iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How I made my sawyer happy

Started by Cuz, April 25, 2005, 02:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuz

8)  I just finished some of the hardest and most fun days I have ever had!  Definitely harder and way more fun than pulling double shifts in a cotton mill way back before...I can hardly remember that far back.  Anyway, we sawed pine, red oak, and a bunch of tulip poplar...close to 5 millio(felt like it)...I mean thousand bf.  Well, some of you know that poplar grows mostly in the bottoms where the mud is.  And the logs got pretty muddy in the process.  Had to go in there with a trackhoe...that's another story.

Anyway, when the sawyer showed up with his LT 40 and a crippled helper the fun started.  The first day we got rolling pretty good and the mill broke down.  Some bearings in the feed propulsion...ya'll know more about that than I pretend to, started acting up.  The crippled helper was killing me to watch him try to work.  He was a young fellow with torn quad muscles in one leg (then he proceeded to catch a board on his other quad and get a nice charlie horse, then the bee stung him) so he got left home the next day.  Then, it's down to me and the sawyer and a big pile of logs.  Well, we did it, to make a shorter version.

Anyway, back to "how to make him happy".  Seems the pressure washer I borrowed from work (the easy work) really made him smile.  It knocked that mud and sand off pretty good and excepting the one huge  pine log with nails in the center.  We changed very few blades...oh, yeah, he hit that support post once.
Youse guys up north might need a steam jenny in the winter!  I'm sure mine was not an original idea, but I had not run across it yet, so I was kinda proud.

One other thing I think I learned working that mill (or, vise versa).  It will either bring out the best or the worst in a person when the going gets tough.  My guy was one of the best...not too sure about that helper though?? I'm just glad I have prescription for Celebrex!  I told him about Forestry Forum.  I hope he will check it out.  Cuz.   
Love the smell of sawdust in the morning...and lurking on this site!

pigman

Sawyers like clean logs 8). It doesn't matter how the customer gets them that way, as long as they are clean. I have never washed any logs with a power washer, but i have sawn several on site that I would have tried washing if it was available. I have the debarker on my WM and it does a good job if the bark is smooth. On rough bark logs that have been dragged down a gravel road I change blades often. :( What part of Afghanistan are you located? ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!