iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TF Sugar Shack

Started by nas, February 26, 2012, 04:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

Put up the frame of my sugar shack yesterday. It is my first attempt at timberframing and fortunately I had lots of good help.  3 brothers in law, a friend, and employee and an orange tractor 8).  That's me in the cute orange boots :D.  I hope to get the rafters cut this week.  I better hurry cause I need to start sugaring next week smiley_whip

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Piston

Nas,
That looks GREAT! 
What size is the sugar shack going to be? 

Are you going to have the opening in the top to vent off the moisture? 

Looks really good!  8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Looks good to me.... nice job.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

How many gallons you do a year? Orange boots,Viking? If they are Viking I just bought a pair late summer. I really like them. Wished I would of bought a pair years ago. I wear them just about every day. Building looks good. Sap was running,but the wind been blowing and kinda cold. Was up in the 40's here last week.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ljmathias

Looks great- nice work in that frame.  I'm puzzled by what it's sitting on- is this a movable cabin that you'll skid around or is there some foundation that I can't see clearly?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

frwinks

Looks great Nick.  Hope your sap season was decent, up here people are saying 40% of usual output..sad
The "shack" looks great, I like the design

samandothers

AH! That type of sugar shack.  :o

It looks great. As LJMathias asked I would be interested if you plan to move it around. 

nas

syrup season was awful this year :(  I tapped late because I wasn't ready, and got about 10% of a crop.  In a normal year I do about 125 gallons.
lj the shack is on sonotubes on the corners, they are kind of hard to see in the pictures.  I will take more pictures when it is done.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

logboy

What kind of foundation did you use for your shack? Is it on blocks?  What are the dimensions?  I really want to get my done while its warm, or at the very least the foundation. I can frame the rest whenever.  Output was terrible for me last year too. If I had listened to the old timers I would have got nothing. Fortunately I tapped 2-3 weeks early I still made 8 gallons or so from 200 taps. Thats pretty pitiful considering I made 2 gallons from 12 taps the year before.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Brian_Weekley

Bump

Nick, did you ever finish this?  I'd like to see a photo of the finished version.
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!