iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 vs. a mountain of logs

Started by Ga Mtn Man, October 16, 2013, 09:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Started my first job with the new mill today.  Customer wants about 12,000 bd/ft of 1x6 oak for fencing and about 5000 bd/ft of 2x10 pine.  I may be here awhile. smiley_sweat_drop

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It's a GOOD THING you have a seat.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

It is a good thing that you are a young buck  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Fantastic!  This is without a doubt what I would call the "mother load" 8)  Logs look good too, best get on cutting some stickers, and blocking,  and a bag full of apples,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Larry

You best eat a double portion of grits in the morning. :D

Nice looking logs with the exception of a couple of pecker poles.

Hope you have a smooth ride. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

barbender

That is a nice looking job, I hope you don't have any plans for a few weeks :D When did your mill change colors?
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

I am thinking that you will be getting the feel of those controls by the time you finish that job.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Nomad

Your truck is going to get familiar with the way to that jobsite, for sure. 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

manoverboard

Great way to break in the new mill!!
TimberKing 2000, 35hp Diesel, Kubota L3800 w/loader

Chuck White

It'll keep you busy for a while, that's for sure!

Nice way to break in a new mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Mill looks good.  Hope you have some help will all that lumber.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

grweldon

Looks like a great job!  Have fun.  Hope you have lots of help offbearing and stacking!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ga Mtn Man

I saw the lumber and leave the toting and stacking to someone else. ;D
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

jim blodgett

Hey, let me ask something.  What's reasonable expectations for a job like that?  With a good helper and a tractor to get logs to the mill when you need them?  Maybe a second helper to wash logs and stack and sticker lumber?

1,000 board ft/day in mixed 1x and 2x?

More?

fishpimp

I'm wondering too  . I saw by myself, sometimes with my helper Chico. Hahah my skid steer
loader!
With good logs and good setup like that a man should b making lots if sawdust fly !

uler3161

Quote from: jim blodgett on October 17, 2013, 09:35:40 AM
Hey, let me ask something.  What's reasonable expectations for a job like that?  With a good helper and a tractor to get logs to the mill when you need them?  Maybe a second helper to wash logs and stack and sticker lumber?

1,000 board ft/day in mixed 1x and 2x?

More?

I think it should be between 2000 and 3000 assuming 8 hour day, no breakdowns, and decent logs. Might be over 3000 if everyone knows their stuff. I've had a 3000+ day with one helper running a excavator w/thumb for moving logs around on my old LT40HD. A newer mill might have gotten me a little bit more.

I should add that I haven't cut any oak because we really don't have many oak trees out this way, so maybe I'm off on my estimate. But I do cut a lot of pine.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Red Clay Hound

Hey Paul, I haven't been on the forum much lately.  I just noticed that you have a new mill.   8). How's it working for you?  Did you get finished with that job?  That's a big job for a part-timer! :)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Gasawyer

On the board foot per day with good logs and 2 helpers running 8-9hr days I average 3500bdft. Best total ever 4600bdft in 11 mill hours with one helper  all 1" pine. Last large job 14000bdft in 5 easy days mostly pine 1"x12" 16'-20', various 2", and White oak 1".  Hope the new mill is working out for you Paul!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Ga Mtn Man

That job ended up taking only two days.  After two days of off-bearing 16' oak slabs, the customer realized he was going to need two people to keep up with the mill (I told him that at the beginning :-\)  At the end of the day he told me he had made some calls and arranged to have the logs hauled to a circle mill and that,  yes, it was going to cost him more but he wouldn't have to take as much time off from work to go that route.  I really think he was just feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work it was going to take on his part.  I told him I understood and thanked him for the work.  Honestly, I wasn't too disappointed to loose the job as it was a 75 mile drive one way and the "apartment" he had offered to let me stay in turned out to be an empty bonus room over the garage with an air mattress to sleep on. 

Tony (Red Clay Hound)-   I got this "used" mill (8 hrs) about two months ago.  It's working fine.  I'm a full-time sawyer when the work is there.

Gasawyer-  I have never come close to putting out those kind of numbers.  I would love to spend a day with you and see how you do it.

Gasawyer

I'll let you know te next time I have a job that has that kind of volume. Lately its been  750-1000 bdft jobs local of coarse. Or 2-3 logs that they bring that we saw while they wait. So how do you like your new mill?
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Thank You Sponsors!