iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cucumber Tree/Wood/Lumber

Started by 123maxbars, May 12, 2012, 12:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I had a logger come by today with a load of what he called Cucumber Tree Logs. He said that it is similar to poplar and that most sawmills buy them and sale them as poplar. I havent bought the logs yet. Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated. I have a big order for poplar for barn siding and was thinking about using these logs.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Don K

I think what I know as a cucumber tree is a big leaf magnolia. Don't know about the lumber but it should be soft like poplar. Never saw a really straight one though. Curious what this turns into if it does.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ianab

Probably  Magnolia acuminata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnolia_acuminata

QuoteIn the timber trade, this tree is interchangeable with that of the related tuliptree (Liriodendron tulipifera)

Tuliptree is commonly used in woodworking as it's light, stable and easy to work with, although pretty plain grained. Usually used as a secondary wood for drawers and hidden parts. Not sure how the durability would be for exterior use?

Poplar is a common name for Tuliptree in many places.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bugdust

We have the Cucumber tree in these parts and nobody cares much for them. I don't see much resemblance to the Tulip Poplar. The leaves are long and wide and once the red pedals fall off the bloom it resembles a cucumber. The wood is soft in comparison to the Poplar. I always heard squirrels like to ear the seeds.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Bogue Chitto

I have one in my yard.  Grows fast like the tulip tree. 

west penn

Actually tulip poplar is closer to a magnolia than it is to a true poplar (aspen) .  I doubt very much that you could tell the difference once it is sawn. Maybe one of the foresters can fill us in  on the difference.

Ron Wenrich

Cucmber is thrown in with the tulip poplar lumber.  Both are magnolias.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

123maxbars

Does the lumber from cucumber trees resemble yellow poplar?
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

4430jd

Here in central PA, we have cuccumber trees scattered among the hard woods. I had one sawed years ago. Identifacation is easy with bear claw marks. They climb to the top branches to eat the seed pod. The lumber that was sawed dried twisted.

YellowHammer

Around here, in North Alabama, tulip poplar is specifically used and requested for barn siding because of its amazing bug resistance.  My barn is sided with poplar, and although 20 years old, doesn't have a bug hole, bee hole, or termite.  I've seen termites build tunnels on, but not in, poplar to get to and destroy oak.   Many of the old log cabins that are still standing in these parts are made from solid poplar logs.  Poplar rots quick so isn't used for structural ground contact, but is the wood of choice for siding.  I sawed a barn package just this weekend for a customer, and he had to have poplar siding.  I wonder if the cucumber tree has equal insect resistance?  If not, the customer might not be amiable to the substitution. 

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Quote from: 123maxbars on May 13, 2012, 12:29:58 PM
Does the lumber from cucumber trees resemble yellow poplar?

Yes.  The heartwood is also green like in yellow poplar.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SamB

Dodgy Loner

As a general rule, magnolia lumber can only be separated from tulip-poplar by microscopic means. Of course, many magnolia species are too small or crooked or limby to make quality lumber, but cucumbertree is an exception. It often grows tall, straight, and free of limbs, so it can produce lumber of excellent quality. It also differs from most other magnolias in that the bark is deeply ridged and furrowed, looking more like tulip-poplar than like a typical magnolia. I'd say that if you have an order for tulip-poplar lumber, you can mix in the cucumbertree in good conscious, since all of the important properties of the wood will be identical. The logger is correct - this is done all the time in the lumber industry.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 15, 2012, 08:54:40 AM
As a general rule, magnolia lumber can only be separated from tulip-poplar by microscopic means.

I don't know if you have noticed I am sure that you have noticed that yellow poplar has a distinct row of marginal parenchyma that terminates the annual growth ring.  Magnolia has a double row of marginal parenchyma in some growth rings.  Not sure at all about cucumber tree, probably identical to yellow poplar.

BTW, cucumber tree must be a yellow poplar before all the kindergarten kids cut the top half of the leaf off with scissors  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Frickman

Cucumber makes excellent barn and wagon lumber. I saw alot of it for those markets. I resist putting it in with tulip poplar though. Years ago I had an end user of hardwood lumber tell me that it causes problems when kiln-dried and used in cabinets and furniture. He said that it tends to check and split when used this way.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: WDH on May 15, 2012, 08:48:27 PM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 15, 2012, 08:54:40 AM
As a general rule, magnolia lumber can only be separated from tulip-poplar by microscopic means.

I don't know if you have noticed I am sure that you have noticed that yellow poplar has a distinct row of marginal parenchyma that terminates the annual growth ring.  Magnolia has a double row of marginal parenchyma in some growth rings.  Not sure at all about cucumber tree, probably identical to yellow poplar.

I remember you telling me that back in 2003 when I was first learning wood ID, but I have never found that to be the case. I have samples of yellow-poplar, cucumbertree, Fraser magnolia, and umbrella magnolia in front of me right now - and all of them have only a single row of parenchyma (at least that is visible to my eye). Do you have any magnolia samples that exhibit this trait? ???
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Magnolia grandiflora

Not sure about the other magnolia clan.  No, no samples.  This theory needs tested.

purple otter

Here are a few pictures of some cucumber trees I have at my camp.They are about 22" DBH and 40' straight before any branches.The problem is they are rotten at the stump. I'm not sure if I should harvest them so as to control direction or just let nature take them down. I will saw them into boards so hopefully the lumber has value.

Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

WDH

With the rot in the butt, I would go ahead and take them now.  They have done all that they are going to do, and when you harvest them, another one will take its place and renew the cycle.

mooleycow

aka mountain magnolia,  I've seen them 6 feet or more in diameter.  does get mixed in with poplar logs on a load.  found through out the mountains of NC.  makes beautiful bread kneading bowls as well as furniture. 

WDH

They also have beautiful flowers in the spring.

Thank You Sponsors!