iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The frame in the cove

Started by Don P, August 25, 2005, 10:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Thought y'all would like to see some shots from today. We've had a busy week, started picking things up today. I'm just a grunt in this phase, a timberframe company from about an hour north of us did the frame in white oak.

Off to the showers, tomorrow's another day  8)

TN_man

Great pics 8)
You sure will have a nice view there.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

logman

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Don P

It is a beautiful place to work. Deer, bear, bobcat. The bobcat fell out of a tree when Edwin was bushogging the pasture beside us, we figured it woke up, startled, and fell on its bee-hind  :D. Its 5 miles as the crow flies from the house. We live 2 ridges over that mountain in the background, 27 miles by road and 45 minutes drive time. If you look at a VA map and find Mt Rogers, then track east along that finger of the Nat'l Forest, between hwy 21 and 94, its just a few miles before the forest bumps into the New River. A friend of yours was building in there logman, he did some very nice work. His son will probably do our stonework, he's done some good work in there also. I've taken the forest service road thru the forest several times going home, it comes out just a mile or so from our house. One week I drove it every day, a couple of the steep mountainsides were totally covered in purple rhododendron with flame azaleas scattered in with them, just beautiful.

We had another good day today. Threatened rain all day and sprinkled a couple times but it held off till about 6:30. Got the major part up, the hard part is yet to come.

tnlogger

Don nice looking frame there and them boys look like they are injoying the work  8)
gene

Norm

Great pictures Don, thanks for showing us. :)

logman

Nice looking frame.  That's why I asked, I'd heard him talking about the
cove.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Don P

The framing crew and sips crew have finished their parts, thought y'all might want to see how its coming. I've been scurrying in this fine dry spell to get skylites in and paper on the roof

Inside view of the large gable bumpout opposite the entry pictured above. Fitting that thing was a bear! You'll never see another like it, and don't copy it, you'll be sorry. DanG computers  :D

Norm

Looks great Don, that gable bumpout must have been a bear to fit up but it sure is nice looking. How many square feet is this house?

Don P

Speaking of wildlife  ;D...we saw the bobcat this morning on the way in, that thing is big. He was moving across the freshly mown hayfield for cover when we pulled in, what a sight.

I'm not sure of square footage Norm, I think I came up at 1700' per floor for the basement and main and then two upstairs bedrooms connected by a central bridge across the foyer/living room under the 12/12 pitch. It's not huge but work enough to keep us hopping for some time...winter's a-comin!

I will let you all know for future edification the problem with the valley area. If you look at the main supporting purlin where the valleys and ridge come together, it is square and laid in plane with the roof. This made the connection undercut or acute. The valley's bottom housing is a plumb drop in. The joint is bigger on the bottom than the top...DUH! The purlin in that kind of situation should have a plumb face. Out on the job we decided whoever drew that acute angle was definitely obtuse  ;D. The crane operator read an entire Stephen King novel while we called back and forth, whittled, cussed, and figured some more. Definitely an expensive way to do things, it slipped past everybody. Just one of those things that you live and learn from, it taught me to pay more attention to those areas of TF plans more carefully in the future.

While I'm fessing up to difficulties on the job there was an injury that you all might benefit from knowing about, it might save someone else some grief in the future. During bent assembly we rigged straps and come-alongs to pull the parts together. A strap was hit by a drill and damaged. It ended up in another pull that needed alot of force and broke, sending a man flying. He landed across a bent on the floor and broke a rib. Thankfully, although it was bad enough, it was no worse. Always, always, throw damaged lifting or pulling straps off the deck and get rid of them. Several years ago I had one slap me upside the head in a log wall pull when it parted, luckily I'm hardheaded and got back up after a few minutes. Yes, it is hard to throw away something that appears only slightly damaged. Damaged rigging can kill you...or worse, someone else. Secondly always brace yourself in a pull against the possibility that something will let go. I learned early on working on cars that if you don't want busted knuckles you need to be prepared for when the bolt does break loose, a pull is no different.

I did get the paper, ice and water shield and skylights in this week. We moved in the solarium materials and mahogany entry doors in this morning. Think I'll take it easy, rip some trim and ride the mower this afternoon  8)

Don P

We got the windows in the high front bumpout in yesterday, that was a big load off.  It really frames the view from inside. I drove the Lull down in the pasture and picked Michelle up, she got a good shot from that angle. We started siding the end gable today. The deck will wrap around there. I left it off this side for now to get the crane in, it'll end up like the area the scaffold is on.

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!