iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coming Along Slowly but Surely

Started by Glenn1, July 05, 2015, 08:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn1

I received my 24' gooseneck trailer in June and ordered the steel for the bolsters.  The installation went better than expected and I am pleased with it.   I'd like to thank Yellow Hammer  for all of his suggestions and help. He has been instrumental in every phase of my new business.

Last week, I made two runs to pick up walnut, cherry, and poplar (for skids and stickers).  Brought it to a local sawmill and I was very impressed how careful he was taking the logs from the trailer.

Later this week, I have the logger bringing 17's to the sawmill which will include more walnut, cherry, white oak, sycamore, and maple.  I'll have the white oak cut flat as well as quartersawn for the larger logs.  All the sycamore will be quartersawn. 

This weekend, we started building a pole barn.  First mistake was putting the crushed concrete down first (it will be the floor surface).  I brought in a Bobcat with an 18" auger to drill the holes.  It worked very well until hole # 12 when we hit our water line.  Never thought our line would run straight thru the woods.  $400 later, it was repaired by a plumber.  (Plumbing is not my specialty.)  The Bobcat just destroyed the crushed surface and the rain certainly did not help.  Looks like I will need more loads of the crushed concrete when the job is complete.  I hired my stepson to help with the  38 x 60 foot barn.  I surmise that it will take a long time to get this barn finished since he has a full time job.  But I am sure that it will get finished.  Now I am up to date.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

WDH

Wow.  You ain't messin' around. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom the Sawyer

Glenn,

Looks like that trailer can haul a lot of material, what are you pulling it with?

Good luck with your barn project, they're never big enough.   ;)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Glenn1

WDH, I can't wait for the day when money is finally coming in.  By the way, your new roof and sawmill look superb.

Tom, glad to hear from you.  My daughter in law has a Chevy 2500 truck and she very graciously is letting me use it until I can afford one.  I want a diesel dually so I realize it won't come cheap.   ;D
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

YellowHammer

That looks great!  You are making progress for sure. Love the trailer.   8) 8)
Too bad about the water line.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Tree Dan

Wow that trailer is bad to the bone....You will love hauling with a goose neck 8) its like night and day from a bumper hitch...congrats!
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Thank You Sponsors!