iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nation's 10 Most Dangerous Jobs

Started by Tree Feller, September 24, 2012, 11:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

Fox News online had an article on the 10 most dangerous jobs in the U.S. in 2011.  Commercial fishing was the most dangerous occupation with 40 fatalities and a fatal work injury rate of 121.2

Second most dangerous?  Logging... with 64 fatalities and a fatal work injury rate of 102.4 and at a median salary of only $32,870 a year.

I guess it's a labor of love cause the pay sure ain't worth the danger.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

Horse stables can sometimes find local teenage girls to work there for free, because they just SO want to be around horses, they'll do anything to be around horses, whether shovel manure, dig fence posts, or whatever. Sometimes I think that's the way it is for logging and saw milling, people just want to be there.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tree Feller They have been in those top two positions for a long bloody time  :) :) And Ill take my chances on the side of the hill in the bush with my saw  ;) over being stuck on a boat in the middle of nowhere with no way out Any Day  ;) ;D ;D

That being said Loggin's not for the faint of heart or idiots with no regard for their own safety in my book either  ;)

Jim you bang on there but we would not be dead for quids Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

James Arsenault

And driving the highway to get to our dangerous jobs is even more dangerous! LOL!

clww

I thought working on the flight deck for 20 years on aircraft carriers was a pretty dangerous area to work in, too.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WDH

Trees are irregular objects that can contain a lot of potential energy.  Because they are irregular, they can be unpredictable.  Felling trees is especially dangerous.  They don't always do what you think that they will do. 

Another danger area that many people do not perceive is a big pile of logs.  Logs roll.  Logs roll on and kill people.  Be cautious around big log decks.  Logs are kinda round, and round things roll a lot easier than square things.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Quote from: clww on September 25, 2012, 07:20:22 PM
I thought working on the flight deck for 20 years on aircraft carriers was a pretty dangerous area to work in, too.

It is, but it's obviously dangerous. You are surrounded by jet engines, fuel and bombs... I bet no one gets complacent.

But everyday things like trees, tractors, or the ocean can (and do) kill you just as dead, especially if you around them every day and get complacent.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Okrafarmer

If they included military jobs, something would have to be said for the troops on the battlefield in Afghanistan. Flying in a combat zone in helicopters is incredibly dangerous. Flying in ANY helicopters, anywhere in the world, is dangerous.

The civilian jobs pale in comparison to military deaths, either in total numbers, or percentages.

My uncle survived a crash on takeoff, while piloting his Huey in Vietnam. He broke his back, but not his spinal cord. He made a full recovery.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Tree Feller

I read somewhere once that there had never been an aircraft carrier deployed, peace time or war time where at least one of the crew had not died.

I can't even imagine working on a flight deck of an aircraft carrier. Launching and recovering fighter aircraft, helicopters, ASW and Early Warning aircraft, loading and offloading ordinance, fueling, etc. That's gotta be up there on the dangerous scale, obvious or not.

I fly helicopters to the rig and back every hitch. We now mostly fly either the Sikorskiy S-76 or the larger S-92 if the rig helideck is rated for it. Most flights are over an hour and I'm generally asleep before we are over the GoM. It's highly preferable to a 5-6 hour crewboat ride in rough seas.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

Civillian helo's are definitely safer than military helo ops, they take more safety precautions than the military does (I refueled civilian aircraft for a few months, including helicopters, and my boss told me some of the differences between military and civilian protocols). But having said that, I'm pretty sure that civilian helo's are still more dangerous than civilian fixed wing a/c.

sandhills

And to think, all this time I figured the most dangerous would be working at the salebarn  :D.  Seriously though aircraft carriers sure would have to make you eat your wheaties every morning before going to work, and any helo be it civilian or military, once there's trouble there's not much chance of recovery.  An entire crew of a Life Flight chopper was killed about 40 miles away from here a few years ago after mechanical failures when taking off.

Migal

Let's face it  ;D If we were made to fly God would have gave us wing's / If we were made to float God would have gave us duck like bottom's Hmm Okay some do  8) I was meant to cause trouble that's why my bone's hurt and I don't see very well and yes I'm the one saying what did they say? Dang hearing. Kinda annoying if it's not you wondering what they said. Im sure.  :P
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Okrafarmer

mad murdock

Okra, to your musings about the safety of rotorcraft vs fixed wing in the civil aviation realm, having been engaged in (sl)aviation for 25+years, one statistic stands out, the aircraft with the best safety record when you consider total flight hours/fatalities ratio, the Bell 206 Jet Ranger is at the top of the list as the aircraft with the lowest fatality rate of all aircraft to date(a helicopter).  In the aircraft maintenance trade we joke that we are in aviation not for the money,
Rather for the glory of aviation. Most sectors of aviation don't pay all that great when compared to say being an auto tech at a dealer, or being a diesel mech. Fwiw.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

Spent lots of time in the Jet Ranger on the west coast of Canada. Hughes 500 to. The Jet Ranger is kind of gutless in comparison. With 4 passengers, you needed some wind in the sails, so to speak, in order to take flight. I've stepped out of those things with just the front of the skis touching a log or snow pack. The snow pack deal was at the head wall of an extinct glacier (Cirque). Dropped the gear and it was like sliding on a play ground slide. Only at the end is was about 400 feet down to the ocean. Lord love us. I'm all done doing that nonsense for timber. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Yeah, you'd think it was gold or something!

The Jet Ranger is a very safe a/c, no doubt about it. I used to refuel them. You're right about the limited capacity. The two I fueled regularly were news helicopters for our local area, and they had heavy camera setups. Only the pilot could go along. We were not allowed to give them a full fuel load, or they would have had trouble taking off.

Sixacresand

I read somewhere that working in a convience store ranks pretty high in fatalities. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mad murdock

Convenience store clerk. Definitely a dangerous job!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JIM GORMLEY

There were over 80 LODD deaths of firefighters last year, both paid and volunteers
I live with fear and danger. On the weekends,I leave her and go wild boar hunting.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: JIM GORMLEY on October 02, 2012, 04:51:55 PM
There were over 80 LODD deaths of firefighters last year, both paid and volunteers

I was unger the impression a WildLand Fighter's job was at the top.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JIM GORMLEY

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on October 02, 2012, 05:08:51 PM
Quote from: JIM GORMLEY on October 02, 2012, 04:51:55 PM

I was unger the impression a WildLand Fighter's job was at the top.
When it comes to LODD,(LINE OF DUTY DEATHS), a firefighter is a firefighter. Sadly, the majority of LODD's, are interior firefighters.
I live with fear and danger. On the weekends,I leave her and go wild boar hunting.

Kodiakmac

Don't know about deaths, but up here our politicians have the highest injury rates.

They keep dislocating their shoulders - not sure if it's from patting themselves on the back or scratching their arses.
Robin Hood had it just about right:  as long as a man has family, friends, deer and beer...he needs very little government!
Kioti rx7320, Wallenstein fx110 winch, Echo CS510, Stihl MS362cm, Stihl 051AV, Wallenstein wx980  Mark 8:36

Thank You Sponsors!