iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price for timbers?

Started by KnotBB, February 17, 2008, 02:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnotBB

Just a question.

What would be a good price for a timber?  What would be a good price FOB your location?

Say 6" x 12" by 20'

wood to be either Western Hemlock or Sitka Spruce

Spec would be FOHC and/or boxed heart.

KD could be an option.

Oregon has 400mmbdf of windthrow wood on the ground and I think it can be had for less than current market and was wondering if I wanted to persue the market.

Steve
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

ARKANSAWYER

SYP, boxed heart    green off saw $96.00   KD   $120.00 each
ARKANSAWYER

logwalker

Hey Steve, I know that area you are talking about. I kept my boat a Warrenton for a year and grew up near Portland. What a shame to hear about all that wood on the ground. Have you gone to look at the areas in question? Who actually owns the trees? Are you working on a plan? The problem as I see it is there just isn't a good market now. With the shipping available in Astoria I would be looking to Asia for buyers. That area around Astoria has always been looking for a shot in the arm. Portland has always kept them under their thumb, if you know what I mean. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

logwalker

As far as price I have been getting $1.60 bf for timbers that size. That would be $192.
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

KnotBB

Thanks, guys.  Numbers mean a lot when I'm trying to do this long distance.

The other day I got a quote from a major D. Fir mill for #1 FOHC, KD for 2300/m
Premimium wood for sure and Hemlock is always behind fir by 20 - 30% in price.  But a darn site more than commodity wood which is where this is headed right now.

No, I havn't gone to see the wood yet but tempted to next week.  I need to see the sizes and ring count.  Some of those trees could have two rings per inch which would be a show stopper.

With the market the way it is right now 12" Hemlock is being chipped.  A  12" Hemlock will make a 9" x 9" timber and they are plenty strong.  Just have to find the right market.  I hate to see all that wood chipped or sent overseas. 

Any idea of what the most common sizes are used in timber framing?  Maybe I could cut some on spec and try to sell them. 

KnotBB

Hey Logwalker just read your bio and saw type.  I always thought by the handle your drove swingers, not a mizer. 
Astoria got killed by the Tillamook burn and never really recovered.  The regrowth is just now hitting stride after 80 years.  The railroad is even down right now and won't be repaired for another two or so months because of storm damage.  I spent two weeks at Warrenton, well Camp Rileya, with the Air Guard several years ago camping out.  My kind of country with the low population. 

8) Want a working vacation this summer on the beautiful Oregon Coast?  I think I might know where there's some wood to cut and even a little left over for a camp fire!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: KnotBB on February 18, 2008, 02:21:17 AM
Any idea of what the most common sizes are used in timber framing?

There aren't really any common sizes. Other than standard stuff like what would be used for about anything. 6x6, 8x8, 6x8, 8x10, that sort of thing.
I'd make them as big as the log will make and store that size and re-mill later when you have an order. Some frames us 5x7's and 5x9's, everything can be custom.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ARKANSAWYER

TWO RINGS PER INCH!   I would cull that log.   Do they really grow that fast?

ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!