iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

carriage advancement rule

Started by theweber, February 26, 2009, 06:52:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theweber

I do not have a way to measure my advancement of the carriage to theblade other then a folding rule. I have seen on some pictures of old belsaws that have one on the back of the carriage . Can some one post some pics of one and the mechanism of how it works.  I does not have to be a belsaw . I just need a idea of how to make one thanks .

jason.weir

Not the greatest picture but this is me running JSNH's mill. 

It has a long ruler mounted to the carriage with a pointer showing advancement toward the blade, it had different scales on it if you were cutting 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4 and so on.  I believe it also had a straight inch scale.

-Jason

sgschwend

Here is a pic of the mill I am working on.  The needle turns as the carriage move, there is a simple string, pulley, lead weight that runs to the shaft, you can just see it.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Sprucegum

I don't have a picture.
I fastened a piece of an old tape measure to the base of the headset. A piece of haywire moves along it as I advance the setworks.
Eventually the math will become second nature, I hope  ::)

DanG

I used an old piece of a tape measure too, but I use a laser for a pointer.  The laser is just a $5 laser level from Walmart, with a magnetic base on it.  It hangs on an old bracket I dug out of the junk pile and clamped onto the moving part of my mill.

On the tape, I made a mark 5/16" shy of each inch mark.  That automatically compensates for my 5/16" kerf.  I just rotate the laser to one of the white dots, then set the mill to the true measure.  No further thinking is required. :)

In that last photo, to cut a 1" board, I would just move the mill to the 15" mark.  For a 2", just move to the 16" mark, etc.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Chico

you can use a square with a pointer on it or get a small shaft use it a s a jackshaft and put an upright on the mill  and mount a drum  or clockface dial and use your ratio to get the travel you want and mark it out or use thw square for the increments jmo
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

bandmiller2

Dan,your a clever old codger,thats a good idea i must remember that.Webber if you could make a quadrant like a regular handset mill uses you just drop a stop pin in the right hole and pull the lever over till it stopes.Mayby a setup like jason showed with an  aluminum yard stick and a DanG laser pointer with a quadrant stop.With the yardstick you make a chart to allow for kerf so when you square a cant it will come out right to the last board.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Web,I've never tried this but what if you measured out on one of the flat bunks board width plus kerf and drilled a hole and so on.Stick a pin in the next hole and pull over.When your cutting the last slab off a cant locate on the nearest hole and everything will work out to the last board.frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chico

Bandmiller thats prob not bad for pine but you should never shim Hardwood on the outside unless you're just cutting dimension  regardless Hardwood  shoiuld be sawn as it grades and any shim should come from the last line
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Thank You Sponsors!