Got maybe 1/8" of ice then the changeover to sleet, now just snow. We live off grid with wood heat and propane for cooking, so I wouldn't know if the power went down anyways. Speaking of the 09 ice storm, I've seen some gorgeous mature timber just ruined by that mess. I lost some nice trees on my place as well, the tops broke down like a bunch of fingers 30-40' up.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

CCC4

I just opened the front door and see that we have 10 inches + of snow!

I sort of wish I lived off the grid and wasn't dependent on electricity as much. I need an outdoor wood burning stove really bad...but they are so so *DanG expensive!

duckslayingpro

No were not very far apart then. We made it through the ice here. Maybe 3/8 to 1/2 in but have around 8 inches of snow on the ground. Power has stayed on here.

ScottAR

The lights are still on here.  We got some snow but mostly sleet.  The roads are passable now, but darkness will make them worse quickly.  Coulda been a lot worse for sure. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

clww

We're supposed to see rain here at The Beach, but ice north-west of Richmond.
We had a record high of 80 degrees here today. It's still 76 outside now.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!