iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large maple at MACS apples

Started by woodmills1, July 17, 2005, 01:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Cut a very large maple at Macs apple orchard in Londonderry this morning.  You may remember a thread about the tree, started by Lenny M.
Used the 066 to rip full bar along the length.

ripped through after flipping, with fork lift

drove a long wedge and two mauls into the cut the lifted them apart with the fork lift.

then had at it.  cut some nice 8/4 by 22"  and then cut the smaller piece into 4/4 and 8/4 with one live edge.  Got some nice 3x3 and 4x4 turning stock also.  Only one square cut nail was found.  I figure around at least 400 maybe up to 600 bd ft from the almost 9 foot 39" log.  Started packing at 7 AM and was home by 12.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tom

What a chore!   I dread seeing those big logs anymore.   Y'all did a good job of splitting it.
What'cha gonna do with the 8/4?

Makes you wish the fellow that planted it could have been there.

woodmills1

Interestingly this was a for pay job.  5 hours at $50 per, with the wood going to 3 people.  One the current owner at Macs, second a long time worker at the orchard who says that he hadn't seen any iron put in the tree for some 30 years, and third a woodworker friend of the owners who lives just down the street from me and also builds addarondak (sp) chairs using hand tools.  Some of the tree will be used to make picture frames to hang in the orchard store and office and some of the 22" stuff will make table tops or desks for use on site.  All in all this is one of the more rewarding jobs I have done with 2 other pluses.  The chair builder wants some nice straight 6 foot sections of oak and others for splitting into bolts for chairs and the orchard owner is talking about topping my apple trees and grafting new stock to produce cider apples. cool cool cool :D 8) :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kedwards

i Love the big ones..  ;D Send all the huge cherry and walnut my way..
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

woodmills1

just a few inches smaller and I would have just chucked it up and cut it.  this one however I knew was too big. ;D

AtLast

EXCELLANT JOB!!!!! 8)....perseverance paid off.......not only that but you overcame obsticals...and VERY well at that....GREAT JOB...just goes to show us sawmillers got the know how and ability.... 8)

woodbowl

Somewhere on the forum, I thought I remembered seeing a picture of a big log like this being jacked apart with a regular hydraulic jack. They made a starter cut, cut a pocket for the jack to sit in and busted it right down the middle.................Anybody got first hand account in doing something like this? It sounds like a dandy idea. I've had to turn down jobs because the logs were just too big to fit my LT-40.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

jrokusek

Quote from: woodbowl on July 18, 2005, 08:51:44 AM
Somewhere on the forum, I thought I remembered seeing a picture of a big log like this being jacked apart with a regular hydraulic jack. They made a starter cut, cut a pocket for the jack to sit in and busted it right down the middle.................Anybody got first hand account in doing something like this? It sounds like a dandy idea. I've had to turn down jobs because the logs were just too big to fit my LT-40.

Didn't someone on this forum also use blackpowder to bust a log in half?  I think the method was the same as what's listed above, just substitute gun powder for the jack.  I'd like to find that again.

Jim

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!