iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hallelujah!

Started by Jeff, March 01, 2008, 05:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Man, I thought things were really bad. I thought we were having a big crash again. I got a hold of dallas and they were no help.  I searched google on how to repair an mysql table and found a tutorial, and tried it and IT WORKED!!

Were back after only a short crash!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

That was close. Glad you managed to keep it all together. Thanks Jeff.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Reddog

I am sure it wasn't and easy fix. But glad it was fast. :)

Mooseherder

Had a bad feeling as it was happening while I was uploading pics. :(
I'm glad you figured it out and I hope it wern't me. :D

SwampDonkey

Yeah, that was the message I was getting. Something to the effect that the database table crashed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sbishop

Jeff, how often are backups done?

Sbishop

Dave Shepard

You didn't let Furby near that button again, did you?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Quote from: sbishop on March 01, 2008, 06:21:30 PM
Jeff, how often are backups done?

Sbishop

They are supposed to be done daily, but unless the tech I was getting nothing from earlier knows even less then nothing, he says he didnt see any back up on the other dirve since last october. >:(

Jeff

I just did a manual back up of the database.  Over a half gig of text now that makes up the messages on the forum..

SwampDonkey

That's a lot of Dang Text. Concerning the backup, that must have been about the time we came back on line after the crash. Don't they have software the backs stuff up on a set time of day or week? How hard could it be anyway?  I'm not so sure that making contact on a weekend with them is going to get you in contact with the most knowledgeable crowd in the office. The worst always happens on weekends, eh? ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Yea, it was about that time. I'm just wondering if the daily back up is on tape, and not the extra drive. I'm looking at my order form and it says extra hard drive with daily back up.  Maybe I just assumed the back up was going to the other drive.  I'll be on the phone Monday to find out for sure. Were paying for it now, we dang well better be getting it.

StorminN

Jeff,

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly... but with the price of storage these days (750GB for $150?), it's surprising your provider doesn't have a RAID array on the live server... the array would be two to five disks with the forum data redundantly saved on all of them... and then a scheduled backup to another method, like tape or another disk or RAID array.

I run a bunch of RAID arrays, all of them are two-disk RAID mirrors. The latest one was a simple as two 750GB external firewire drives from Costco ($199 each) so whatever I write to one, writes to both. If one drive dies, the other one has the same data, nothing is lost. The only weakness is that the array is still prone to "pilot error"... if I erase a file, it's erased from both drives at once... so daily / weekly backups to tape or other drive(s) is still a good idea.

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Jeff

I dont want anything to do with Raid after talking with Tim from Bio-Mizer. They lost all thier data once. The problem with raid as explained to me is that it creates a real time data copy. If things go wrong with the database server and the tables get corrupted or damaged, the same thing is happening to the real time copies.  In this case, where the database tables began having problems, a raid backup would have been useless.

logwalker

I was noticing a lot of lag and delayed page loading the last couple days. Was this related to the problem? Right now it is screamin' fast. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

sbishop

Jeff, I would talk to them to make sure you are getting what you are paying for. if they say a backup everyday, you should be getting a backup everyday. now having a backup everyday is nice, not tested the backup is no good either. the backups should be tested at least once  week to make sure whats going on tape is able to be restore. Just in case anyone cares i'm a Senior Network Administrator for an investment manager here in NB (no i'm not a logging, welder, builder...etc HAHA). Backups are the most important part of my business because hardrives can die at any time. Using Raid is good too but you still need backups. We just implicated a Disk-to-Disk-Tape backup unit about 6 months ago, talk about some sweet, i don't a backup to disk first, then it duplicates it from disk to tape. I have a month worths of backups on disk ready to be restored within seconds.

All of my servers are setup with 2 disk in a Raid 1 (mirror) for the operating system and 4+ disk in a raid 5 for data plus an online spare in case a drive fails. ok enough techy talk!
;D
Sbishop

LOGDOG

Thanks for getting things back up and going Jeff. I was starting to go through withdrawal ... twitchin' , shakin' and everything. Good to have it working again.

LOGDOG

Warbird

Ouch.  Glad you got 'er back, Jeff.  Good catch on the back ups.  You know that old saying?  "If ya want something done right..."

Jeff

I wish I had a way to run things from here. I mean the servers and everything. I probably don't know half a % of what I would need to know, plus the cable connection aint enough to do it, and is the best available here that I know of.

Jeff

I'll be keeping an eye on this, but hopefully, this has been taken care of

Hi Jeff

I spoke to you this morning about the disk to disk backup not working.  I opened a ticket for you on it and one of our unix admins fixed the problem.

Terry

Josh C
QuoteHello,
The permissions on /etc/cron.daily/d2d-backup.sh were incorrect so it was not being executed normally. I have corrected this and started a test run, it should work from this point forward. Full backups are on Sundays, incremental backups on every other day.

best regards,
Josh Craddock
Linux Administrator

[Edit Ticket Post]   

Terry
QuoteCustomer bought disk to disk backups October/07
They had a database corruption problem and found that there were no current backups
Customer said the only back up availabe was from Oct 6/2007

Gary_C

Did you get a refund?   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jeff

It was a one time charge to set it all up as I bought the extra equipment. I bet I dont.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on March 03, 2008, 08:08:33 PM
I bet I don't.

Me too. But, if ya did, it would be a pleasant surprise. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!