iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log hauling

Started by eddie, January 24, 2010, 12:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky_Ranger

I didn't say we were exempt from Federal laws - read the post; he's asking about a gooseneck trailer or a truck to haul his logs.  Here in this state, he can run a trailer tag and can pull with a 3/4 ton pickup truck.  If he is hauling Interstate then ICC will come into play - but not with a gooseneck and pickup.  If he uses a 2 ton or so truck, he'll buy a weighted tag, I believe it's called a "B" here, depending on payload.   As for tie downs or "wrappers", that'll depend on the state; Oregon requires 5, Colorado 3, and Arkansas, as best as I can tell, - 2 for a trailer truck (~ 80,000lbs.).  Arkansas Highway Police administers these, as well as being "the weigh boys".
RETIRED!

bill m

If you call and order something from out of state and your truck never even leaves your yard you are conducting interstate commerce and are required by law to comply Including your trucks.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Don K

Those 6X6's make the ultimate doall trucks. I would love to have one.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

woodmills1

Ifin ya gots a truck or trailer over 10,000 gvw geta DOT number at least.  yes highway runs give the most exposure to staties or federal, but even local runs can trigger multiple infractions, all costly.  Once you file for DOT number at least the police know you are trying to be legit.  Without the number      UR....... toast, hey you may never get pulled over, but then.......................maybe ya will....  I have had a Dot federal number since 1987,  saved my pore DanG butt more than once.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Meadows Miller

Gday

Bugger it farmer if could get away with it id be doin it too  ;) ;D 8) 8) waita second i have  ;) Heres a pic of my Acco with 24' tray its regularly had loads of 20' footers  stacked as high as the front rack which is 6' high  guessing about 13 to14  ton load which aint bad on an 8-9 ton truck with out looking illagal which is about what its got on it on the pics as each of those Ironbark bridge beams are about 30' long n weigh abit over two ton ea  

That reminds me once i got pulled over with about 13 ton on er and the copper asks how much have you got on reply bout 8 ton how much can you carry ? about 8.7 ton we left it at that luckly  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ironwood

Woodmills,

My buddy recently saw the light to the tune of $1500. DOT#, log book, fire extinquiser, triangles, med card, and some other stuff, were all missing from his 3/4 ton w/ gooseneck. Cop made him drop the trailer and come back for it 10 hours later as no log book meant he could have been driving over the 14 hour limit (14 hours to drive 10 hour). He was 3 hours from home.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Rocky_Ranger

I'm glad I live in a farm state, three things on a check - license (CDL or not), weight - CDL only, and liability.  I'm tellin' ya farm products are exempt.  Logs non-commercially hauled are farm products.  Logs commercially hauled are NR (natural resource) tags and do come under DOT - 80,000 Lbs.  I've been stopped numerous times and never ticketed.  Only time close was hauling a Cat 7G without a license (expired tag).  I did have an escourt and got only a warning.  I've hauled logs all over the state with a gooseneck and the weights and measure guys just wave.

All this is pre-9/11, after 9/11 all I've done is hauled a couple load of cattle on a goosenck.  My life completely changed 9/11/2001, not because of the event itself but just a parallel set of circumstances that just so happened to coincide with that disaster..... 
RETIRED!

woodmills1

I also learned the hard way, though because of already having a DOT number and due to my ability to talk to a rock and have a meaningful conversation I was pretty well spared.

I was doing a final pick up at a job almost out by the coast, on my way home 101 west to 93 south.  had a half a load of junky spruce long and ugly.  Just before my exit I spot a state DOT car with a white van pulled over( I think the van driver was relieving himself and got caught)  they musta been just done with him cause they pulled out behind me and followed me on the ramp, turning their blues on just before the end.

I pull over and the male passenger starts to measure my overhang and the female driver comes up to the truck and says why don't you have your seatbelt on.....I say cause NH doesn't have a seatbelt law.  She says with a 10,000+ pound trailer you fall under federal rules

seatbelt, flares or triangles, medical card, chocks, fire extinguisher, spare fuses, log book

I am looking at 7 tickets ranging from 60 to 120 bucks each.

they ask for a DOT number and I give it.....they check me out on computor and ask me what I haul, is it my wood or others.....I mention I used to be a teacher....the guy says  didn't ya wanna just hit those kids.....I say well maybe yes but ya just can't

and don't you want to hit half of the people you pull over

he says   I CAN.....we start laughing, slappin each other on the back smokin cigaretts  and they give me one ticket for no seat belt....got all the other stuff installed the next day.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ahlkey

In Wisconsin it doesn't matter if you are a FARM with farm plates, etc...you still need a DOT registration for any vehicle above 10,000 GVR.  It is free and simple to get but the you have all the other requirements as previously mentioned.

As far as a CDL requirement you do not need one as long as you are under 26,000lbs GVWR with your truck and if you pulling a trailer that needs to be no more than 10,000LBS.  However, if you are loaded to the max it may still be a good idea to have a CDL.   

Thank You Sponsors!