iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thieves!

Started by Jeff, November 07, 2012, 12:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Thieve of the furry kind.  Not 10 yards from the cabin, we have a little trailer with sugar beets in it. We keep it covered at night. We don't bait with them per say, but we have several spots on trails all over the property where we put one beet at a time. Our theory is, to keep deer moving all over the property rather than having them go to one particular spot all the time. We have tried to create trails, and continue to do so, and trails leading to and from the edges of the properties, as deer will naturally follow a trail and we want neighboring deer to feel free to visit  ;D. The more the does move around, hopefully the more bucks will choose to follow. Every morning, the beets we put out are gone from the day before, and the trails are really getting tracked up. We created some fake scrapes, and are npow observing deer tracks in the scrapes.

Anyhow, the last few mornings I've got up and found the tarp pulled off the trailer, and beets on the ground. I knew it was deer, as you could tell by the way the beets were gnawed on. I set up a camera yesterday morning and caught two of the little buggers in the act. :)  I do wonder whey the deer are coming right up in the yard to steel beets out od a trailer when there is no snow on the ground yet. I wonder if the normal food sources are not there due to the very dry summer.  The deer in the photo look kind of puny, but there is a drop off of about a foot into the alders where they are standing, however I think they are young deer.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

Puny is a comparative thing.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Your Deer are removing your tarp?.... :D :D :D :D :D

This reminds me of studying evolution in school.

Next year your Deer will be wearing gloves. :D

DanG good pics!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

I put some firewood on top of the tarp today.

chain

I'm not buying into this yet, as you know I'm from the 'show-me' State, want to see deer pull off tarp and fold 'er up!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: chain on November 07, 2012, 07:56:21 PM
I'm not buying into this yet, as you know I'm from the 'show-me' State, want to see deer pull off tarp and fold 'er up!

Chain.....if Jeff puts up a pic of his Deer pulling off that tarp, Im gonna roll !  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPIKER

I want to see them cutting them up with a knife & fork :D   We have them getting into stuff pretty hard to figure they run on instincts and grass alone.    they have a bit if ingenuity when something smells good/bad for sure.
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jeff

The tarp is only slightly larger than the trailer. I don't know if they are pulling it off or what, but I know it was off two mornings in a row with now wind those nights. Its weighted down now, so it won't be coming off.

Chuck White

A few years ago, during bow season we went and picked a pail of apples and put them in the back of the truck, then went hunting!

When we got back in sight of the truck, there were 3 does standing within arms reach of the truck, we assumed they smelled the apples and came to investigate.

When we got close to the truck, the deer wandered off, so we took a few of the apples and tossed them out for the deer and we went on home.

Of course, the next day none of the apples were left!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Deer are coming into the garden eating the spinach and the swiss chard. I guess they are hungry. No beets for them to eat. Wife made something with apples and did not want the peelings,I throw them out back. Gone the next morning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Now you've gone and done it, those deer have got a sweet tooth now! You have just made some new sugar-beet addicts.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

chevytaHOE5674

Over on this end of da UP I've never seen this many deer or deer this adventurous/brave in finding food. I've had deer coming in the barn during the daylight and eating hay, also had them trying to share grain with the cattle, coming on the porch during the day and eating flowers next to the front door, etc.

Had a few easy winters and good summers to cause an explosion in deer population, this summer there was no apples, and the grass wasn't the best. If we get any length of cold and snow like a normal winter I foresee lots of winter mortality.

Okrafarmer

Then I guess you guys need to get out there and cause some PRE-winter mortality. Would be too bad to let a natural resource go to waste.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ron Scott

I had a landowner client who left a mesh bag of sugar beets at his deer blind to bait with. The next morning he came to the blind in the dark where he heard some unexpected noise and  commotion. A buck was trying to open the bag of beets and at daylight he quickly shot a nice 10 point buck. It was one of the largest bucks shot in the area that year. ;)
~Ron

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 08, 2012, 09:35:20 AM
Then I guess you guys need to get out there and cause some PRE-winter mortality. Would be too bad to let a natural resource go to waste.

Most of them are does and unless your bow hunting you can't shoot a doe over here. Nobody in my family really eats venison so I don't really hunt much anymore. I've told everybody I know that hunts to come over and take one or two with their bow but so far nobody has showed up...

Thank You Sponsors!