iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor vs skid steer

Started by CX3, May 02, 2018, 10:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Why is it that most guys are using a 4wd tractor over a skid steer? It seems to me the skid steer would be much more versatile in the woods?
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Skeans1

Weight and ground clearance are an issue with a skid steer, but they're a great tool in your tool box.

thecfarm

Does a skid steer have a rear PTO? Ground clearance,as said too. I have 18 inches with my tractor. With rocks I go over,a skid steer would have a hard time.
I could use a skid steer too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

Agree with all above.

Love a skid steer clearing fence rows when the ground is hard.

Loading logs...  A skid steer can do it, but a tractor has surer footing.  Ours doesn't have a weight kit, and is only a JD 250, but getting a closeup of the ground tipping from just cedar scrub in a grapple is plenty to understand a SSL limitations.  (Oh, and always wear the seatbelt!   ;))

That and SSL are lousy at pulling loads out.  Can load and pull with a 4x4 tractor with loader.

If you go with a SSL, get a heavy one and a weight kit.  Maybe tracks.  The guys at Turner Logging seem to  love theirs, but it's in addition to skidders and only stands alone on very small jobs.  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

dsroten

My father in law has a tree service type business (removal and pruning and the like), and uses a larger skid steer with a grapple bucket.  It works great and picks up most everything he latches onto.  But it won't reach high enough to load my log truck, so there's that.  I'm using a larger JD tractor (6430) at the moment to load with until I get my old prentice loader remounted on another truck.  

Another guy close to me that is doing some small-scale logging has been using a skid steer to skid logs with, but he seems dissatisfied.  I still skid some with a 4WD tractor (5410 JD) and homemade 3pt winch and it works but it's a little slow.  Its small enough to scoot around in woods but on a big stem it doesn't quite have the weight to really pull.  The larger tractor will really tug but is big and tall and I don't want to be busting glass out of it.  So now I have an older skidder.  But as has been said, each machine has its uses.     

nativewolf

Quote from: TKehl on May 03, 2018, 08:33:15 AM
Agree with all above.

Love a skid steer clearing fence rows when the ground is hard.

Loading logs...  A skid steer can do it, but a tractor has surer footing.  Ours doesn't have a weight kit, and is only a JD 250, but getting a closeup of the ground tipping from just cedar scrub in a grapple is plenty to understand a SSL limitations.  (Oh, and always wear the seatbelt!   ;))

That and SSL are lousy at pulling loads out.  Can load and pull with a 4x4 tractor with loader.

If you go with a SSL, get a heavy one and a weight kit.  Maybe tracks.  The guys at Turner Logging seem to  love theirs, but it's in addition to skidders and only stands alone on very small jobs.  
Turner Logging mostly uses his on the floodplains which are very open and rock free compared to the forest we have here.  Nice guy, very approachable.  He's going to the Richmond Forestry show in 2 weeks.
I have a massive tractor that is unarmored, use it to mulch but it gets hydraulics ripped off all the time.  I'd be worried about any skidsteer without a forestry package roaming around in the forest.  Even then it better be tracked, sort of a must have.  
Liking Walnut

Stoneyacrefarm

Another thing to think about. 
When pulling with a tractor you are going forward and not backwards like with a skid steer. 
Tracks wear out a lot faster than tires on a tractor do. 
I traded my skid steer in for a tractor 5 years ago and have no regrets. 
I finally bought a skidder to keep my tractors out of the woods to avoid the broken glass and hose issues mentioned above. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

reelman65

Definitely watching this thread. I was thinking that a tracked skid steer would be best for non farming, field maintenance activities. 
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

moodnacreek

A skid steer has to small a foot print. When you hit a mud hole the whole machine is in it. With a 4 whl. drive tractor the wheels are spread out more. In a yard the skid steer is much faster than the tractor.

SNAFU

skid steer does not like steep ground,real tippy going over backwards

CX3

I have a 648g3 skidder.  I was wanting to add a piece of equipment to the line up. I have a 2wd farm tractor with loader but want to replace it with either a skid steer or a 4wd tractor. It sounds like the tractor is the way to go. I definitely want something with a shuttle shift or power reversed type tranny. It would be checkers loading logs or hay
You Better Believe It!

mike_belben

In farm country a 4wd tractor with loader thatll handle logs is about 2x as expensive as the skid steer.
Praise The Lord

YellowHammer

I have what CX3 describes, custom order New Holland, T4.95 about 100 hp, heavy duty front and rear end, dual pumps, hydraulic power shifter forward and reverse, and able to lift about double normal farm tractor capacity.  Thing about a tractor, it's designed to pull, and it doesn't matter if it's a plow, disk, or choker full of logs, something's going to happen when it goes into 4WD.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

mike_belben

Theres a guy in my area who logs with i believe that same model new holland 4wd with loader.  Its at my buddies shop getting front stub shafts pretty often.  The driver side inner that feeds power into the planetary set.  Sitting there now actually. 
Praise The Lord

TKehl

Quote from: CX3 on May 03, 2018, 09:47:02 PMIt would be checkers loading logs or hay

Tractor wins on hay to.  Can't see around the DanG bales on a skid steer.  It's alright in a pinch for short distances, but I've got 4 young kids and not enough visibility in a SSL as it is...

May look into a skip loader or backhoe with removable hoe.  The perks are the loaders and front axles are designed for loading, not just an add on,  and will have better lift capacity for their size.  Plus they usually have shuttle shift or better.

Power reverser is nice.  Had that on my bosses tractor when I worked hog barns.  Too rich for our operation though.  :(  Our newest is a JD 2755 with 4x4.  :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Skeans1

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 03, 2018, 11:02:01 PM
I have what CX3 describes, custom order New Holland, T4.95 about 100 hp, heavy duty front and rear end, dual pumps, hydraulic power shifter forward and reverse, and able to lift about double normal farm tractor capacity.  Thing about a tractor, it's designed to pull, and it doesn't matter if it's a plow, disk, or choker full of logs, something's going to happen when it goes into 4WD.
I agree to a point but AG is medium  duty compared to forestry same with construction. Just for example take a 200 size dirt excavator for dirt or farm it's be fine, now put in the brush you need all new pans, heavier side panels, cab guard or new cab, cat walks, boom, bigger longer under carriage, full rock guard is just the tip of the iceberg.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: mike_belben on May 03, 2018, 10:12:02 PM
In farm country a 4wd tractor with loader thatll handle logs is about 2x as expensive as the skid steer.
Things are different all around the country. Because UP here in farm country a decent skid steer will cost you way more than a tractor. 

Case and point 3 years ago I bought this 100hp mfwd tractor with loader for 15k and have done nothing to it but use it daily. Loader will lift 5k lbs without any trouble. A skid steer with a cab and AC that will lift half that weight will cost you 25k plus around here.

As for axles breaking that is completely operator error. Put that guy in SS and watch how he would snap one of the tiny stub axles or wimpy chain drives.

Stoneyacrefarm

Nice tractor Chevy!!
For 15k ?
That's a sweet deal. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mike_belben

I agree, pricing is regional.  I could make a living hauling stuff from the north to the south if DOT would let me.  Pickups and junky cars are 2x more expensive here, go figure.  10k will get you a good skid steer every day here, 15k will get you a 2008 or newer track machine.  Older big 4wd loader tractors with cabs are 20k and up.  10k will get you a big 2wd loader but not 4wd.  Unless its a mahindra or some such toy.  Theres just so much hay and brush to mow.   Tractor demand is very very high.  Skid steer cant go on a lot of our ground most of the year.  Skidders start at 8k clapped out and go up from there. 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: CX3 on May 03, 2018, 09:47:02 PM
I have a 648g3 skidder.  I was wanting to add a piece of equipment to the line up. I have a 2wd farm tractor with loader but want to replace it with either a skid steer or a 4wd tractor. It sounds like the tractor is the way to go. I definitely want something with a shuttle shift or power reversed type tranny. It would be checkers loading logs or hay
my tractor is a 51hp Mahindra 5520 4x4

wish the Farmi winch had a receiver hitch

made a chainsaw box. the lid is also the work table

"let the machines do the work"

chevytaHOE5674

There is a tractor jockey UP here that goes down to Missouri and hauls tractors north because he says they are way cheaper and abundant down there than in this region. He often makes 2x trips a week hauling cheap hay from here to there, then returns with cheap tractors and equipment from there.

CX3

Mike bring me one if those good 10k skid steers ill pay your fuel and a steak dinner
You Better Believe It!

mike_belben

Youll not like the impound fees i tend to incur!
Praise The Lord

CX3

Man I'd jump on a good one for 10k seriously.

You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!