iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

purchase of John Deere 440B and need advice on everything

Started by Frozendozer, October 05, 2018, 01:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frozendozer

I just got a jd440B  delivered last Monday drive it 20.minutes and then shut it down.  I had to go to work and won't be at it for a couple weeks.  It has a power shift  and seems like a nice machine. 

it did not come with any manuals so I am at the bottom of the learning curve and need some advice on many things before I fire it up and get to work.  Checking the engine oil is straight forward, but what about everything else such as the transmission differentials and winch?  what type of fluid does the transmission use?  what about the winch?

when I put it in gear and let out the clutch nothing happens until I pull s lever on my left side, then you can tell it engage.  is this normal operation?  should I.keep the clutch in then pull the lever?  The winch also operates when I pull the lever. 

how does the winch control work? is the lever all the way forward to lock the winch, how about free spoiling? 

I what type of anti freeze should I use?

I used to have a c5 tree farmer, but everything was manual and pretty much bozo proof, but with this power shift, it's got me worried that this bozo is going to break something before it earns enough to repair it.

Satamax

Frozendozer, i'm sure there was a similar thread about the transmission few months back. I've had a quick look. But can't find it. 

Check http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=search2
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Frozendozer

I tired the link you sent  BUT it just looped back go the forum page

Satamax

Yep, it sends you to the search page.  I can't seem to link to the actual search. But put 440 in the earch field. And check two or three pages of links, you should find a fair bit of info. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

dnash

I wouldnt recommend running the engine with the engine clutch disengaged unless you also destroke the hydraulic pump. 
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Frozendozer

I am not certain what that means.   I should pull the lever on the left as soon as u get the beast running?  

dnash

The only time you should need to pull the lever (engine clutch disconnect) is when starting in real cold weather; it is easier on the starter. Once the engine is running well, push the lever back forward. There is a charge pump in the transmission that feeds oil to the main pump on the front of the engine. If you keep the engine clutch disengaged for too long, there will be no oil fed to the main pump and eventually it will burn out.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Dan W

I owned a 440 A for 30 years with the power shift tranny.  I agree with dnash's advice.  Use clutch lever only for starting.  Use foot pedal only in emergency.  There is a hydraulic oil filler and level stick in front of the seat. It is the only reservoir and also feeds the front differential. The rear diff is not included.  The winch has it's own hydraulic reservoir.  Don't let the oil get milky, change the filter often to prevent freezing and breaking the cover.  Just a few small things I learned!

Frozendozer

Thanks Dan W and dnash I could use all the help and advice I can get.  talking with a heavy duty mechanic, who only worked on cat products, that the power shift transmission would use hydraulic oil. Is this true also for the diff's? Does the engine use a specific type of anti freeze?   It sure would be nice to keep this beast operational long enough to earn it's next repair cost first.

jd540b

Antifreeze isn't as critical as is John deere coolant additive.  It keeps bubbles from forming in the coolant.  When those bubbles hit the sleeves, they pop and chew away at them.  It will look like someone shot them will bird shot.  Eventually it will work through and the sleeves will start leaking coolant.

Maine logger88

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!