iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safest way to remove logs?

Started by WoodChucker, April 20, 2003, 07:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodChucker

Hi all, early winter last year the county cut and stacked a bunch of 10 foot long logs on my property for me taken from along side the road.

The pile is about 8 to 10 feet high and 40 feet long. I'm new to milling and have never worked around a log pile like this before, so I figured I'd ask you guys the safest way to start removing logs?

The only equipment I have is a small Ford 4x4 tractor with forks on it. Thanks!

R.T.    
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Bro. Noble

WC,

How large is your small tractor?  We use a Ford 4610 and have been able to lift all but a few logs we have come across.  It's about 55 hp and we usually have a winch on the back which helps.  Start with small logs until you get an idea what you can do.  Keep your load close to the ground if it's heavy.  

If you're going to be doing this a lot,  consider getting a wheel loader or forklift and save a lot of wear and tear on your tractor.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

chet

Da safest way I can think of is to git someone else to take da risk.  ;)   I  VOLUNTEER    I'll jist move'um over to my place, so ya won't have to worry about a thing.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Patty

We use a 95 HP JD with forks on the front and a Farmi skidder on the back. The forks will handle everything but the very biggest logs without much trouble. The skidder is perfect for getting back into the woods where the tractor can't go.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WoodChucker

Thanks for the replies everyone, I don't think I said it the right way, what I'm worried about is the log pile itself rolling down as i remove logs. Is there a safe way to do this or at least minimize the dangers? I can see me removing a log from the end and the logs on top come rolling down. Is this  a problem or am I worried about nothing? Thanks!
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

BE ASSURED. Once the logs start moving, one will get cross ways and do it's best to mow you down. It's tricky to pick the one to start with.
  When I worked for the power company, I would work from the side of the pole rack(elevated) and have one foot already in gear, to haul butt !!!!  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

That's definitely a concern, Woodchucker.

I work around piles of logs like that on occassion and use a chain and skid hook.  I work from the front of the pile but off to the side and pull the logs with the chain to clear the pile.  You could then use your forks once the log is in a safe place.

It is also important that you keep the kids away from that stack. They will climb on it and all it takes is one log to slip and it will be all over.  I have a friend sawyer that lost his 12 year old grandson because the kid clilmbed on a newly dumped load of logs after being told not to.  Those logs don't bounce and a human body offers them no resistance what-so-ever.  

When you get through for the day or for the work period, make sure that you pull all unstable logs to the ground so that you leave the big pile as stable as you can.

If you are pulling with a chain, then 45 to 90 degrees from the pile should keep you safe.

I have set my mill up at the base of a pile like this and sawed straight from the pile.  If you do this, make sure you leave a good distance from the pile to the mill, like 20 feet or more. When you break logs from the pile, use a good cant hook and stand to the side away from the end of the log.  Make sure that anyone helping does the same thing.

You can use two small, long logs as runners to help get the logs to the mill. Lay them like railroad track from the pile to the mill and about 6 feet apart.

Don't try to stop a log once it begins to move.  You can't do it.

WoodChucker

Thanks guys, well I see I better be careful for sure. At almost 400 pounds, I don't move as fast as I'd like to anymore. So I'm glad I asked before going at it and getting hurt.  The way they stacked the logs, is right in the middle of the road, so it doesn't give me a lot of room to work off the side of the pile but there is some.

Tom, I don't have any kids around to worry about of my own, but I sure would hate to see some kid from the area come along and get hurt out there. You got me thinking now, I better get out there and try to knock down that pile a little. Thanks for bringing that up, it hadn't even crossed my mind. :(

Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate the help and I will be careful. :)

R.T.

Thank You Sponsors!