iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood prices

Started by Frickman, November 12, 2007, 08:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Climber

Hello Guys,
I am shocked to hear price $120 for cord. I am not in firewood business.
I am selling from job site green, unsplit, cut to your dimensions (14"-24") and delivered for $150 to $100 depends how much you are buying.
It is in Southern NH and Northern MA.

Frickman

Be careful what you wish for. I can't keep up with the firewood business right now. I sold everything I had on Saturday, and had more people stopping today, Christmas Eve. So I'm out there on Christmas Eve splitting firewood.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

ely

i make the real firewood guys mad all the time. if folks will come and get the wood at my place they can get it for 30 bucks a rick, i do not generally deliver wood, unless i have to go get some parts or food. if someone is old and can not do for them selves i just haul the wood to their house and give it to them free. i can do that because i am able to. i have several folks that i give wood to, and they know if they gripe about the different lentghs and types of woodthat i will slam the door shut. 70% of the wood i cut is slabs off the mill, the rest is dead trees that are too small to make anything with on the mill.

Frickman

$100.00 / cord. That's what I can buy mixed, green firewood for right now. Delivered too, if I'm close, which I am. One cord to ten cord loads. A number of local sawmills and loggers have put in firewood processors this past year, and that's what they're all selling it for. Back in 1990 I remember selling it for $90.00 at the mill. I cannot see how you can sell and deliver firewood for $100.00 / cord.

We have no pulpwood market here, so you have no cost for the wood on the stump. I still can't see how you can pull out the logs, truck them to a yard, process them, and sell the delivered firewood for $100 / cord when gas and diesel are over $3.00 / gallon.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Frickman on March 04, 2008, 07:36:59 PM
I cannot see how you can sell and deliver firewood for $100.00 / cord.

Tree length firewood for that price here and 12-14 cord TT loads.

QuoteWe have no pulpwood market here, so you have no cost for the wood on the stump.

??? To buy stumpage it's around $25-30/cord here. If you own the wood, that's different. No one gives wood away here off private land.

$180-220 processed and delivered  seems to be the range here. Mill wood trimmings seem to be higher in price, not including barked slabs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jesse

Quote from: Frickman on March 04, 2008, 07:36:59 PM
We have no pulpwood market here, so you have no cost for the wood on the stump. I still can't see how you can pull out the logs, truck them to a yard, process them, and sell the delivered firewood for $100 / cord when gas and diesel are over $3.00 / gallon.

and have money to replace the euipment when the time comes

roger 4400

Hi.  Overhere near Montreal, what we call a *cord* of firewood is usually 4ft X8ft X16 inches...... what some of you call a *face cord*.
     SO we need 3 firewood cords to get the  cord everyone of us use in pulp wood or else.    Overhere I sell  $90 per *16 inches * cords or $270 for the usual cord.. And $5 to $7 for delivery (16 inches )per cords...I guess this price is +- equivalent to yours.   Last week I received 2 vans of +_ 36 to 38 **firewood cords* each ( only hard wood ....Maple, beech, yellow birch...paid $1600 each) See you        Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

stonebroke

I guess as you go south and it gets warmer firewood gets cheaper. Same with Wood pellets.

Stonebroke

Frickman

Swampdonkey,

Our timber, all hardwood, tends to be fairly high quality. Plus, we have good markets for industrial lumber and pallet cants. So along with no real market for pulpwood, we pay nothing for firewood logs on the stump. We don't have alot of pulpwood grade trees though. Anything sound and 10" and up can at least go into blocking. We have mills here that buy logs and saw nothing but blocking. The stuff we're running into firewood is either top wood or the occasional cull tree. Most foresters don't even count the volume of the cull timber. They just paint it and count it as one tree. You have to fell it, and have the option of pulling it out or leaving it. On government sales they will measure the volume of pulpwood, but nobody really figures it into their bid.

Even with getting the timber for free I still can't see how you can do it for $100.00 / cord. Like jesse said, how are you going to pay to replace the equipment? These aren't fly-by-night outfits either. Several of them have been in the industry for generations and have a miilion dollars worth of equipment in the woods. Apparently they must know something I don't.

rebocardo

Well, the other thing to remember is trees grow faster and better down south. The woods I have in ME are no where as dense then what I have even in my Atlanta city backyard.  I had to get used to having oak trees still green in November/December  :D

Looking at tree rings here of white oak, you get sometimes 1/4" a year. Hard to tell on pines, but, I think some of them get 1/2" a year.

Georgia Pacific goes where the trees are, as far as I know, they do not own 10s of millions of acres in any of the New England states.

More trees = cheaper prices = noone drives truckloads of trees a thousand miles usually.

Though the weather has something to do with it. When I moved here I couldn't believe the amount of hardwood trees going to the landfill. I bought my first gas chainsaw so I could easily grab some big free oaks.

Though with the cold weather lately and how many people can't afford their natural gas bills, my customer has been able to give away his pine (for free) once we got it to firewood size cut and split. Last spring we literally couldn't pay people to take it away for lumber.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Even after paying for classifieds in our little bargain hunter classified paper,
I still had to have my slab pile hauled off.  The city has been after me to
"beautify" due to the fact that much of our old down town railroad district
has now been cleaned up to be more of a park area.  Times change!
My shop/warehouse adjoins this area.  I am still in a zone
which is considered industrial/commercial, so go figure!  Can't work
sometimes for taking time to satisfy "aesthetic requirements of the
downtown traffic corridor."

Of course,  I just knew I could get a little something  for the stuff.  NOPE!
Finally, I began to tell folks that they could have it all, if they would get it all.
That way I wouldn't be forced to be distracted by repeated interruptions, or
have to make arrangements to meet someone to get a load.

Fortunately, I had a tree service for whom I had sawed some dump side boards,
who had not returned the favor.  They hauled it off in a couple of big loads!  The clean
up continues!
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: rebocardo on March 05, 2008, 07:58:39 PM
The woods I have in ME are no where as dense then what I have even in my Atlanta city backyard.

I know something of the areas of forest down south and there is a different management strategy, you have more forest values than fibre for starters. I don't know where you were, but the woods are plenty dense where they aren't over harvested. In fact I've heard many people that come here say the woods are denser than where they come from. I guess you've never walked in managed immature fir and jack pine forest. It's also plenty thick where I'm thinning. Oh, 12,000-15,000 stems per acre. :D :D

Looking at tree rings here of white oak, you get sometimes 1/4" a year. Hard to tell on pines, but, I think some of them get 1/2" a year.

Yeah, about half that here, or worst. But our slower growing hard maple and yellow birch is very desirable from indications of Veneer buyers as far away as Indiana.

QuoteGeorgia Pacific goes where the trees are, as far as I know, they do not own 10s of millions of acres in any of the New England states.

Yeah, they gutted their woodlands in Maine and New Brunswick and sold to other interests in Maine and the NB government. There was around 900,000 acres. Hmmm, if they go where the trees are then why did they invest in mills and chipping plants up here? What made them leave home? You could live in the middle of the woods, but if no one cuts and sells wood, or government locks it all up in National Forests with minimal harvest levels, it's no good to a mill owner. ;)

QuoteMore trees = cheaper prices = noone drives truckloads of trees a thousand miles usually.

The source of timber here is never further than 100 miles from a mill. Only veneer mills haul hundreds of miles, and why are they doing that? Hard to figure out, and pay big prices for it to boot.

As for pulpwood markets, the wood couldn't be any cheaper unless we end up paying the mills to take our wood.  I would argue, that we are almost there. ::)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warthog

Greater Chicago area is $120-$140/face cord!  That is with delivery, but most places ask for another $15 to stack.

bull

phil you may want to grind your waste in to mulch....

Corley5

At 100 bucks a cord there'll be some used firewood processors on the market pretty soon.  Fifty five to sixty five dollars a 16" face cord is what wood is bringing around here.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

ohsoloco

Go figure Phil, I always wish I had more slabs in the yard  :-\  I run a free ad online, and I sell out in no time.  Of course, I don't saw a whole lot, so I usually only have a couple pickup loads to sell, but I could sell them all winter long if I had them.  That's for the hardwood...I just invite people over on weekends and bonfire the pine and spruce, which I always seem to have more of.

'Round here firewood is selling for about $150 for a full cord delivered. 

Coon

I just talked to a guy from Saskatoon today.  He said they are paying up to $175/ 1/2 cord for cut, split, and seasoned white birch.  Last year they were paying up to $100 for the same amount.  Guess I better get busy and have a bunch ready for next winter.  He claims the people are buying it even green for the same price.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

caz

150.00 to 200.00 here more if stacked

RSteiner

Watching fuel prices rise right now it looks like next year's heating costs are going to be higher than it was or is this winter.  I'm sure many are struggling with getting through this heating season.  If the price of fire wood is low right now it would seem like a good time for those who can afford it to stock up for next year.

With the cost of diesel fuel going up like it has I don't know how the price of fire wood can stay so low.  I friend of mine is a self employed logger with a good size Cat grapple skidder.  On an average day he can go through 50 gallons of fuel, that's more than $150.00 a day.  Unless he can get a certian amount for fuel wood it makes more sense to leave it in the woods.

The price of wood pellets has gone up this winter around here, so fire wood can not be too far behind.

Randy
Randy

ohsoloco

I think the problem around here is that there are no major firewood processors (at least not that I know of).  It's a lot of tree service & landscaping companies selling (it's getting harder and harder to get hardwood saw logs from tree services).  The biggest seller around here that I know of operates a dump for the tree services, so all they have to do is split and deliver it.

TeaW

The local shopper mag this week has 7 adds for firewood sales. 3 have prices $250, $270 and $300 per bush cord for seasoned wood. Fresh cut $210 and $240, all prices include delivery , some within 10 mile radius and others within 100K. radius. Bush cord seam's to be a local term ,is it used else where ? I think they mean a 128 cu ft cord, but may be not.
TeaW

Thank You Sponsors!