iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gun Restoration

Started by Scott, October 06, 2006, 06:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Last night I was given some old guns that have been in my uncles basement for awhile. Theyre in pretty good shape but have some light surface rust on them. I've wire brushed the rust off and am wondering where to go from here. Can anyone tell me about re-blueing the barrels? Thanks

dutchman

There are two ways to reblue,cold blueing is for minor repair,and hot blueing for total coverage.
Sounds like you need to hot blue if the guns are worth the effort.
A gunsmith could tell you what's best.
Cold blue kits are available from Cabela's, Dicks,ect.

Ron Scott

Ditto to the hot blue and to have an experienced gunsmith look over the guns first for an evaluation and recommendation as to how best to retain their condition and value.
~Ron

Scott

Thanks guys. Sounds like I'll have to track down a gunsmith and have the guns gone over and reblued.
    I brushed off the old single shot 12 gauge and cleaned the bore out. Had it out for a bird hunt this morning. That thing kicks like a mule   :D

SwampDonkey

My brother and father used to hunt grouse with 12 guages and you couldn't find the bird, just feathers in the air. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I had that problem with Quail too.  My responses were too quick.  That, and a quail rising from underfoot will take a year off of your life.

I had to wait and follow him with the gun until he got a reasonable ways away before I pulled the trigger.  It's a real study in self control.

Dad's Smart Dog

Daniel

SwampDonkey

Grandfather liked telling stories like that too. :D :D Now, I can't remember none of'm. Just call me 'feathers for brains'. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Swampdonkey, that ain't no story. It's the honest truth. ::) I know 'cause Dad said, "Boys, you probably won't believe this but it's as true as y'all are standing there."  That had to be some quail dog. :-\
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bill

It's good to let a gunsmith check them out first - some of those older colts winchesters s&w remingtons etc etc go for high dollar iffen they're in decent condition.

Good Luck  . . .

Corley5

Some models are best left in orginal condition.  Re-bluing lessens value
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

I finally got down to hunting Grouse and Pheasant and Rabbit, with a 410 double side X side. Hand loaded with #4 shot, took 47 of 'em, per shell, 3".  Grouse in Jersey, I nicknamed "Thunder Birds". You never saw 'em, just heard 'em.

One day, after wasting ½ a box of shells, I started studyin 'em. Figgered out how to get 'em to show them selfs, and that was all it took. Used to limit out (6) per day, whenever we went. Even got "Hotshot" BIL to limit out.

He HAD to have one of them 20 gauge remington light model automatical jobs. 3 shots otter get 'em, says he.  ::) ::) ::)

One day, after he flushed a Pheasant and wasted 2 shots, I screamed at him "LOOK OUT".

He said WHY ???  I said "forget it". NOW, shoot that bird. Bang, and it was down.  ::) ::) ::) ::)  He was Quicker-N Annie Oakley.  ::) ::) :D :D :D  After that, he waited a bit and only needed one shot.

Someday, I'll tell y'all bout the day I shot HIM.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Why wait  ??? ??? ???

We gotta hear that one now..... ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!